Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

Recording mp3 files

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Old August 12, 2009, 11:11 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English/Ingles
satchrocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
I don´t have a mike. I´m trying to record from the internet.

In the old computer no problem. But I can´t use it now. People at worl told me that they had the same problem because new computers are vetoed and you need a kind of cable to decieve the program. But I don´t know.

well. c´est la guerre !
So you are trying to record sounds playing on the internet (i.e. a song, video file, etc.) so that you can replay them off of the internet?

If this is the case, the reason for your difficulty may also be the fact that Microsoft got rid of the option to record your computer's sounds in Vista (in XP, you could record "what you hear" from your computer just fine); I think this was to prevent users from using streaming music videos (such as videos on Youtube) to "record" and save mp3s, thereby getting the music without paying for it.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 19, 2009, 11:26 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
And what can I do them, anybody coming to Madrid soon to help me ?
Old September 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
And what can I do them, anybody coming to Madrid soon to help me ?
What operating system are you using?
Old September 20, 2009, 01:04 AM
Diamond

Windows xp
Old September 20, 2009, 09:24 AM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Yes. I also have XP and would like to make a hard copy of a Youtube clip. I have a way that works, but quality could be better. I use a digital camera (on video setting) on a tripod to record sound and picture. I use external speakers to feed the camera mike. Rumour has it that you can set up your computer to record any AV output from your computer, but how?
Old October 06, 2009, 05:43 AM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
I have just found a very useful free utility called Vdownloader which works very well with Windows XP. There is also a Vista version
Old October 06, 2009, 11:48 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
If you want record some MP3 files in your computer from Cd'rom, then I can recomming you that you use the real jukebox, it can download from internet and later with a easy steps you'll can install it in your computer without a lot process during the install, I've use thus software before, really it's worked for me, therefore I'm feel that it can be to great useful for you.
Old October 31, 2009, 06:04 AM
Diamond

I have just downloaded a new version of Audacity, it is great, but it doesn´t record either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Being able to record an mp3 file is useful to the language learner. One neat thing you can do here at Tomisimo is upload mp3 files, attach them to posts, and others can listen right from your post. You can do this to illustrate correct pronunciation for others, or you can record yourself speaking your target language and ask others to critique your pronunciation.

How to record an mp3

Note: There are many ways to record audio, this is just one example, and is a Windows-specific example as well.
  1. Download and install Audacity, an open-source (free) audio recorder. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
  2. Download the LAME mp3 encoder (also open-source), and extract the lame_enc.dll file (you can save it anywhere you like.) http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...&item=lame-mp3
  3. Run Audacity and adjust a couple of settings:
    1. Go to Edit => Preferences
    2. Click on File Formats on the left
    3. Near the bottom where it says "Mp3 Export Setup",
      1. Set the bitrate to 32 (smaller file size, sufficient quality for spoken language)
      2. Click on "Find Library" and browse to the lame_enc.dll file you downloaded.
    4. Click on Audio I/O on the left
      1. Near the top right, select Channels: 1 (mono). (smaller file size, sufficient quality for spoken language)
  4. To record, just press R or hit the record button
  5. To play what you've recorded, just press the spacebar or click the play button
  6. To delete what you've recorded, click the small X in the top left corner of the track you recorded.
  7. To save it as an mp3, go to File => Export as... => Mp3...
Audacity can look pretty intimidating because there are a lot of options, but it's not as bad as it looks.

After you have your mp3 files, just attach them to any post here and other members can listen to them right in the post.
I don´t have the file format option you say

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 06, 2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old October 31, 2009, 02:25 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
There're a lot of software in the internet, that you can use for recorder to music in your computer, in my case these last few days I needed a software that it could convert the MP3 file to WMA file, therefore I did a little search in the internet and just I found a good and wonderful software that could does it, in this moment I didn't remember the software, and either I'm in laptop where I've installed the software, but tonight I will find the software in the computer and, I believe that I can write here software name, therefore I don't know it can help you, but it does it please you let me know.

You should to take in mind that the Audacity software need to has installed the licence, because if you haven't installed it, therefore every features will not available for you, until you decide buy the own licence of the software.

Have you tried use the software Media player from Windows?

The Nero like to does it.

Tags
audio, mp3

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: