Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

Should illegal immigrants be granted amnesty in the U.S.?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Closed Thread

Old July 27, 2013, 02:10 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road

This is a big debate going on right now in the U.S.
What do you think?
Most are Spanish speaking a proposito.

¿Los inmigrantes ilegales deben ser amnistiados en Los Estados Unidos?
¿Qué piensan ustedes sobre esto?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
Opal

Xilea is on a distinguished road
I don´t know much about laws in the USA, but I think there are some universal and moral principles and I´m going to give my personal opinion.

All of us are humans, and only for this reason we have specific Human Rights which you can read in Universal Declaration of Human Rights, signed by the US. In this Declaration there are many rights, one of this is the right for working with a fair salary and other is having health with medicine´s help.

This is no a gift, it is a right, and more than ever if you are paying a Health Service with taxes from your own salary. Are immigrants different workers? Living in a foreign country makes you less human or less worker? Do you have to pay more only because your natural country is miserable and you had to go to a richer country? If you answer yes for this questions, then amnesty is not necessary in the US. At least, I think so...
Old July 29, 2013, 08:36 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Oí dicho que hay más que doce millones de personas viviendo en EEUU sin papeles. Van a tener que hacer algo. Aunque llegaron en EEUU en una manera contra las reglas no vamos a deportarlos todos. Simplamente hay damasiada qente para una espulción Si los hacen ciudadanos van a pagar impuestos como todos los residents legales hacen (menos que algunos billonarios )y_eso ayudará resolver de deficit nacional.

La pregunta es si van hacerles residents legales o ciudadanos. Los republicanos no están en favor de ciudanería para esa qente porque saben que la mayoría de ellos no los apoyan . Como ciudadanos tienen el poder de votar y si ganan ese derecho, la mayoría votarán para los demócratas. Como residents legales no pueden votar.
Old August 05, 2013, 10:54 AM
Emerald

When I was going to high school and college I worked in car washes with the so called illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America. (Most spoke only Spanish and this is how I started learning Spanish.) They would show me their Social Security cards that were in somebody else's name. Did some research in the last few years and found out that illegals pay into S.S. around seven billion a year and will never get to collect on it. Thus helping keeping better Social Security benefits for the rest of us. Even if they become legal they cannot collect on that money. This is one of the big benefits of having illegals. Also when things go bad they can be used as scapegoats for all our problems. None of this is fair of course. Ironically many legal immigrants are a drain on the system. Illegals can't collect welfare, legals can. Illegals pay more in pay roll taxes and when they buy things they pay taxes. In fact many legal immigrants pay no income taxes because many of them don't work. Contrary to popular opinion illegals do not get medical help while legal immigrants do. I know a legal immigrant who got on Social Security and free medical as soon as he arrived in the U.S. Illegals can't do this. They have to work or starve. They are an excellent supply of cheap labor that the U.S. wants. They actually keep the cost of things down. They do all the terrible dangerous work citizens won't do. Just yesterday I was talking to a Mexican worker who spent years putting tile on houses in Arizona in 120 degree heat. How many Americans are willing to do that day after day. Not many. Ilegals work in many dangerous jobs such as the meat packing industry where there are many injuries. They work on our highways doing dangerous work on bridges. Think of the most dangerous jobs there are that citizens won't do and the illegals are doing them for low pay, no pay for over time and no benefits. They live in crowded slum conditions too. They work in sweat shops making our clothes and pick all are fruits and vegetables in the hot sun for low wages with no benefits. They buy our products and make rich people richer. They baby sit the rich people's kids for very low wages.

Last edited by Villa; August 05, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old August 07, 2013, 06:59 PM
Opal

Native Language: Castellano (Venezolano)
IgnisDiv is on a distinguished road
Should they?
Maybe, maybe not. That's up for debate. Considering the US's history, I humbly postulate that heck yeah. It's a nation of immigrants. Now it's the Latin Americans, before it was the Italians, before the Irish, before the Germans.. It'll be someone else in a few decades.
'Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless,
Tempest-tossed to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!'

But I think the real matter is- can the US afford NOT to grant them amnesty eventually?
And I don't think there's much debate to be had there.
Old August 08, 2013, 11:30 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
I guess it depends on what you mean by amnesty?

This is purely my personal opinion, based on what limited information I have.

Basically, I think any concept of deporting the 12+ million illegal immigrants is foolish. So, we aren't going to throw them all in jail either, so they are here to stay.

I would vote that we give them a form of amnesty. They get green cards and move to the back of the line of the legal immigrants waiting list. That way they are not stealing identities. They are allowed to work. They can't be as easily exploited. But they also don't get rewarded for doing things the wrong way. As a precaution to keep it from happening more, there need to be strict penalties for employers hiring illegal or undocumented workers.

I know there is more to the story than what I said though because I know I don't have the facts. But since the topic asked for an opinion, I gave one =)
Old August 22, 2013, 09:46 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
Every time the people from the United States remember how they were first legal immigrants in the Mexican Texas and how then they conquered the territory and annexed it to their country, they answer this question. They probably are absolutely scared by the possibility of being gradually "reconquered" by their dark-skinned southern neighbors.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:33 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Así es. Hay gente blanca que tiene miedo de perder control de la política en EEUU.Lo que pasa en el suroeste de EEUU es casi igual a lo que pasa en paises de Europa (España y imigrantes del norte de Africa por ejemplo).

Last edited by poli; August 23, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old August 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Así es. Hay gente blanca que tiene miedo de perder control de la política en EEUU. Es casi igual a lo que pasa en paises de Europa (España y Maruecas por ejemplo).
Estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo poli. Las 400 familias más ricas de los EE.UU. son todos blancos. Sin embargo, yo soy blanco y yo soy tan pobre como una rata. Imagínate si yo no fuera blanco. jajajajajaja...

Fuera de broma estoy leyendo un libro muy interesante en estos momentos por Bernie Sanders. Dice que durante los ocho años de presidente Arbusto, los estadounidenses más ricos (400 Ameiricans) vieron sus ingresos más del doble, mientras que sus tasas de impuesto se redujo casi a la mitad para el año 1995 a 2007. Todo gracias a nuestro gran presidente G.W. No es para menos que no hay suficiente dinero para las escuelas y otras cosas para nosotros la gente normal. Y luego hechan la culpa a los pobres immigrantes. ¡Es el colmo! Es más, perdí mi trabajo como maestro gracias a las guerras de G. Hasta mi director de la escuela dijo así.

Last edited by Villa; August 22, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old August 23, 2013, 04:51 AM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo poli. Las 400 familias más ricas de los EE.UU. son todos blancos. Sin embargo, yo soy blanco y yo soy tan pobre como una rata. Imagínate si yo no fuera blanco. jajajajajaja...

Fuera de broma estoy leyendo un libro muy interesante en estos momentos por Bernie Sanders. Dice que durante los ocho años de presidente Arbusto, los estadounidenses más ricos (400 Ameiricans) vieron sus ingresos más del doble, mientras que sus tasas de impuesto se redujo casi a la mitad para el año 1995 a 2007. Todo gracias a nuestro gran presidente G.W. No es para menos que no hay suficiente dinero para las escuelas y otras cosas para nosotros la gente normal. Y luego hechan la culpa a los pobres immigrantes. ¡Es el colmo! Es más, perdí mi trabajo como maestro gracias a las guerras de G. Hasta mi director de la escuela dijo así.
Y yo estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo Villa. G.W. Bush es el peor presidente jamás de los EE.UU.

Él sólo estaba interesado en ayudar a la gente súper rica. Él debe estar asfaltada y plumada y echado fuera del pueblo. Él debe estar en la cárcel para toda su vida por toda la muerte y destrucción que ha causado. Ha robado a los pobres y dado a los ricos. Es lo contrario de Robin Hood. Destruyó la economia de los EE.UU.

Destruyó la economia de Europa. Muchos de los males del mundo han sido causados ​​por él. Y como si esto fuera poco era un idiota completo que no podían hablar mejor que un niño pequeño. Entre muchas de sus frases idiotas dijo que los peces y las personas pueden vivir juntos. ¿Qué diablos es eso?
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: