Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

What's a good alternative to Rosetta Stone/Pimsleur?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old February 05, 2009, 10:12 AM
Banned

TroubledStudent is on a distinguished road
What's a good alternative to Rosetta Stone/Pimsleur?

I've tried those two programs and I really don't like using them. I get bored after only a few lessons, and I feel like I'd learn quicker just by reading easy books with a dictionary. I want a newer more engaging approach, maybe something with humor, or some sort of interesting content.

If anyone has any suggestions, I really need help!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 05, 2009, 10:17 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear that those programs aren't working for you. I don't have any program advice to offer. However, making friends with native speakers (if possible) and asking them to help you learn would be a great alternative. Native speakers are generally willing to help if they know you're sincere. You'll need to supplement your learning with reading, listening to radio stations and/or watching TV/movies in Spanish. And you can ask your questions here. We'll be glad to help you sort everything out. Your friends may not be able to explain the grammar.
Old February 05, 2009, 12:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Although I have had a lot of success using Rosetta Stone (so far!), I understand that not every method works for everyone. My first recommendation is: TOMÍSIMO.org!!! This place is GREAT!! If you spend a good amount of time every day perusing the forums, dictionaries, grammar section, and blogs you will learn a LOT. You can supplement with google searches on points of grammar that aren't covered here. And, of course, as Rusty pointed out, it's very important to talk with someone who is fluent....
Old February 05, 2009, 12:50 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Simply hearing and reading as much Spanish as you can is very important.
Old February 05, 2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

ProfessoraLinda is on a distinguished road
Tomismo is absolutely right about that, exposure is the most important thing. There are alternative programs that I recommend to my students, but watching Spanish television and listening to Spanish radio is also very helpful.

If you want to try another program for learning grammar, vocab, and conversational Spanish, you'd probably want to check out <snip>. A lot of my students have found it very useful. It moves very quickly and they recommend that you watch each segment multiple times, but it's laden with humor and explains concepts very clearly.

Feel free to send me a message on the boards if you have any questions.

Last edited by Rusty; February 05, 2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Removed advertising
Old February 05, 2009, 03:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I can't recommend, you use the machine translate or other kind of machine translate from website as Google, Yahoo, or Altavista, because if you use the machine translate it would can result bad idea in your own translations, then I can telling you that the best idea or way to learn faster the language is if you can enter to websites where you can expressing you freely any comment or idea yours, for example, there are overmuch website seems to Tomisimo.org, or also you can find some website where you can talk with Latins, or if you have Latins friends, also you can talk with them, really if you do the practice more efficient in your conversations, you in a period near, you will see, you have learnt so much faster than entering to website and consulting a little words, look, I have around of nine months learning English here at Tomisimo, and at most never I have used the website or other kind of program for learn my English, but always there's a (but), only you can learn of a way very effect if you endeavor alot during your learning, if you are teacher then you must to know, I'm talking about, I don't know about programs of learning at Spanish, only I know above this website, but you are free to find other choses, you have internet connection, you can surf at the main internet middle websites and pages that speaks above sundries way to learn very fast languages, but I'm believer of the practice.
Old February 05, 2009, 08:39 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English, United States
ZeroTX is on a distinguished road
I would recommend Learning Spanish Like Crazy. I found it interesting.

Frankly, if you're looking to be entertained while you learn, then you're not serious enough about learning and never will get where you want to be.

Last edited by Tomisimo; February 06, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Restored original post
Old February 05, 2009, 09:04 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Irish-Canadian English and Andalusian Spanish.
Planet hopper is on a distinguished road
I've been following Hola que tal, the TVE international programme. I believe on learning based on media, it works!
Old February 06, 2009, 10:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Have you TV international on Kuwait?
Old February 06, 2009, 11:51 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Simply hearing and reading as much Spanish as you can is very important.
I totally agree with David. Here are a few links where you can listen to dialogues in MP3 format and download the transcripts in PDF format. Each has a 7 day free trial, so try them out and see if either one or both work for you.

http://spanishpod.com/
http://www.spanishpod101.com/

Good luck in your studies

Tags
rosetta stone

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: