Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Should the verb "hacer" in this sentence be reflexive?

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old February 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Opal

gmc163 is on a distinguished road
Should the verb "hacer" in this sentence be reflexive?

I'm writing a birthday card to a little girl who lives in Ecuador. The card I picked has an English sentence printed that I need to translate for her: "May all your birthday wishes come true."

Should it be: "Ojalá que todos los deseos de sus cumpleanos hagan realidad."
or
"Ojalá que todos los deseos de sus cumpleanos se hagan realidad."?

I know a verb should be reflexive when the subject and verb are the same, but I'm not sure in this case what the subject and verb are - especially because I want to use "ojalá", which is kind of a weird word in itself, grammar-wise.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:12 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
You can use 'Ojalá', but it isn't necessary. You may start the sentence with 'Que' and get the same meaning.

I suppose you know that cumpleaños contains the letter 'ñ'. The word is plural in form, but singular, so the determiner 'sus' is incorrect. If you're writing to a little girl, it would be more appropriate to use the second-person determiner 'tu'. That said, what you really meant to say was 'todos tus deseos de cumpleaños'.

The phrase 'deseos cumpleañeros' could also be used as an alternate to 'deseos de cumpleaños'.

Que todos tus deseos de cumpleaños se hagan realidad.
Que todos tus deseos de cumpleaños se cumplan.
Que se cumplan todos tus deseos de cumpleaños.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!
Old February 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Opal

gmc163 is on a distinguished road
Awesome, that was exactly what I was looking for. And I can't believe I didn't catch that sus/tus thing - of course it should be in the informal form. lol Thanks for your help!

Tags
hacer, reflexive, verb

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: