Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

An appetizer on the Danish language

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old January 27, 2009, 10:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Hi, Danes what miracle see you, I had a long times without see you, but well What do Rødgrød med fløde mean?

I don't know anything about of the language Danish, but if you would let me know what does it mean? that text.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:52 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
After my Danish friends got done laughing at me, they DID allow me to eat the Rødgrød med fløde, and it was delicious! By the way - I LOVE your country - it is beautiful!!
Old January 28, 2009, 05:42 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Hi, Danes what miracle see you, I had a long times without see you, but well What do Rødgrød med fløde mean?

I don't know anything about of the language Danish, but if you would let me know what does it mean? that text.
Luis, ElDanés gave the meaning of the phrase in his post. Did you not see it, or did you want him to translate it into Spanish?
Old January 28, 2009, 05:47 AM
Pearl

ElDanés is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo

It's nice to see you as well! And like Rusty already stated, I gave a translation in the message just before your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba
After my Danish friends got done laughing at me, they DID allow me to eat the Rødgrød med fløde, and it was delicious! By the way - I LOVE your country - it is beautiful!!
Oh, that's nice to hear. A bit embarrasing that you have tasted one of the very traditional Danish dishes, when I haven't even tried it myself.
When were you in Denmark anywhere - and where in the country?
Old January 28, 2009, 06:55 AM
Diamond

Well, WAY back in 1984 I was in a music group doing a tour of the country. All I remember is Skagen (which I loved!) and driving the countryside of the Jutland peninsula. We then took a ferry to Sweden.

Then, with my fond memories of that trip years back, I went again in 2005. I rented a car in Copenhagen, spent a week driving from Zealand across Fyn to the Jutland again, and drove all the way up to Skagen again (and loved it again!) Then I drove back to Zealand to visit my friends (who live outside of Ringsted). They have family on Bøgø and Møn (I CAN say both of the names of those islands accurately) and we drove around a lot and did some exploring (chalk cliffs....) It was a blast!
Old January 28, 2009, 07:26 AM
Pearl

Oh, yeah, that's some time ago. Skagen is a funny place. You can actually physically see the very, very top of Denmark. You also find the biggest desert in Scandinavia near Skagen, and you can also see the sanded church.

Your other trip sounds nice as well. You must have seen a lot of Denmark while driving - well, you have probably seen it all - the country is so small! Did you notice any difference in the people around the country? Jyderne (the ones from Jutland) are in general considered more quiet, and more relaxed than Sjællænderne (the ones from Zealand). Fynboerne (the ones from Funen), well, I guess we are just a mix, although I think we are more on the same side as Jyderne. We both call Zealand, Djævleøen (the devil island), because they are weird and speak funny, but okay, on the other hand, Jutland is also called Det mørke Jylland (the dark Jutland), by Sjællænderne, because nobody knows what's actually going on there.
If you knew the Danish language you would also notice major differences in the pronunciation. The language and dialects are all mutual intelligible, more or less, but the difference in pronunciation is nevertheless very big.

Oh, and I think you mean Bogø, by the way. There's no such thing as Bøgø around here. You should consider going to either Samsø, Ærø or Bornholm as well.
Old January 28, 2009, 07:39 AM
Diamond

Hej. I absolutely intend to go back to Denmark someday. I really love it there. I don't know that I noticed a difference between people in Zealand vs. Jutland. I DID notice differences between people in urban areas (like Odense and Copenhagen) and the people I met in the countryside. But that is normal in any country - the differences between the cosmopolitan people and the rural people. Warm regards!
Old January 28, 2009, 08:00 AM
Pearl

Have you thought about learning the language as well? It's not that different from English, so it won't take years to master. How did you get this interest in Denmark anyway?

Har du også tænkt på at lære sproget? Det er ikke så forskellige fra Engelsk, så det vil ikke tage at år for at mestre. Hvordan fik du overhovedet denne interesse i Danmark?
Old January 28, 2009, 08:11 AM
Diamond

When I was there in 1984, I thought it was SO beautiful there. Since then I have often wanted to return there (thus the 2005 trip). I am a hobbyist photographer and wanted to drive the coastline of Denmark - which is one of the things that I had the opportunity to do in 2005. Here are some of my favorite photos from that trip: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=635566 (I accidentally deleted the photos from the chalk cliffs).

As far as learning to speak Danish........ I am not very good at my native language (English). My brain doesn't "do" language very well. (I'm a mathematician by training and by nature.) I attempted to learn Spanish 20 years ago (unsuccessfully), but because some new colleagues-turned-close-friends are from Latin America, I have decided to try again to learn to speak Spanish. I don't know that I could handle a third language!
Old January 28, 2009, 08:28 AM
Pearl

I was more thinking: why were you going to Denmark in '84 in the first place? Something must have attracted your attention, since you came here.

Ah, alright. We are all different. I think I more a language person, than a mathematical one.

Tags
danés, danish

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: