Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Una Pregunta

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 06, 2010, 06:57 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Yes, but it does not follow that this is how adults learn a second language. In fact the process is entirely different.
Because adults want to self impose classification. I know it is a function of the brain and that it is important, but not that important when it comes to learning.

Mr Classificator you...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 06, 2010, 06:59 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Because adults want to self impose classification. I know it is a function of the brain and that it is important, but not that important when it comes to learning.

Mr Classificator you...
It certainly is for me !!!
Old January 06, 2010, 07:00 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
It certainly is for me !!!
Old January 06, 2010, 07:43 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
seosamh is on a distinguished road
Cheers, I get where you are coming from, better to struggle on with recognizing the the sounds, rather than confusing myself. I know when I watch a Spanish film with English subtitles I tend to ignore the spoken Spanish(why i've stopped doing that), I'd guess a similar thing may be happening. I suppose reading and writing are easier to pick up probably and it'll just take a wee while longer to start to feel more confident in listening, the main things is probably just to stick in, immerse yourself and continue on.
Old January 06, 2010, 07:56 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
If you're really motivated, attack it a various angles which include studying how adverbs work and irregular verbs as well a immersion, newspaper reading, forums, dictionaries etc. If you don't get too frustrated, it will come together for you like magic after awhile.
Old January 06, 2010, 08:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In your language, if you want to read, do you go to the cinema or the library?
Internet

Cuando veía pelis en la tele en inglés solía poner los subtítulos porque una sola palabra perdida puede hacer que no entiendas lo que pasa durante la hora de sigue.

(Además muchas veces las veía bastante tarde y para no despertarme a mis compañeros de piso lo ponía en mudo. Es un buen ejercicio cuando los subtítulos difieren de lo dicho leerlos e intentar leer los labios y descifrar las palabras dichas).
Old January 06, 2010, 08:37 AM
Opal

seosamh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
If you're really motivated, attack it a various angles which include studying how adverbs work and irregular verbs as well a immersion, newspaper reading, forums, dictionaries etc. If you don't get too frustrated, it will come together for you like magic after awhile.
I'm doing all those things, and I just finished a year of classes and my first book, aula internacional 1, starting to get somewhere i feel, i was just curious as too how long it took other people to get there..

As for the next few months, I think I'm going to try and learn myself for a while, to be honest I felt the classes held me back a little as I was going at other peoples pace really, and sticking around that level, so now my plan is, rather than spend money on classes, I've bought the 2nd book, I'm working my way through it, and I'm watching/reading/listening to as much as I can, I definately really need to start speaking more though, I know there's lots of Spanish living here in Glasgow so I'm going to try and get a language exchange going. And also try and visit Spain once or twice this year if I can.

I'll get there, eventually!
Old January 06, 2010, 08:45 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Like Poli said, one tends to read and not pay attention to what's being said.

To me that's half true.

Consider:

In your language, if you want to read, do you go to the cinema or the library?

Why should you do something else when learning another language?

But what's more important, is the fact that our minds connect sounds with actions. At first is just a sound, but as the action repeats through the same or different scenes, repeatedly, the sound starts to make sense and you start to recognize it. It is simple, that's how babies start to acquire their native language instead of studying grammar first.

It doesn't have anything to do with being too analytical or anything of that sort. It's just the way everyone functions.

(Lou Ann?)
I will be overly analytical until the day I die. Seriously - I like watching the movies with both Spanish subtitles and Spanish voice overs, especially when they're different ... because I actually DO pay attention to both, and am mentally comparing the two "versions" as it goes. And it doesn't leave me time to sit around pondering things. I just "notice" the difference, and am then on to the next thing.

I know you think that "learning styles" are not such a valid way of looking at the learning process, Chileno ... but I have to say that, as a professional educator, I really DO believe that there are certain matters of personal preference that significantly affect the learning potential. As adults, we often self-select our best learning style without being aware of doing so. I know that I do so!!
Old January 06, 2010, 10:07 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seosamh View Post
Empecé aprender hace un año, pero todavía es muy difícil entender cuando veo a películas o escuchar a la radio de la web o si escucho a Euronews en Español, puedo oír algunas palabras pero muchos veces es muy difícil. Puedo leer mucho más sin dificultad, intento leer revistas todos los días, y puedo escribir en foros de español con menos dificultad (muy mal como puedes ver). También, no puedo hablar muy bien, pero pienso que si hago intercambios esta año debe ayudarme.

Por tanto tengo una pregunta, sé todavía tengo muchas cosas a aprender pero quiero saber:

¿Cuantos años hasta podrías escuchar a español muy bien y entenderlo? ¿todavía tienes problemas, cuantos años después?
Yes I can understand you, as you know about me, my situation is something similar to your case, because I have around to three years learning and studying the English and well just I have achieved the level that you can see in my post or last post made for me during all that time, now somebody told me time before that if you want to learn some language, you should endeavor a lot each day with the intent to read books and also magazine and well, if you can intent to chat by voice with someone it's better that only write in English, now perhaps you should to put attention more in the movies, already you need to improve more the language, because sometimes el Spanish is a little hard to understand for the different words existed in the speech, I have the same trouble, sometimes I have forgot the words, really I don't know if in this post I did a lot mistakes or not, well the case it's practice.

I can recommending you that you if you can practice the language spoken with someone it's better, so I believe that in maximum to one year you will be able to speak with someone in Spanish.
Old January 06, 2010, 11:30 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Internet
I wish I had had internet in my days... I would've picked up English faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Cuando veía pelis en la tele en inglés solía poner los subtítulos porque una sola palabra perdida puede hacer que no entiendas lo que pasa durante la hora de sigue.

(Además muchas veces las veía bastante tarde y para no despertarme a mis compañeros de piso lo ponía en mudo. Es un buen ejercicio cuando los subtítulos difieren de lo dicho leerlos e intentar leer los labios y descifrar las palabras dichas).
Pero eso es suplicio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I know you think that "learning styles" are not such a valid way of looking at the learning process, Chileno ... but I have to say that, as a professional educator, I really DO believe that there are certain matters of personal preference that significantly affect the learning potential. As adults, we often self-select our best learning style without being aware of doing so. I know that I do so!!

That doesn't mean anything really... You see, I "self-selected" to smoke for a lot of years and now I do not feel too good.

I am talking about something that is natural, instinctive. We might think whatever, and that doesn't make it natural or instinctive, even if you think it is.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: