Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Need Help Learning to Speak Fluently

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperar View Post
Sí, pero si yo uso mi Inglés gramática, it comes out like that. When I say I try not to think in English, I try to remember that phrases are formed differently, like "puedo" is "can I," which is two words.
Exactly, and you start to build from there.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Already I added my personal list.

I hope exchange a lot of knowledge in the both languages.
When are you online?
Old May 30, 2010, 12:55 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I don't understand your method, Chileno. Do you mean that to start it's better to translate word by word? That can be dangerous, and you see what happens to Crotalito (hola cousin ), that he's always translating word by word and he doesn't improve because he hasn't studied English structures. If you start learning a language translating word by word, you'll get vocabulary, surely, but you won't ever be fluent in this language. And a bad learning can be for life, I mean, if you learn something wrong and nobody corrects you, you can have with that mistake for ever.

I agree with Villa completely. Repetition is the best way for learning a language (and grammar, of course).
Old May 30, 2010, 01:25 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I don't understand your method, Chileno. Do you mean that to start it's better to translate word by word? That can be dangerous, and you see what happens to Crotalito (hola cousin ), that he's always translating word by word and he doesn't improve because he hasn't studied English structures. If you start learning a language translating word by word, you'll get vocabulary, surely, but you won't ever be fluent in this language. And a bad learning can be for life, I mean, if you learn something wrong and nobody corrects you, you can have with that mistake for ever.

I agree with Villa completely. Repetition is the best way for learning a language (and grammar, of course).
I don't agree with you Irmamar.
I can learn the language without follow a study plan.
I had have conversation with people from another countries and my language and their language are completely the same.

I'm not learning the language for teach in any school, I'm learning the language for my tasty to the English and not for another thing.
I have could to learn the language in a way that I could do it, literally I have learn the language in my way reading the post of other peoples here in the forums and reading a lot of text written in English.

Perhaps I know that I wrote bad sometimes and that anyone correct me as I hope it, but anyway you can see that my English isn't bad, you know, you maybe are teacher and my word are bad used for you in English, it's the same if you go to the United States without knowledge of the language, you surely will learn the language as there is spoken the English, mostly the Mexican and the American speak the language bad as I do it, if you're habited to a way to speak your Spanish without all your structures then I can be sure that you speak your Spanish if that you use methods that you teach in the school or that they was taught you in the school.

Therefore, I know that is necessary goes to a school when you need to have a correct methodology in the language when you are studying for teach the language, for my language so as I have could to learn until day, it works for me, because casually the people understand me that it's the most important.

And always I'm improving, please you remember this, always I'm improving although I improve bad the words but I do it.

You know how much time I delay to write this post, only I delay five minutes thinking that I most write you and I don't revised any dictionary for this.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:46 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
@laepelba Well, there is Skype and a lot of programs to speak.

@Crotalito, first of all, you need to start studying basic grammar, because you confuse elemental things that are quite important. Then you can start with oral training, because your vocabulary is good you can skip it's study for now. But just hanging around here, believing you are writing an aceptable English, without studying(in any form you like)... would not make you improve. I think it's time for you to know that a big quantity of your post are incomprehensibles. This is my opinion, I hope I didn't hurt any sensible fiber but it's time for someone to say it.

Last edited by ookami; May 30, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:04 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post

@Crotalito, first of all, you need to start studying basic grammar, because you confuse elemental things that are quite important. Then you can start with oral training, because your vocabulary is good so you can skip it's study for now. I think it's time for you to know that a big quantity of your post are incomprehensibles. This is my opinion, I hope I didn't hurt any sensible fiber but it's time for someone to say it.
I continue without understand them.

My post are understanding.
Why do you tell me that?
What part of the post you didn't understand I'm not a professional.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:24 PM
Sapphire

I have given my opinion on where you should start your English study in order to improve, orally or not. About the other thing, you can read it as a spoiler:

Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto

Last edited by ookami; May 30, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post

@Crotalito, first of all, you need to start studying basic grammar, because you confuse elemental things that are quite important. Then you can start with oral training, because your vocabulary is good you can skip it's study for now. But just hanging around here, believing you are writing an aceptable English, without studying(in any form you like)... would not make you improve. I think it's time for you to know that a big quantity of your post are incomprehensibles. This is my opinion, I hope I didn't hurt any sensible fiber but it's time for someone to say it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I continue without understand them.

My post are understanding.
Why do you tell me that?
What part of the post you didn't understand I'm not a professional.
@Ookami - you're right, but none of my Spanish-speaking friends are on Skype, nor do they have time to spend chatting online.... I've tried finding Spanish-speakers who are willing to sit down and have conversation with me, but the expectation is that I'd have to pay them as a tutor. I'm not quite ready to go there yet.....

@Crotalito - I have to say that I agree with Ookami on this point. Your vocabulary is good, but your grammar needs a lot of work. I know this isn't the first time you've been told this. Your posts are not always understandable. It has nothing to do with being a professional or not. If you are here to learn to speak English, or to improve your English, it sometimes seems like you don't follow the advice given to you.

Maybe you could try to spend less time writing *many* posts, and just write one or two short posts and ask people to correct them. Then work on making revisions to the things that have been corrected. It might help you more in the long term...
Old May 30, 2010, 07:51 PM
Sapphire

@laepelba I don't have any problem on using skype if you want, but I've to say that my way of speaking isn't too clear, but we can try I'm sending to you my nickname.
Old May 31, 2010, 01:01 AM
Diamond

Don't worry man.

I got it.

Greetings.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: