#1  
Old April 22, 2009, 07:49 AM
Fazor's Avatar
Fazor Fazor is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle of Ohio, USA
Posts: 626
Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Spanish on TV

This is just a random comment, but last night I was watching a NOVA episode that chronicled the progress of a half-dozen doctors as they progressed through Harvard Medical School, with a follow up episode that showed each over the next 20 years. It was extremely interesting to watch these people progress through their lives.

Anyway, at one point they showed one of the doctors working with a Spanish-speaking lady. I was happy to say that I understood a decent amount of the conversation (admittedly, it was pretty basic Spanish). "Hola. Como estas?" "Un poquito mejor."

I missed some of it because the narrator was talking over it, and there were a few parts that were too fast to catch. But I understood the opening stuff, and when they left to do an eye check. Made me happy that I could at least pick some things out from speech.
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #2  
Old April 22, 2009, 07:58 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
This is just a random comment, but last night I was watching a NOVA episode that chronicled the progress of a half-dozen doctors as they progressed through Harvard Medical School, with a follow up episode that showed each over the next 20 years. It was extremely interesting to watch these people progress through their lives.

Anyway, at one point they showed one of the doctors working with a Spanish-speaking lady. I was happy to say that I understood a decent amount of the conversation (admittedly, it was pretty basic Spanish). "Hola. Como estas?" "Un poquito mejor."

I missed some of it because the narrator was talking over it, and there were a few parts that were too fast to catch. But I understood the opening stuff, and when they left to do an eye check. Made me happy that I could at least pick some things out from speech.

Means that you understand more than you are willing to admit! :-)

If you watch movies in Spanish, which you have previously watched in English, it will bring a benefit.

I always recommend a movie instead of regular TV, because it has a story to tell, a thread to it. Where as just regular TV or commercials jump from one thing to another without much, and it leaves you with a negative feeling as to how much of the idiom you can handle, and that is negative enforcement. It keeps you down and shy.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
TJtacos's Avatar
TJtacos TJtacos is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 58
Native Language: English
TJtacos is on a distinguished road
TV

Yes Spanish TV is a good way to practice I like to watch the news because I am already familiar with the stories, and newscasters seem to speaks slower and annunciate their words more and a soap or other program.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 23, 2009, 03:01 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
It's a happyness when you understand almost everything of what you're listening in a foreigner language!, Well, I think,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 23, 2009, 06:02 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
It's a happyness when you understand almost everything of what you're listening in a foreigner language!, Well, I think,
Of course. It always works the same with everybody to whom I have talked about this.

Fisrt you hear the language like a sound, uachu, uachu, uachu, you don't understand anything, and suddenly say you hear: "open the door" and you become thrilled!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 23, 2009, 06:43 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,376
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I have selective understanding of Spanish. It depends upon the person. Sometimes I understand 100%, but other times 70% maybe.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 23, 2009, 07:44 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I have selective understanding of Spanish. It depends upon the person. Sometimes I understand 100%, but other times 70% maybe.
Probably is because of the accent/speech/pitch, education etc....

That is why I advise everybody to translate what you already know in your language to the other language, on the way to achieve this you'll learn some more in both languages.

One thing I realized early on, was the fact that I understood one person better than another, even though both were born in the same city, etc

I am sure the following has happened to you, and most likely to everybody:

You go with a friend to buy something to the the store, the clerk asks you, and you do not understand him. Obviously the clerk is American, but somehow you cannot make out what he is saying. On the contrary, your friend understand perfectly well, and answers to the clerk. You look at your friend amazed, and ask him:' Do you understand him", and your friend replies: "Yes, as clear as water!"

How do you feel?

Now when the same thing happens in your endeavor to try learning another language, the resulting feeling is sometimes so devastating that the person retreats and refuses to go on learning. In his/her head the excuses are generally that is too old to learn already, that maybe there is a lack of education etc...

BTW, are you Italian?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 23, 2009, 08:33 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,376
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
You're right it's accent, education, rhythm etc. I've noticed that certain countries have accents easier to understand that others.

Italiano-no soy.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 23, 2009, 09:33 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Here in Europe (not in Spain) most young people of several countries speak English as if they were bilingual. I prefer speak English with a German or a Dutch than with an English (or worse, an American!), I understand better people who has not English as their first language.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 23, 2009, 09:40 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
You're right it's accent, education, rhythm etc. I've noticed that certain countries have accents easier to understand that others.
Of course. To me I can understand better people from California than New York or Texas or the SOUTH

Although a little intent on listening might do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Italiano-no soy.
Oh? I though you name was Polidor@

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Here in Europe (not in Spain) most young people of several countries speak English as if they were bilingual. I prefer speak English with a German or a Dutch than with an English (or worse, an American!), I understand better people who has not English as their first language.
Because you accustomed you ear to those accents. Some Americans have real trouble understanding people from England or Australia.

It happens to us in Spanish too!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark this thread at:

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mexican Spanish and "Spanish" Spanish Jessica General Chat 3 February 16, 2009 08:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X