Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

"Me and my father": is it Yo y mi padre?

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old June 08, 2016, 05:32 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Thou speakest aright. Blessed be thy day.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 09, 2016, 12:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Most thankful of thy corrections!
Old June 13, 2016, 08:26 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
pineapplegal is on a distinguished road
Yes, the correct English is to say, "My father and I."
But it was informal for a caption under a photo. The viewer would be seeing me on the left and my dad on the right, so logistically using the widely used and accepted, "Me and my father," (sort of a slang/informal version) would be fine.

Thanks for the follow up posts.
Old June 13, 2016, 11:13 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplegal View Post
Yes, the correct English is to say, "My father and I."
But it was informal for a caption under a photo. The viewer would be seeing me on the left and my dad on the right, so logistically using the widely used and accepted, "Me and my father," (sort of a slang/informal version) would be fine.

Thanks for the follow up posts.
In the absence of context, we forum participants tend to favor/focus on standard usage. As you observe, within a particular context pragmatic considerations can override the norms of standard usage when the degree of formality of the context would normally require observing standard usage norms.

I've just realized that in the discussion most of us who responded didn't notice or didn't pay attention to the fact that you stated that the translation was for a photo caption.

I agree that for a photo caption, particular in an informal context, using "me and my father" or "me, my father" to match the left-to-right positioning of individuals within the image makes more sense than the formally-correct "my father and me". In this case translating the caption into Spanish as "yo y mi padre" could also be acceptable because of the same pragmatic considerations.

Last edited by wrholt; June 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old June 13, 2016, 06:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Yes, yes..., providing we are not writing Arabic... but the obvious thing is that your father would look slightly older than you, (just a couple of decades or so), and I have to admit that sometimes mother and daughter look like two peas in a pod...

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: