Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar


It's all basically the same thing

 

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 07, 2015, 12:48 AM
Xinfu's Avatar
Xinfu Xinfu is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 996
Xinfu is on a distinguished road
It's all basically the same thing

-After so long a discourse on the X theory and the Y theory, we know that it's all the same thing/they are all the same thing.

Are they both correct? If not, what are the rules we have to follow in using 'it' when talking about more than one thing?(Meanwhile I will try to hunt down more examples of this kind)
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #2  
Old July 07, 2015, 03:14 AM
Xinfu's Avatar
Xinfu Xinfu is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 996
Xinfu is on a distinguished road
p.119
-But none of this is why Bryan Garner is a genius.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 07, 2015, 11:19 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,266
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinfu View Post
-After so long a discourse on the X theory and the Y theory, we know that it's all the same thing/they are all the same thing.

Are they both correct? If not, what are the rules we have to follow in using 'it' when talking about more than one thing?(Meanwhile I will try to hunt down more examples of this kind)
The correct way to say this is: After so long a discourse on the x and y theory, we now know they are both the same.
They instead of it's all is preferred because you are comparing only two things.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 08, 2015, 06:37 AM
Xinfu's Avatar
Xinfu Xinfu is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 996
Xinfu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
The correct way to say this is: After so long a discourse on the x and y theory, we now know they are both the same.
They instead of it's all is preferred because you are comparing only two things.
Thank you. But do you mean when there are more than two things, we have to use it's all:

p.175
-[...]to try to shut your head off so you can hit the rack at 0130 and get up at 0600 and do it all again.

1. He is talking about a whole bunch of things; why it not them?

2. What does hit the rack mean? I know hit the road, hit the pool, etc. but not that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 08, 2015, 09:11 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,266
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinfu View Post
Thank you. But do you mean when there are more than two things, we have to use it's all:

p.175
-[...]to try to shut your head off so you can hit the rack at 0130 and get up at 0600 and do it all again.

1. He is talking about a whole bunch of things; why it not them?

2. What does hit the rack mean? I know hit the road, hit the pool, etc. but not that.
Do it all again refers to a routine. The series of things done becomes singular when it is thought of as a routine.
I think hit the rack means to go to bed.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 11, 2015, 11:57 AM
Xinfu's Avatar
Xinfu Xinfu is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 996
Xinfu is on a distinguished road
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 11, 2015, 10:50 PM
wrholt's Avatar
wrholt wrholt is offline
Sapphire
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 1,294
Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
...I think hit the rack means to go to bed.
There are many slang ways to say "go to bed/go to sleep".

The word "rack" has many slang meanings, including "bed"; this meaning is common in US military slang, especially the Navy and Marine Corps when referring to beds on board naval ships. Similarly, "rack time" refers to "sleeping" and/or to the period when individual crew members are off-duty and able to sleep, and "to rack out" is "to sleep" or "to go to sleep".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 12, 2015, 01:47 PM
Xinfu's Avatar
Xinfu Xinfu is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 996
Xinfu is on a distinguished road
Excellent answer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark this thread at:

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The same thing as Xinfu Grammar 2 May 23, 2015 05:27 AM
Just to make sure she said the right thing and what's this in Spanish? LexiconDoll Translations 1 September 08, 2010 03:45 PM
I said the wrong thing.... hola Grammar 13 December 13, 2009 10:35 PM
From a Mexican girl who can't speak english. basically this says......... hola Grammar 7 May 26, 2009 02:04 AM
The ditto thing Alfonso Vocabulary 8 May 08, 2008 01:58 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X