Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Un anuncio

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old June 22, 2011, 08:44 AM
Opal

Native Language: Dutch
Laurien is on a distinguished road
Un anuncio

There is an assignment where we have to maken an add. In this add we first have to use el pasado and then el presente.
I think the usage of the times are correct but i'm not sure about the whole contect.

Would someone please read it over and maybe give remarks?

"Antes has hecho escribir.
Entonces has podido imprimir.
De has enviado un e-mail.
Y de repente has podido un fax.

Pero ahora tienes una memoria usb donde puedes tienda todos sus archivos y puedes tomar de PC a PC.
Todo está a salvo cuando su PC se bloquea.
Compra una memoria usb!"

(I'm saying/trying to say that first you had to write everything down, then you could print it, then email it and then all of a sudden you could fax it. But now with a memory stick (in belgium it's called USB stick) you can save your documents on it and take it with you from computer to computer. Everything is safely on the stick when your computer crashes.)

Thank you in advance!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:57 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurien View Post
There is an assignment where we have to maken an add. In this add we first have to use el pasado and then el presente.
I think the usage of the times are correct but i'm not sure about the whole contect.

Pero ahora tienes una memoria usb donde puedes tienda todos sus archivos y puedes tomar de PC a PC.
Compra una memoria usb!"

(I'm saying/trying to say that first you had to write everything down, then you could print it, then email it and then all of a sudden you could fax it. But now with a memory stick (in belgium it's called USB stick) you can save your documents on it and take it with you from computer to computer. Everything is safely in the stick when your computer crashes.)

Thank you in advance!

Digo/trato de decir que primero tenías que escribir todo, entonces podrías imprimirlo, entonces mandarlo por email y entonces de repente podías mandarlo por fax. Pero ahora con un "pendrive" o "memoria USB" puedes guardar tus documentos en él y llevarlo contigo, de computador en computador. Todo está seguro dentro del pendrive cuando tu computador se cae (falla).

Last edited by chileno; June 22, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
Opal

So it is not correct to use pretérito perfecto in this context?
Old June 22, 2011, 09:02 AM
Diamond

chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So it is not correct to use pretérito perfecto in this context?
You just said you were going to state/think in English first. Let's see what you can do. It all depends on context.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:31 AM
Opal

Yes I did say that but I was actually referring to the gerundio when I said that

Anyway the assignment was this "write an add that's in this form: "You used to have this but now you have this (and it is way better, easier,...)! Problem solved when you buy it". The chapter in which it is, gives the theorie of the pretérito perfecto.

& I know when I wrote it in english, I used had/ could, this is the past. Yet in the book they only talk about these tenses:
*presente de indicativo (chapter 1)
*estar + gerundio (chapter 4)
*pretérito perfecto (chapter 5)

Don't think I don't try to understand this because I've looked it all up. You used the pretérito imperfecto and I suppose 'teniá' = 'I had' so in that form your correction of my add is correct. Yet then I don't get why the teacher and the book want the stupid add to be in the pretérito perfecto.

I'm sorry if it comes of confusing but I'm doing my best to see the whole point and difference in the usage of the tenses and why this can't be in teh stupid tense that's asked
Old June 22, 2011, 09:47 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I'd say you are justified in your frustration. What you're trying to say in English isn't in the past perfect, so it can't very well be translated into Spanish that way. The ad can be written using el pretérito imperfecto, without any problem. Describing what you were using in the past will always be written using the past imperfect tense.

The pretérito perfecto simple
and the
pretérito perfecto compuesto
are two different tenses. I suppose your book is talking about the latter, because you were using the compound form (we call this the past perfect in English). But, if the book is asking you to write an ad in the past tense, and didn't specifically assign a certain tense to use, it should be written using the past imperfect tense.
Old June 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
Opal

In that case I will use el pretérito imperfecto!
Thank you!
Old June 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Diamond

aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Compra una memoria usb!"

(I'm saying/trying to say that first you had to write everything down, then you could print it, then email it and then all of a sudden you could fax it. But now with a memory stick (in belgium it's called USB stick) you can save your documents on it and take it with you from computer to computer. Everything is safely on the stick when your computer crashes.)

Thank you in advance!

I guess Dutch is like German, and the "perfect" tense takes the place of almost every use of simple past, (Ich finde, ich habe gefunden). You're translating it into Spanish pretérito perfecto, and that is not the way we use it, either in Spain or in America. In fact Spanish imperfect is more suitable for what you are trying to say.

Maybe you can think of a simpler approach for your original idea.
Old June 24, 2011, 12:14 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Compra una memoria usb!"

Thank you in advance!

Use the 'Pretérito Imperfecto' in the first part of the ad.

Also, pay attention to verb conjugations, words and expressions. You have several mistakes to fix there, not just the tenses..

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: