Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Teaching children a foreign language

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 31, 2010, 09:44 PM
Opal

dvisto is on a distinguished road
Here are a few activities and methods you can use to teach your children foreign lnguages.

1. Watch TV and Movies:There are so many english cartoons dubbed in Spanish (eg. spongebob, dora the explorer, sesame street)

2.Games: Want your kids to enjoy learning a foreign language. Then purchase interactive computer games in a foreign language.

3.Read and Sing: Start with basic children’s books that are kindergarten to preschool level and work up.

The earlier you start the better.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 02, 2010, 04:10 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
One of my driving forces for learning Spanish is because I have a 3-year-old and I would like to get him started on learning Spanish. I've heard that children may have an easier time learning foreign languages. That being said a buddy of mine who is a speech pathologist told me that teaching a child a foreign language after age 2 can lead to confusion for the child and make it difficult to separate the two languages as they continue to learn both languages.

I'm interested to know what others think about trying to teach a toddler a foreign language. Is it a good idea? Does anyone on this forum have experience with it?
Hi Josh, I think it is an excellent idea. I read this thread and pretty much all the pertinent answers you got here. Each of them valuable and useful. I can tell you that I started learning Catalonian (Catalán, very similar to Italian/Spanish/Portuguese) when I was 3 or 4, as people around me spoke Catalonian, although my parents spoke Spanish Castilian to me and I spoke Castilian. I started to speak Catalonian when I was 8 or 9, not very confidently, but I could understand everything. Never had a confusion. Started French at 11 and English at 20! Never studied Italian, but when I was 17 and travelled to Italy I quickly picked it up, as it is very similar to Spanish. Portuguese, I understand thanks to the similarity. I have seen kids from 7 or 8 years talking Spanish, English, French, German and Danish like nobody's business! Seriously. They would not mix these languages, and I honestly would feel 'retarded' being a grown-up and only being able to speak a bit of English... I am just telling you this because I have seen people with total command of English and Spanish and perfect accents in both languages... Bottom line, to make long story short, learn yourself and teach your kids, get them to learn by themselves, as long as you learn with a purpose, you will learn, you can go at your own pace and your kid at his, take it easy and ENJOY what you learn... using it...
I hope this is useful to you. ¡Buena suerte! [Good luck!]
Old June 02, 2010, 05:15 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
What science.
I believe that the science is wrote in all the languages knowns in the world.

It's nice the Latin, but I don't believe needed in the language at least in a archeology, there in that science is important that the people knows different dialects and languages for the old story and important documents discovered ultimately.
Chemistry - the elements. On this TV show - Jeopardy I was watching - a few weeks ago one of the categories was Elemental Latin. The clues were in Latin but I got them really easily! Because I knew what they were. aren't most of the elements from Latin? Like Au, Ag, gold, silver
Old June 02, 2010, 05:56 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Chemistry - the elements. On this TV show - Jeopardy I was watching - a few weeks ago one of the categories was Elemental Latin. The clues were in Latin but I got them really easily! Because I knew what they were. aren't most of the elements from Latin? Like Au, Ag, gold, silver
I believe so.
I studied 1 year of Latin. When I did it, it was "mandatory", so I had no purpose. Nowadays, I realize HOW USEFUL IT IS.

Basically all Romance languages come from LATIN, so knowing Latin gives you such ability to understand in present time, that it is not even funny...

There are TONs of English words with Latin derivation... In other words, "they" say Latin is a "dead tongue"... But not so, really. It is alive in the aforementioned languages, in scientific nomenclature and furthermore, the Asterix and Obelix comics are TRANSLATED into Latin... That should be enough motivation for anyone to start learning this vibrant, dynamic and humorous and dramatic... tonge... (I am joking a bit, but on the other hand I am serious.) Like my mother used to say, however, "Quan natura non dat, Salamanca non presta" (something to the effect that when you don't have a basic-natural intelligence, the University of Salamanca is not going to lend you some extra I.Q...)
Old June 03, 2010, 12:00 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes but the Latin language isn't necessary in the ambit labor, already that the companies at least here in Mexico or my city thus language isn't required for the industry, the language more required for the industry is the turk language and the English too.

In both cases they're necessarily for the commerce in the ambit labor, yes it could sound interesting in the investigation of the new cultures more here in south America for any discovery, but well it totally is the tasty of each person, in my point of view personal it's not necessary.

But well your brother has the freedom of acquire any language of his preference.

Don't you?
Old June 03, 2010, 12:28 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Tarential is on a distinguished road
Certainly learning Latin is not necessary, and I don't believe anyone wished to give that impression. It can be, however, quite useful in many situations. Most of our scientific nomenclature can be traced to Latin roots or is specifically Latin itself. As an example of what I mean (besides the chemistry elements example already posted), we can consider the taxonomy of the flora and fauna of our planet.

To start with, flora and fauna are both words of Latin origin (Flora being the goddess of flowers and Fauna being the sister of Faunus, the god of the woods). Certainly I did not need to know these origins to learn the meaning of flora (plant life) and fauna (animal life), but it is very useful to know.

Now let us consider the common wolf. Laymen would refer to it as merely a "wolf". However, in scientific terms it is actually "canis lupus" which shows the genus and species of the animal. Without knowledge of Latin one would have to memorize this name and association. However, by knowing Latin the meaning becomes quite clear. Canis means dog, and lupus means wolf. We can therefore assume this creature is a wolf (which is a kind of dog). Our common dog is canis lupus familiaris, from which we can see that all modern pet dogs share a common ancestor with the gray wolf.

I hope this post has helped you see how Latin can help people in scientific work and understanding of English terms.

Disclaimer: I have taken only high school biology and know very limited amounts of Latin, so I apologize for any factual errors I may have made.
Old June 03, 2010, 12:49 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarential View Post
Certainly learning Latin is not necessary, and I don't believe anyone wished to give that impression. It can be, however, quite useful in many situations. Most of our scientific nomenclature can be traced to Latin roots or is specifically Latin itself. As an example of what I mean (besides the chemistry elements example already posted), we can consider the taxonomy of the flora and fauna of our planet.

To start with, flora and fauna are both words of Latin origin (Flora being the goddess of flowers and Fauna being the sister of Faunus, the god of the woods). Certainly I did not need to know these origins to learn the meaning of flora (plant life) and fauna (animal life), but it is very useful to know.

Now let us consider the common wolf. Laymen would refer to it as merely a "wolf". However, in scientific terms it is actually "canis lupus" which shows the genus and species of the animal. Without knowledge of Latin one would have to memorize this name and association. However, by knowing Latin the meaning becomes quite clear. Canis means dog, and lupus means wolf. We can therefore assume this creature is a wolf (which is a kind of dog). Our common dog is canis lupus familiaris, from which we can see that all modern pet dogs share a common ancestor with the gray wolf.

I hope this post has helped you see how Latin can help people in scientific work and understanding of English terms.

Disclaimer: I have taken only high school biology and know very limited amounts of Latin, so I apologize for any factual errors I may have made.
Yes you right as you have said in the scientific term is most used, because that is the reason of the scientific names in the actuality as you said in the animals names are named for it's scientific name and well just of there coming the names that nowadays the culture uses, but anyhow in the actuality the scientific names aren't used for the ordinary people, in my case I don't use the scientific name in this case for the dog, only I see wrote that name in the zoo, but anyway the more correct way to name something is for scientific name that the scientific people use daily.

I agree with your term and your own way to think in the Latin use, and well I think that the Latin usages is important only for the people who really uses the language like as writers or reading of the old culture, also the scientific people who investigate the new species in the planet or world animal.

Without those term I don't believe that today existing all the variety of the common names that exist currently.

Well said everything.
Old June 03, 2010, 03:55 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Puede ser importante para cualquier persona, no solo para científicos de profesión. Las cosas no tienen que rectificar las convenciones sociales (es decir, no tienen porqué ser útiles para la sociedad) para emprender su estudio o uso. Veamos, ¿es necesario vivir?
Old June 04, 2010, 01:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you knew enough Spanish, you could associate those elements with Spanish:
Au - oro - áureo
Ag - plata - argento, Argentina
Fe - hierro - vía férrea, ferroso.
etc.

Old June 04, 2010, 04:04 AM
Diamond

Well, for that matter, English too, (even if 'poetic' or 'technical')
aurify - to cause to appear golden; gild: Dawn came, and sunlight aurified the lead-gray ocean.
argentine - (note lower case) means "of or pertaining to silver".
ferroelectric - pertaining to a substance that possesses spontaneous electric polarization such that the polarization can be reversed by an electric field.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: