Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Cielito?

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old March 13, 2021, 06:57 PM
Opal

SeekingSunshine is on a distinguished road
Question Cielito?

What would be the correct way to say "little piece of heaven" or "little slice of heaven"? Would it be "cielito"? Thank you!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 13, 2021, 08:03 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
'Cielito' is a term of endearment in Spanish, comparable to 'darling/sweetheart.' There are other similar terms of endearment, but this isn't what you're asking for.

'Little piece' and 'little slice' can both be said 'pedacito' (since they can mean the same thing in English). There are other terms, as well, for each English phrase.

But to say someone is a 'little piece of heaven,' which is an English saying that is equivalent to 'a ray of sunshine,' "the apple of one's eye," "one's answered prayer (the answer to one's prayer)," or just about anyone who is always happy/a delight, and makes everyone else happy, you need a Spanish equivalent.

I would think 'un rayito de sol', 'el niño/la niña de mis ojos' are good equivalents. 'Mi pedacito de cielo' is a well understood, word-for-word translation, but it doesn't seem to be as popular as the other two I gave.
'Mi pedido ha sido cumplido' would be the last equivalent saying I would suggest, since it isn't too popular.

If none of these appeal to you, there are other equivalents.
Old March 14, 2021, 12:05 AM
Opal

SeekingSunshine is on a distinguished road
Rusty, thank you so much for your response. Very helpful to me as it is so hard to understand nuance, especially as someone just learning a new language. I guess what I had in mind was more "my house is my little piece of heaven" or something similar. Or, to name your house "Little Piece of Heaven" on a plaque. I'm thinking in this regard "cielito" would be incorrect?
Old March 14, 2021, 06:53 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Yes, 'cielito' is used as a term of endearment, usually said to someone you love.

You can use 'Mi casa es un pedacito de cielo', which makes it very clear that you mean your house. If you want to shorten it to just 'Mi pedacito de cielo' or 'Pedacito de cielo' (note that only the first word is capitalized in Spanish title case) for a plaque, you could include a picture of a house. You would share the first shortened form with an AirBnB in Mexico or a cafe in Torreón (the blue thing on the cup is supposed to be a cloud). In Durango, you'll find another cafe (their "plaque" is nicer, and the cloud is more obvious). Check out this lodge in Costa Rica for another example of a place that shares the name of the shortest form of the phrase I gave above.

Have fun being creative.

Tags
ciel, cielito, heaven

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: