Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Improving my English

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old February 08, 2013, 03:46 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
Improving my English

Hello to all,
I am Giulio, a 40-year-old man from Rome, Italy. More than one year ago, I was starting to learn Spanish: I wrote on this forum for a couple of months and several users helped me to improve. Then I continued practicing it, on January 2012 I started to take individual lessons and now I have became quite fluent, for us italians is not excessively difficult to learn Spanish.

Now I came back to this forum with a different purpose: I want to perfectionate my English!! I want to do it also for reasons related to my working activity. Actually, I write in English quite often: I have some friends here and there in Europe and sometimes I also write on some english-speaking forums. So I don't lack english practice, there are two problems though:

- Most of these friends are not native english speakers and so probably they also make mistakes, or they use expressions and constructions that don't belong to current English;

- Almost nobody corrects me, and so I never know whether I make mistakes!! Some time ago a guy from London told me that I sometimes use the wrong prepositions.

So, I wish that on this forum users will help me to discover the weaknesses that I still have in my english knowledge, and to make further progresses.

Thank you in advance!!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 08, 2013, 03:56 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Hello to all,
- Almost nobody corrects me, and so I never know whether I make mistakes!! Some time ago a guy from London told me that I sometimes use the wrong prepositions.
Hi Giulio.

I have that same problem as well. I have several sites, which explain that very well, but i don't get it.
I'm quite sure people will help you here.

Last edited by Premium; February 08, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old February 08, 2013, 04:15 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Hello to all,
I am Giulio, a 40-year-old man from Rome, Italy. More than a year ago, I was starting to learn Spanish. I wrote on this forum for a couple of months and several users helped me to improve. Then I continued practicing it. In January 2012, I started to take private lessons and now I have become quite fluent. For us Italians it's not excessively difficult to learn Spanish.

Now I have come back to this forum with a different purpose - I want to perfect my English!! I want to do it also for reasons related to work. Actually, I write in English quite often. I have some friends here and there in Europe and sometimes I also write on some English-speaking forums. So, I don't lack English practice. There are two problems, though:

- Most of these friends are not native English speakers and so they probably they also make mistakes, or they use expressions and constructions that don't belong in current English;

So, I hope that in this forum users will help me to discover the weaknesses that I still have with my English knowledge, and help me to make further progresses.

Thank you in advance!!
Welcome back!

I corrected your mistakes and suggested alternate wording here and there. There are more natural ways to say some of the things you wrote, too, but I didn't provide them.
Old February 09, 2013, 01:25 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
Hello Rusty,
thanks for your kind reply. I remember that you also corrected me some Spanish when I was starting to learn it in summer 2011. The mistakes you found suggest that I still have some way to go in perfecting my english, we never know foreign languages well enough. Every time I will take note of the mistakes users will point out, so that I won't repeat them in the future.

The construction "help to" + infinitive is not correct? I have heard it sometimes.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium View Post
Hi Giulio.

I have that same problem as well. I have several sites, which explain that very well, but i don't get it.
I'm quite sure people will help you here.
Hello Premium, you also have problems with prepositions, you mean? Yes, they are difficult in every language, because there is never an one-to-one correspondence between languages, for example the preposition "to" in italian translates in many different ways depending on the context.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; February 09, 2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old February 09, 2013, 01:59 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Hello Premium, you also have problems with prepositions, you mean? Yes, they are difficult in every language, because there is never an one-to-one correspondence between languages, for example the preposition "to" in italian translates in many different ways depending on the context.
Yes, they still are. I don't have the same problem with Spanish, though. I think it's easier. I still make mistakes in German, contrary to my native tongue, which is not as complicated.
Old February 09, 2013, 02:41 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
... Isn't the construction "help to" + infinitive is not correct? I have heard it sometimes.
There's nothing grammatically wrong with the construction. (Note that I didn't strike through the word 'to' like I did with most of the other corrections in 'silver'.) The bare infinitive (the infinitive without the 'to') just sounded better in that sentence (to my ears, at least).

Happy learning!
Old February 09, 2013, 02:59 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
There's nothing grammatically wrong with the construction. (Note that I didn't strike through the word 'to' like I did with most of the other corrections in 'silver'.) The bare infinitive (the infinitive without the 'to') just sounded better in that sentence (to my ears, at least).

Happy learning!
Do you mind correcting mine, too, please?
I'm quite sure i did some mistakes.
Old February 09, 2013, 06:08 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Yes, they still are. I don't have the same problem with Spanish, though. I think it's easier. I still make mistakes in German, as opposed to my native tongue, which is not as complicated.
Quote:
Do you mind correcting mine, too, please?
I'm quite sure I made some mistakes.
There you go.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:31 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
There you go.
Would be "contrary to" or "unlike" wrong?

Thanks for correcting, Rusty
Old February 10, 2013, 04:02 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I still make mistakes in German, contrary to my native tongue, which is not as complicated.
A confusing statement, because you have given German as your first language.

Quote:
Would be "contrary to" or "unlike" wrong?
You could say "unlike in" (colloquial)though Rusty's correction is the best.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: