Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Did I translate these sentence correctly?

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old July 08, 2019, 03:50 PM
Opal

RexBanner is on a distinguished road
Did I translate these sentence correctly?

1. Carla is worried about her husband's wellbeing because the police refuse to tell her where they took him after arresting him.=Carla está preocupada por el bienestar de su marido porque el policía se niega a decirle a ella adonde se lo llevó después de detenerlo.

2. Raquel decided to adopt a puppy that had followed her home from the park, which isn't surprising because she's always had a soft spot for animals.=Raquel decidió adoptar un cachorro que la había seguido hasta casa desde el parque, lo cual no es sorprendente porque siempre ha tenido debilidad por animales.

3. The police officers were forced to shoot the neighbor's dog because it had attacked a child and didn't want to release him.=Los policías se vieron obligados a matar el perro del vecino a tiros porque había atacado a un niño y quiso soltarlo.

4. Carlos burried his mother next to his father who died 5 years prior.=Carlos le dio sepultura a su madre al lado de su padre que murió cinco años antes.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 08, 2019, 06:12 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post
1. Carla is worried about her husband's wellbeing because the police refuse to tell her where they took him after arresting him.=Carla está preocupada por el bienestar de su marido porque el policía se niega a decirle a ella adonde se lo llevó después de detenerlo.

2. Raquel decided to adopt a puppy that had followed her home from the park, which isn't surprising because she's always had a soft spot for animals.=Raquel decidió adoptar un cachorro que la había seguido hasta casa desde el parque, lo cual no es sorprendente porque siempre ha tenido debilidad ( I would use un amor especial) por animales.

3. The police officers were forced to shoot the neighbor's dog because it had attacked a child and didn't want to release him.=Los policías se vieron obligados a matar el perro del vecino a tiros porque había atacado a un niño y quiso soltarlo.

4. Carlos buried his mother next to his father who died 5 years prior.=Carlos le dio sepultura(I would use Carlos enterró a su madre al lado de su padre que murió cinco años antes.
========

Last edited by Rusty; July 08, 2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old July 08, 2019, 08:29 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Great job! Some comments and suggestions below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post
1. Carla is worried about her husband's wellbeing because the police refuse to tell her where they took him after arresting him.=Carla está preocupada por el bienestar (This is tricky, because we normally use "bienestar" in the sense of comfort and happiness, and here we're talking about something different: let me suggest a paraphrase, as I lack a better option: "Está preocupada por cómo está su esposo/marido") de su marido porque el policía se niega a decirle (a ella) (The context offers enough clarity; you may get rid of it) adonde se lo llevó después de detenerlo.

2. Raquel decided to adopt a puppy that had followed her home from the park, which isn't surprising because she's always had a soft spot for animals.=Raquel decidió adoptar un cachorro que la había seguido hasta casa (Not exactly wrong, but if you say "a casa" instead, it would sound better. Or "hasta su/la casa". "A casa" is a set phrase, while "hasta casa" sounds incomplete and we need a reference about which house you're talking about, despite the context.) desde el parque, lo cual no es sorprendente porque siempre ha tenido debilidad por los (We need the article here, because you're talking about all animals.) animales.
*I see Poli corrected "tener debilidad por", but this is completely acceptable in Spanish. His proposal would be acceptable too.

3. The police officers were forced to shoot the neighbor's dog because it had attacked a child and didn't want to release him.=Los policías se vieron obligados a matar el perro del vecino a tiros (Unless it's very important to know that the dog's been shot, you can get rid of "a tiros".) porque había atacado a un niño y no (I know this was just a typo, but it's important to keep the sense of the sentence) quiso ("Quiso" is not wrong, but for reasons of style I'd prefer "no quería", so "tuvieron que matarlo" is the act that ended the situation.) soltarlo.

4. Carlos burried his mother next to his father who died 5 years prior.=Carlos le dio sepultura a su madre al lado de su padre que murió (Same as the previous conjugation: not wrong, but a better time frame is given by "había muerto/fallecido") cinco años antes.
Old July 09, 2019, 09:33 AM
Opal

Thank you both for your help.

Thank you both for your help.
Old July 09, 2019, 12:50 PM
Opal

Could someone also check if these sentence are translated properly?

1. Every night Rosa prays for the wellbeing of her family before she goes to bed.=Todas las noches Rosa reza por el bienestar de su familia antes de acostarse.

2. After playing with his friends in the park Juan returned to his mother covered in mud.=Después de jugar con sus amigos en el parque, Juan volvió a su madre cubierto de barro.

3. I received a postcard from Jorge last week. He says he's really enjoying himself in Germany.=Recibí una tarjeta postal de Jorge la semana pasada. Dice que se divierte mucho en Alemania.

4. My friend is looking for someone that can look after her dog while she goes to France on a business trip. If you're instrested in the job, I can give you her phone number.= Mi amiga busca a alguien que pueda atender a su perro mientras va a Francia en viaje de negocios. Si te interesa el trabajo, puedo darte su número de teléfono.
Old July 09, 2019, 08:34 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
No. 3: I'd prefer "regresó con su madre", because for me, "regresar a" always it's a place.

No. 4: "Atender" for a dog is strange; the verb is better for people, as it implies an idea of serving another person. I suggest "cuidar" instead.
Old July 10, 2019, 02:11 PM
Opal

Once again, thank you for your help.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: