Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Indicative Practice in the Present Tense

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 30, 2009, 02:28 PM
Ruby

Native Language: U.S. English
AutumnBreeze is on a distinguished road
Indicative Practice in the Present Tense

Will you guys critique my sentences?

1. Hay doscientos setenta y cinco los arboles en este parque. (There are 275 trees in this park.)

2. Mis huevos y papas tiene sabor como el pez. ( My eggs and potatoes taste like fish.)

Gah! Sorry, gotta run! Toddler running amuck . BBL with more...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 30, 2009, 03:08 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze View Post
Will you guys critique my sentences?

1. Hay doscientos setenta y cinco los árboles en este parque. (There are 275 trees in this park.)

2. Mis huevos y papas tiene sabor como el pez saben a pescado. ( My eggs and potatoes taste like fish.)

Gah! Sorry, gotta run! Toddler running amuck . BBL with more...
Comments above
Old May 01, 2009, 09:51 PM
Ruby

Thanks Angelica! So, no definite article before trees in that sentence huh? I read that in general the definite article is used before a noun used in the general sense. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what they mean by that?

More sentences:

3. La escuela tiene los mejores violinistas en la ciudad. (The school has the best violinists in the city.)

4. Mi barco es lleno de agujeros y gusanos mojado lodoso. (My boat is full of holes and wet, slimy worms.)

5. Su fruta parece madura y deliciosa. (Your fruit looks ripe and delicious.)

6. ¿Puedes conducir me a la tienda? (Can you drive me to the store?)

7. Esta taza de café es muy bueno y estas galleta son blanda y gomosa. (this cup of coffee is great and these cookies are soft and chewy.)
Old May 01, 2009, 11:40 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks Angelica! So, no definite article before trees in that sentence huh? I read that in general the definite article is used before a noun used in the general sense. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what they mean by that?

More sentences:

3. La escuela tiene los mejores violinistas de la ciudad. (The school has the best violinists in the city.)

4. Mi barco es lleno de agujeros y gusanos húmedos y lodosos. (My boat is full of holes and wet, slimy worms.)

5. Su fruta parece madura y deliciosa. (Your fruit looks ripe and delicious.)

6. ¿Puedes conducirme a la tienda? (Can you drive me to the store?)

7. Esta taza de café es muy buena y estas galletas son blandas y gomosas. (this cup of coffee is great and these cookies are soft and chewy.)
When you use the pronoun behind the verb, it's written close to the verb (they're called pronombres enclíticos, if you want to search for more information).

Maybe you find a bit strange that we say "buena" instead of "bueno", because you're referring to the coffee, but as the adjective refers to the subject "taza" (this is a copulative sentence with concordance in gender and number) in this case the noun is "taza", "de café" is a noun object composed with preposition and noun. You could say also: "es una taza de buen café" or "es una taza con un café muy bueno". I hope you will see the difference.
Old May 03, 2009, 07:40 PM
Ruby

Seeing the difference . Making note of the corrections. Thanks so much!
Old May 03, 2009, 09:50 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Nico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
When you use the pronoun behind the verb, it's written close to the verb (they're called pronombres enclíticos, if you want to search for more information).

Maybe you find a bit strange that we say "buena" instead of "bueno", because you're referring to the coffee, but as the adjective refers to the subject "taza" (this is a copulative sentence with concordance in gender and number) in this case the noun is "taza", "de café" is a noun object composed with preposition and noun. You could say also: "es una taza de buen café" or "es una taza con un café muy bueno". I hope you will see the difference.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this translation and correction. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, in Spanish, you cannot say, "¿Puedes conducirme a la tienda?" It has to be "¿Puedes llevarme a la tienda?"
Old May 04, 2009, 04:52 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this translation and correction. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, in Spanish, you cannot say, "¿Puedes conducirme a la tienda?" It has to be "¿Puedes llevarme a la tienda?"
I agree that llevarme is much more acceptable, but I've heard conducirme/manejarme al/a la _____.
Old May 06, 2009, 08:42 PM
Ruby

More Attempts at the Present Indicative

1. Mi hijo es asombroso. ¡Él es tan un tipo alocado y loco! - My son is amazing. He's such a wild and crazy guy!

2. Qué haces exterior? - What are you doing outside?

3. Soy dibujando en el suelo con gis. - I'm drawing a picture on the ground wih chalk.

4. ¿Te gusta comer palomitas mientras mirando películas de miedos en un sábado noche? - Do you like to eat popcorn while watching horror movies on a Saturday night?

5. ¡Sí, me gusta palomitas y una película de miedo buena en un sábado noche! - Yes, I like popcorn and a good horror movie on a Saturday night!

6. Me gusta perros mejor que gatos. - I like dogs better than cats.

7. ¿Cuántos años tienen sus niños y qué son sus nombres? - How old are your children and what are their names?

8. No hemos niños alguner ahora mismo. - We don't have any children right now.

9. Cuando es llueve hago daño a mi rodilla muy malo. - When it rains my knee hurts very badly.

10. Agúa es esencial por salud buena. - Water is essential for good health.
Old May 07, 2009, 04:21 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
1. Mi hijo es asombroso. ¡Él es tan un tipo alocado y loco! - My son is amazing. He's such a wild and crazy guy!

2. ¿Qué haces afuera? - What are you doing outside?

3. Estoy dibujando en el suelo con tiza. - I'm drawing a picture on the ground wih chalk.

4. ¿Te gusta comer palomitas al mirar películas de horror en un sábado por la noche? - Do you like to eat popcorn while watching horror movies on a Saturday night?

5. Sí, ¡me gustan las palomitas y una buena película de horror en un sábado por la noche! - Yes, I like popcorn and a good horror movie on a Saturday night!

6. Me gustan los perros mejor que los gatos. - I like dogs better than cats.

7. ¿Cuántos años tienen sus niños y cuáles son sus nombres? - How old are your children and what are their names?

8. No tenemos hijos alguner ahora mismo. - We don't have any children right now.

9. Cuando es llueve me duele la rodilla mucho. - When it rains my knee hurts very badly.

10. El agua es esencial para la buena salud. - Water is essential for good health.
The first sentence needs changed, as well, but I've got to run.
Old May 07, 2009, 06:54 AM
Ruby

OK, thanks Rusty! I'll make the corrections .

I get the change in sentence 3 to 'estoy' since drawing is not a permanent thing, correct?

Hmmm, not sure I understand the change to 'al mirar' in sentence 4. Why is the gerund not used here? .

I'm confused about the placement of the definite article in front of certain nouns. I know it's for general placement but I'm missing something about what that means.

So for words like 'gustar', when you conjugate them the conjugation used needs to agree with the direct object?

I haven't looked too closely at the difference b/w 'para' and 'por' just yet.

Why is 'buena' used before 'salud' in sentence 10? Am I missing something about qualitative adjectives?

I hope this makes sense . My kiddo does not want me making corrections or understanding anything at all right now .

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: