Old June 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Question Royal Air Force Spitfire

I found this "spitfire" (the British outstanding fighter plane that was able to outmaneuver most German Luftwaffe fighters), "not translated" into Spanish in a cursory search through the net.

Does anyone know if this name has been translated into Spanish before? Is there a "standard" translation, short of "el caza 'spitfire' británico"?

Thank you in advance.

(And just thinking about the imminent soccer collision between England and Germany tomorrow... I hope the Britons get their 'spitfires' aligned... Although I have German friends and British friends, I am more for the Anglo-Saxon tribes... after all, these are Germanic as well, right?) (N.B. even if my comment seems "off-the-subject", it brings up the factor or the broader question on a metaphoric and broader usage of 'spitfire'...) So any comments on that, will be appreciated too.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 27, 2010, 03:26 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
And just thinking about the imminent soccer collision between England and Germany tomorrow... I hope the Britons get their 'spitfires' aligned... Although I have German friends and British friends, I am more for the Anglo-Saxon tribes... after all, these are Germanic as well, right?
In this instance, you should avoid the 'Britons'. As far as I can make out, the non-English Britons, mostly of Celtic origin (Welsh and Scots), do not support the Anglo-Saxon England team. No United Kingdom there!
Old June 27, 2010, 04:48 AM
Diamond

Oh, wow!, I guess it happens the same in Spain, with the different tribes from the old days...
At any rate, I will not get into tribal conflicts, but I am still for England on this game... Maybe because I like how Manchester United and Chelsea play... (as long as Barca is able to overcome them in the Champions... )
Hey, do you have any data on this "spitfire" matter?
Old June 27, 2010, 05:46 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am still for England on this game...
I suppose I am, a bit, but I feel sorry for the Germans when the England fans taunt them with chants like "2 - 0" referring of course to 20th Century wars. Sick really.

Quote:
Hey, do you have any data on this "spitfire" matter?
Sorry, no, other than I would always write Spitfire out of respect.

Last edited by Perikles; June 27, 2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old June 27, 2010, 06:27 AM
Diamond

I agree with you. A war is a game where no one wins. (Maybe the hidden instigators behind the massacre make millions... actually without 'maybe') So, yes, that is definitely pitiful. And unfortunately "we" are still using the old policy of "panem et circenses" be the "circenses", soccer, or other "games". Everything has a positive side and an aberrated one. An ideal game would be one where everybody would win. Unfortunately that is not what happens. (Even in the 11 hours 5 minutes tennis game between Isner and Mahut, Mahut ended up losing the last set 70-68!!!) Well, at least he won the recognition of playing the longest game in history...
Got it on the "Spitfire"... "We" are still believing the old adage "si vis pacem, para bellum"... while it should simply be "si vis pacem, para pacem" (I hope my Latin grammar is not way off)
Old June 27, 2010, 09:24 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Hasta donde he visto, "Spitfire" se ha quedado tal cual. Casi siempre, los nombres modernos permanecen en la lengua original, sobre todo si es inglés.

Me sonaría raro "el caza escupefuegos", pero se dan casos.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:28 AM
Diamond

Gracias, Angélica. Lo que dices tiene sentido. "Windows Vista" se queda tal cual, no decimos, "Ventanas Vista" (para el programa de la computadora...)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: