Old May 03, 2008, 11:46 AM
Emerald

Location: Where the stork dropped me years ago, wish it had done it further north
Native Language: nominally:Spanish, emotionally:Engl
Iris is on a distinguished road
Why do you always have to say that your English is not good enough? Don't put yourself down. I'm here to do that myself...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 03, 2008, 03:35 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Ok, I found syntagma in a regular dictionary and it means a syntactic element. Thanks Alfonso. It's a new word for me.
Old May 05, 2008, 06:28 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
It's really tempting to link this daily word, leche, to Jane's today post, el colmo, as:
  • Es el colmo.
  • Es la leche.
... meaning the same, with the latter being vulgar, and the former not being vulgar (former / latter phrases need to be balanced or they will sound broken.There are less awkward ways of writing writing this, but my my correction here is less intrusive. Additionly, referring to the latter first and the former later is bad form--not quite cantiflando but getting there . Do you use it the same way in other Hispanic countries?
Regarding "hispanic countries". I believe hispanic is an incorrect word choice although it my be technically correct and a matter of symantics. Nevertheless, it fees wrong. Example: Cuban people are hispanic because they are Spanish-speaking, but Cuba is not an hispanic country. Austrians are germanic for the same reason. Austria is not a germanic country but it is a German-speaking country. The people Turmenistan may be Turkic, but Turmenistan is not a Turkik country unless it is owned by Turkey, and it is not.
Old May 05, 2008, 07:15 AM
Emerald

Location: Where the stork dropped me years ago, wish it had done it further north
Native Language: nominally:Spanish, emotionally:Engl
Iris is on a distinguished road
To me Hispanic doesn't mean that it belongs to Spain, but that it shares the same language, heritage and cultural roots.
Old May 05, 2008, 07:18 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Poli, regarding ... with the latter being vulgar, and the last not, you are correcting your correction, as you can see following the link below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Regarding Hispanic countries, that is a political correction I don't share.

Thanks a lot for your effort, and I am not kidding.
Old May 05, 2008, 08:07 AM

You acked me to to clarify my corrections several times. Each time I tweeked it a little bit more. Regarding the former/latter thing: refer to later corrections I made and you will note that I have not corrected my
English but yours. As far as "hispanic countries" is concerned, technically
it may be correct, but apolitically and honestly the term Spanish-speaking nations sounds less odd.

Poli
Old May 05, 2008, 09:32 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

I'm sorry Poli. I'm a bad person, I know. To me it's clear who proposed the phrase in question, but I think it doesn't matter.
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that it's not easy to correct, and that one need to leave aside his own idiolect to consider what might be right and what is wrong in an other's text. For example, the question about Hispanic countries.
OK, it's perfect if you consider this expression a little odd, or you don't agree its political connotations. But, google it:

Hispanic countries: 191.000 entries.
Spanish speaking nations: 28.000 entries. (this one is the last one you proposed).

And:
268.000 de "Spanish speaking countries". (0,68 segundos)

You, bad boy, tried to exchange my Hispanic countries (pointed with 191.000 entries) with your Spanish speaking nations (28.000 entries).

Three possibilities are correct. Is one of them odd? Maybe Spanish Speaking nations... Poli's famous choice.

I know, I welcome all corrections, but it's important to follow some rules for the corrections to be worthwhile: to be as less invasive as possible, to be accurate, not to change the nuance of the text you are correcting, to think that you don't really need to change what is OK in some part of the world, to explain all corrections which are not grammatical (because the very first thing the learner thinks when he sees a corrections is that the grammar is wrong), etc.

I think we have enough confidence to share what I mention. I hope you understand it. Nevertheless, I will understand if you tell me to mind my own business. That's what I'm doing .

... I think you will not get upset with me, but if you get:
Old May 05, 2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry Poli. I'm a bad person, I know. To me it's clear who proposed the phrase in question, but I think it doesn't matter.
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that it's not easy to correct, and that one need(s) to leave (put) aside his own idiolect to consider what might be right and what is wrong in an other's text. For example, the question about Hispanic countries.
OK, it's perfect if you consider this expression a little odd, or you don't agree its political connotations. But, google it:

Hispanic countries: 191.000 entries.
Spanish speaking nations: 28.000 entries. (this one is the last one you proposed).

And:
268.000 de "Spanish speaking countries". (0,68 segundos)

You, bad boy, tried to exchange my Hispanic countries (pointed with 191.000 entries) with your Spanish speaking nations (28.000 entries).

Three possibilities are correct. Is one of them odd? Maybe Spanish Speaking nations... Poli's famous choice.

I know, I welcome all corrections, but it's important (to know that the following rules for corrections are worthwhile. to follow some rules for the corrections to be worthwhile: to be as uninvasive as possible, to be accurate, not to change the nuance of the text you are correcting, to think that you don't really need to change what is OK in some part of the world, to explain all corrections which are not grammatical (because the very first thing the learner thinks when he sees a corrections is that the grammar is wrong), etc.

I think we have enough confidence to share what I mention. I hope you understand it. Nevertheless, I will understand if you tell me to mind my own business,(because minding my business is exactly what I'm doing.)I think this is what you mean in not, explain further That's what I'm doing .

(... I think you will not get upset with me, but if you get
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I think it means:
I don't think you will get upset with me, but if you do get upset,then tough s..t.
Is that what you mean?

Poli
Old May 05, 2008, 10:52 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Great, Poli. This is absolutely great. I understand all of your corrections. I'm sorry if I sounded demanding or rude. But I didn't have any other way to express something of my concern!
I owe you a couple of very good corrections and a couple / pair of drinks next time you came to Madrid.
Cheers!
Yes, I meant what you thought!

Last edited by Alfonso; May 05, 2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Corrections thanks to David
Old May 05, 2008, 02:10 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm sorry if I sounded exigent or rude. But I hadn't got any other way to express something of my concern!
Exigent probably exists as an English word, but the best translation for exigente would be demanding. "I'm sorry if I sounded demanding or rude".

Also, "I hadn't got" sounds rather strange to me. I'd use "I didn't have" in this case.

I don't have any money = I haven't got any money
I didn't have any money ≠ I hadn't got any money

I hadn't got OR I hadn't gotten any money sounds like I hadn't received any money to me.

Of course, this might be different in British English etc.

Tags
leche, milk, sintagma, syntagm, syntagma, syntax

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: