Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat


British expats in Spain forced to return home

 

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 16, 2009, 03:46 PM
Tomisimo's Avatar
Tomisimo Tomisimo is offline
Davidísimo
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 5,565
Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
British expats in Spain forced to return home

It seems that economic woes are forcing some of the estimated 1 million Britons living in Spain to return home.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/05/...3801242508216/
__________________
If you find something wrong with my Spanish, please correct it!
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #2  
Old May 17, 2009, 04:24 PM
bobjenkins's Avatar
bobjenkins bobjenkins is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: España próximamente??
Posts: 2,923
Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
I sincerely feel bad for all these people. My dreams are to live whereever I want, to be able to roam freely from place to place. I hope the bad state of the economy doesn't prohibit me and milllions of others to live thier dreams.

Gracias por la noticia Tomísimo, espero que nuestras vidas mejoren en este año
__________________
"There´s always money in the banana stand michael!"
--george bluthe sir
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 18, 2009, 09:14 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't say "forced", just "invited" by their own government. Here in Spain everybody knows the treatment Spain receives from British papers.

Another point of view about the same news:

http://www.abc.es/20090206/valencia-...-20090206.html

Anyway, I'd like to point out that both British and German colonies which are in Spain aren't interested in our culture or our language, they just close into their world, avoiding any contact with Spanish people. I've been able to see a few of these "colonies" where Spanish is not the most spoken language, but British or German.

Another thing that I'd like to point out is that British tourists have a bad, a very bad, behavoiur when they are in our country. I've not been able to find a more current news, since we're still at the beginning of the touristic year in our country, but I'll give you a link from the last year.

http://www.elperiodico.com/default.a...seccio_PK=1021



When I go abroad, I feel a great pity if I see a compatriot having a wrong behaviour. I try to behave properly; I don't like misbehaviours either in my country nor in the others.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 18, 2009, 09:20 AM
Tomisimo's Avatar
Tomisimo Tomisimo is offline
Davidísimo
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 5,565
Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Good points irmamar. When I'm abroad, I try really hard not to be the typical, obnoxious tourist.
__________________
If you find something wrong with my Spanish, please correct it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 18, 2009, 09:35 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Good points irmamar. When I'm abroad, I try really hard not to be the typical, obnoxious tourist.
I think it's important to know something about customs of a country when you go abroad. It's difficult also learning a language in a few days,but everybody is able to know a few words or sentences, such as thank you, good morning, etc. It's easier to get in contact with the people who lives in a foreign country if you're able to speak a couple of sentences than if you close in your own language. Surely, people of that country smiles at you if you say "good morning" in their language that if you don't say anything at all, or if you do in a language they don't understand. And a smile is the first contact one can get with another

And now I've learnt another word: obnoxious, thanks . Is it a common word?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 18, 2009, 09:38 AM
bobjenkins's Avatar
bobjenkins bobjenkins is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: España próximamente??
Posts: 2,923
Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I think it's important to know something about customs of a country when you go abroad. It's difficult also learning a language in a few days,but everybody is able to know a few words or sentences, such as thank you, good morning, etc. It's easier to get in contact with the people who lives in a foreign country if you're able to speak a couple of sentences than if you close in your own language. Surely, people of that country smiles at you if you say "good morning" in their language that if you don't say anything at all, or if you do in a language they don't understand. And a smile is the first contact one can get with another

And now I've learnt another word: obnoxious, thanks . Is it a common word?
Si, esta palabra es común jeejej, es dice, "obnoxious teenagers" aquí

Gracias por la pagina (noticias) Irmamar, Estoy feliz por que puede leerlo sin problemas. subestimé cómo mucho que sé del idioma española Hoy es un buen día ahora por mí
__________________
"There´s always money in the banana stand michael!"
--george bluthe sir

Last edited by bobjenkins; May 18, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 18, 2009, 09:58 AM
Tomisimo's Avatar
Tomisimo Tomisimo is offline
Davidísimo
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 5,565
Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
And now I've learnt another word: obnoxious, thanks . Is it a common word?
Yes, it's a pretty common word.
__________________
If you find something wrong with my Spanish, please correct it!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 18, 2009, 10:03 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,439
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
El vuelto de los ingleses es malo por España porque los viejitos desabiltados ingleses que viven en españa emplean españoles. Cuando vuelven a su pais sus trabajadores van a añadirse a la taza de desempleo en Enpaña que ahora es muy alto.

Es verdad que los jovenes afanáticos de fútbol de Inglaterrra tienen la mala reputación de ser muy pero muy chabacanos, pero ellos no son los únicos ingleses.

Aquí en EE.UU. estamos acostumbrados a comunidades que no hablan inglés, y hay gente con un agenda político que siebran cinzaña contra esas comunidades.Unos políticos empezarion a hablar mal de los ilegales y por eso, este invierno un jornalero equatoriano fue brutalmente matado por unos jovenes que querían mantener puresa de la raza. Hay partes de Nueva York y gran partes de Miami (allí hasta en el aeropuerto) en que la gente habla en español a caulquiera person. Cuando ellos contestan en inglés, siguen en español. Accepto que recien llegados deben sentir obligados aprender algo del nuevo pais, pero debe de existir exceptiones, y muchos de la tercera edad debe caber en la categoria de
excepción. Por la mayoria de ellos es más difícil aprender.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.

Last edited by poli; May 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 19, 2009, 01:04 PM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
El vuelto de los ingleses es malo por España porque los viejitos desabiltados ingleses que viven en españa emplean españoles. Cuando vuelven a su pais sus trabajadores van a añadirse a la taza de desempleo en Enpaña que ahora es muy alto.

Es verdad que los jovenes afanáticos de fútbol de Inglaterrra tienen la mala reputación de ser muy pero muy chabacanos, pero ellos no son los únicos ingleses.

Aquí en EE.UU. estamos acostumbrados a comunidades que no hablan inglés, y hay gente con un agenda político que siebran cinzaña contra esas comunidades.Unos políticos empezarion a hablar mal de los ilegales y por eso, este invierno un jornalero equatoriano fue brutalmente matado por unos jovenes que querían mantener puresa de la raza. Hay partes de Nueva York y gran partes de Miami (allí hasta en el aeropuerto) en que la gente habla en español a caulquiera person. Cuando ellos contestan en inglés, siguen en español. Accepto que recien llegados deben sentir obligados aprender algo del nuevo pais, pero debe de existir exceptiones, y muchos de la tercera edad debe caber en la categoria de
excepción. Por la mayoria de ellos es más difícil aprender.
I didn't mind they should do a "master", but I think that when you go abroad, you should learn at least a few words, enough to have a dialog with somebody. Elder people is not useless, they're able of learning things. In my university I know a mate who is 67 y.o. and he isn't the only one who is retired and still studying. Everybody, with enough health and desires, is able to do something, in a better or in a worse way, but he's able to.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 19, 2009, 02:03 PM
bobjenkins's Avatar
bobjenkins bobjenkins is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: España próximamente??
Posts: 2,923
Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
El vuelto de los ingleses es malo por España porque los viejitos desabiltados ingleses que viven en españa emplean españoles. Cuando vuelven a su pais sus trabajadores van a añadirse a la taza de desempleo en Enpaña que ahora es muy alto.

Es verdad que los jovenes afanáticos de fútbol de Inglaterrra tienen la mala reputación de ser muy pero muy chabacanos, pero ellos no son los únicos ingleses.

Aquí en EE.UU. estamos acostumbrados a comunidades que no hablan inglés, y hay gente con un agenda político que siebran cinzaña contra esas comunidades.Unos políticos empezarion a hablar mal de los ilegales y por eso, este invierno un jornalero equatoriano fue brutalmente matado por unos jovenes que querían mantener puresa de la raza. Hay partes de Nueva York y gran partes de Miami (allí hasta en el aeropuerto) en que la gente habla en español a caulquiera person. Cuando ellos contestan en inglés, siguen en español. Accepto que recien llegados deben sentir obligados aprender algo del nuevo pais, pero debe de existir exceptiones, y muchos de la tercera edad debe caber en la categoria de
excepción. Por la mayoria de ellos es más difícil aprender.
No puede leer todo, pero lo parece triste

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I didn't mind they should do a "master", but I think that when you go abroad, you should learn at least a few words, enough to have a dialog with somebody. Elder people are (people, unlike gente, is plural) not useless, they're able of learning things. In my university I know a mate who is 67 y.o. and he isn't the only one who is retired and still studying. Everybody, with enough health and desires, is able to do something, in a better or in a worse way, but he's able to.
---------
__________________
"There´s always money in the banana stand michael!"
--george bluthe sir
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark this thread at:

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sorolla: from Spain to USA, back in Spain and soon in USA again. irmamar General Chat 40 September 06, 2010 11:52 PM
The point of no return Tomisimo Translations 4 December 20, 2008 09:00 AM
home study course fullbite Teaching and Learning Techniques 13 March 07, 2007 05:23 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X