Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Thank you man!

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old June 04, 2013, 11:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPecas View Post
To refer to men/women together, "guys" is of course common. "Have a good night, guys."
In the USA, yes, but not in the UK, at least not yet!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 04, 2013, 12:28 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I'm glad that I asked. It's an interesting discussion. Thank you all!
Old June 04, 2013, 01:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Man as an interjection is not uncommon, and as with hombre in Spanish and home in Valencian (and possibly other dialects of Catalan for all I know) doesn't inflect for the gender of the hearer. I can well believe that there are some sociolects of English whose speakers could analyse the given phrases as using it as interjection rather than vocative. Having said that, it would still strike me as surprising if I heard it.

@Perikles, I use guys for mixed or indeterminate gender. This may be a generational difference.
Old June 05, 2013, 12:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
..not in the UK, at least not yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
@Perikles, I use guys for mixed or indeterminate gender. This may be a generational difference.
At least I predicted it, but didn't know it was already here. I can't bring myself to join in.
Old June 06, 2013, 05:11 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Shazam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Don't take it personal, Malila, because the expression is as impersonal as they come. "Thanks, man" is used without any regard to the gender of the listener.

I would seldom use the phrase when addressing a female. Instead, I would just omit the filler on the end. "Thanks, ma'am" sounds a bit too formal in my neck of the woods, but it is very much heard in the South (Southern United States).
Ummm. This is not true... We never refer to women as men or say "Thanks, Man" to females. We say that only to men. Same thing as "Thanks, bro" "Thanks, dude" Thanks, homie" ect..

If a male is saying this to a female then he's either just being funny making a joke, or maybe the female in question is very good friends with the guy using the phrase and considers her to be one of the "bro's" or "dudes" or "guys" Only then is that phrase acceptable to be used with women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPecas View Post
"Thanks, man" or any phrase tacked on with "man" generally is not used with regards to women. If you hear it used that way, then you are right to think it's strange or uncommon.

As people here have mentioned, "man" can be used as an exclamation e.g. "Man, what a view we have from the top of this mountain!" or "Man, that's a lot of money", but the word doesn't really carry any gender with it in that context.

To refer to men/women together, "guys" is of course common. "Have a good night, guys."
All this is very true. Also, to refer to a group of different gender people, It's very common to hear "guys and girls" or "ladies and gents"
Old June 06, 2013, 05:24 PM
Obsidiana

Thank you, Shazam. It seems I wasn't so wrong to have found it rather strange.

And thank you everyone. After all your replies, I asked some of the people who have used that "man" with me why they do that, and they don't seem to know why. The result though is that now that I pointed it out, they have stopped doing it.
Old June 07, 2013, 03:16 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
Shazam is on a distinguished road
No Hay de que, señor.

It's kind of like in spanish (specifically spanish spoken by Mexicans) you wouldn't here a man call a woman "Guey" o "Wey"

Example(s): "Hola, wey" "Si, wey" "Que pedo, wey" "What's up, wey" You wouldn't use that word (wey o guey) with a female.
Old June 07, 2013, 05:29 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Ummm. This is not true... We never refer to women as men or say "Thanks, Man" to females. We say that only to men.
You didn't read my post very well. I said that we use the interjection 'man' without even thinking about the gender of the person we're addressing. This is a true statement. I also said that I seldom use "Thanks, man" when I'm speaking to a woman. The only time that would happen is when the phrase is used without any regard to the gender of the person. This IS done, but in my case it would be done without thinking or without regard to gender.

I think the main reason Malila was taken aback was because members here in the forum didn't bother to check her gender before saying what they did. Had they known she was a woman, they probably wouldn't have used 'man'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
No hay de qué, señora.
Old June 07, 2013, 07:51 AM
Obsidiana

@Rusty: Although it has happened a couple of times here in the forums, I always assume nobody has to know my gender, so I usually don't mind. Of course I started to wonder when I told someone I was a woman and they kept using "man". However, also people I know from other places --people I've known for many years and people who definitely know I am a woman-- started to use those expressions, so I thought there must be something else about it. Now I can more or less infer what is inside those heads.

@Shazam: The use of the word "buey/güey/wey" has changed a lot since the last ten years or so. From being an insult, now it's used as "bro", "dude" and the like.
And from being used exclusively among men, now it's overwhelmingly common to hear men and women calling each other "wey". It has entirely lost its meaning.
Last time I told a bunch of young people what they were saying, I was left in total estrangement.
Old June 24, 2013, 06:43 AM
Opal

Native Language: Spanish
mekdroid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Oh, boy, oh boy... I think this is a difficult one to discern for us foreigners... don't worry, man, ejem..., madam...
He,he!

That is why we have the endings that indicate sex in Spanish! The problem is that we apply them to everything, including a good many things that would best be left neutral. Some non-native speakers I know basically use the endings at random, on the assumption that they will be right about half of the time :-)

Tags
guys, man

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: