Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Voseo

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old August 23, 2010, 01:05 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
laepelba, and in the picture of Café Martinez, you have "Disfrutá" too (with tú is grave)
Really nice post Lou Ann, very helpful for the trainees(?) in the forum.

I don't think you have to be switching between vos and tú. Most people use one (their natural way) even if they are speaking with someone that is from a country that speaks using the other way round, because almost all Spanish speakers can understand both ways and you always have one that feels more natural for you (even if you can use both without thinking and with the same speed, etc) But switching is nice for training .

JPablo
tiene la posta, ¡es una pavada si practicás un cacho!

Last edited by ookami; August 23, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:38 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
@Ookami, bueno, la posta... la posta... la tenés vos... que sos oriundo, yo aunque he practicado, hacía mucho que no practicaba... así que si vos me ayudás, y corregís cualquier 'pavada' que yo diga... o escriba... pos eso que aprendemos todos.

(La verdad sea dicha, a mí me gusta esto del 'voseo'... si no, no diría "esta boca se mía")
Old August 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
I don't think you have to be switching between vos and tú. Most people use one (their natural way) even if they are speaking with someone that is from a country that speaks using the other way round, because almost all Spanish speakers can understand both ways and you always have one that feels more natural for you (even if you can use both without thinking and with the same speed, etc) But switching is nice for training .
No - I don't plan to switch between them. And for work, I really want to be in the habit of using "tú" only. It's just that I also want to be able to recognize the voseo forms when I see/hear them ... I want to interact with people from all over the Spanish-speaking world. [And, if I ever take classes in Argentina again, I'll need to be able to use vos myself...]
Old August 24, 2010, 12:10 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Sí, pero. No es lo mismo hablar como has aprendido siendo hablante nativo o no nativo. Cambiar frecuentemente es re difícil (mucho más que poner una palabra regional ) pero cómo guiri prefiero adaptar mi español según el dialecto donde estoy para mostrar que hago un esfuerzo.

(Una vez intenté vosear durante unas horas - y lo conseguí con la mitad de las frases - porque me pidieron tomar una clase de preparación para un grupo de chicos ingleses antes de que fueran a Argentina. Pero he descubierto que no puedo cambiar entre sesear y cecear al querer: me ha costado algo cómo tres meses cada vez que he hecho el cambio).
Old August 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English-USA
Equis is on a distinguished road
I love the vos....... Como estais?????
Old August 26, 2010, 05:33 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equis View Post
I love the vos<--voseo (2nd person singular)....... Como estais<--vosotros (2nd person plural)?????
Be careful, Equis - you used the vosotros form here (2nd person plural). What I'm talking about is quite different, it is called "voseo" which uses "vos" instead of "tú" (2nd person singular). Take a closer look at the whole thread and some of the links. You can also use the search box to find more threads about "voseo".
Old June 29, 2011, 06:43 PM
Opal

sst is on a distinguished road
Hello Hola :-)

I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes that forum-ites from Venezuela and Chile might see this (and if anyone know the Ladino dialect as well) and could help direct me in my research for a broad overview of the voseo.

Originally laepelba was asking about the conjugation for the verb 'ir' = to go...which in the 'general' vos form is the same as the tú form, and somewhat 'irregular' in that way. I too am looking for the conjugation for 'ir' = to go in the voseo from the other areas ... and now I am wondering if I'm making this too difficult ;-) perhaps the Venezuelan, Chilean and Ladino constructions of the vos form for 'ir' are also 'irregularly regular' and all use 'vas' jajaja !

However, I did want to check with everyone here first, because I am unable to travel myself to discover the variations of vos first hand
:-/

Gracias de antemano por su ayuda !

(edited to add that I do think that Equis' estáis is the correct form of vos for those in Venezuela, as is estái in Chile)

Last edited by sst; June 29, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sst View Post
(hmmm...can't edit my own post and wanted to add that I do think that Equis' estáis is the correct form of vos for those in Venezuela, as is estái is in Chile)
If that is the case then in Chile it would be the usage of vo'

and there nowhere in the Spanish world the usage of the "voeo"

Old June 29, 2011, 07:19 PM
Opal

sst is on a distinguished road
Does your nickname 'chileno' mean you're the expert on vos from Chile ?!

perhaps drop the -s and make it 'va' ?!
Old June 29, 2011, 10:31 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Have a look at this article to see if it helps any. Here is another.
Chileno is from Chile, but lives in the US.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: