Old January 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
On the same subject, of which I too despair, can anyone explain why my dictionary gives these two different examples of lack of possessive adjective?

Levantó los ojos del libro he raised his eyes from his book.
Se levantó el sombrero he raised his hat.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
On the same subject, of which I too despair, can anyone explain why my dictionary gives these two different examples of lack of possessive adjective?

Difficult question , since you could say:

Levanta el sombrero de la silla.

I don't know a good explanation to that question. Thinking a bit I've realised that usually you use pronominal verbs when you are talking about dressing or undressing (vestirse, desvestirse, ponerse o quitarse los zapatos, la camisa, etc.), I guess with a reflexive meaning, although it's used in reciprocal meanings, too.

Maybe this could be an explanation of "levantarse el sombrero" or "quitarse el sombrero", though I can't be sure at all.

Old January 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Nope ... I still don't get it. If I want to say "raise your hand" to a student, I say "levanta la mano", right? There's no "se" in it, yet I'm still using "la" and not "tu". I still don't know when to use the possessive and when to use the definite article.............
Ok, now I see better your problem....

Please think about what I am going to say whether is correct or not in English.

Raise your hand. = Levanta tu mano

Raise the (left) hand = Levanta la mano (izquierda)

I could've also used ...tu mano izquierda etc...

On the reflexive is different

La mano se levanta, y cae la guillotina.

The hand raises (itself), and the guillotine falls.

better?

Quote:
You're right - I'm still stuck on this and can't get out...... Again:
Patience, that it is normal, but once you get out of it you'll be in for treat, and what's better, you'll get a way to "unstuck" yourself.

Quote:

Same thing that I mentioned to laepleba.

Does it work for you, if not let me know.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 23, 2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old January 23, 2010, 02:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Ok, now I see better your problem....

Please think about what I am going to say whether is correct or not in English.

Raise your hand. = Levanta tu mano

Raise the (left) hand = Levanta la mano (izquierda)

I could've also used ...tu mano izquierda etc...

On the reflexive is different

La mano se levanta, y cae la guillotina.

The hand raises (itself), and the guillotine falls.

better?
I would actually never say "raise the hand". Ever. Unless I were giving a general imperative to raise the hand of someone else. "Raise the left hand of the person sitting to your right." But when would I ever say that??? I'm still stuck........ (sigh.....)

Quote:
Patience, that it is normal, but once you get out of it you'll be in for treat, and what's better, you'll get a way to "unstuck" yourself.
As far as the tapar/ocultar/cubrir thing ... I'll study it in RAE a bit and come back if I am still .......... stuck.........

Quote:
Same thing that I mentioned to laepleba.

Does it work for you, if not let me know.
If you're not going to call me Lou Ann, at least spell "laepelba" correctly!
Old January 23, 2010, 05:38 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would actually never say "raise the hand". Ever. Unless I were giving a general imperative to raise the hand of someone else. "Raise the left hand of the person sitting to your right." But when would I ever say that??? I'm still stuck........ (sigh.....)
hmmm. I forewarned about being correct or not. Although I think what I said is correct, but you actually do not use it like that. Let's put you in a tribunal, in front of the judge....

When you are sworn, do they say: Raise your left hand... or do they say Raise the left hand?

Because after all you might get confused and take my left hand! uh!

In any event, do not worry about if you would ever use it. I think it is grammatically correct to say "Raise the left hand..."

Quote:
As far as the tapar/ocultar/cubrir thing ... I'll study it in RAE a bit and come back if I am still .......... stuck.........
No, please go to Merriam-Webster to straighten yourself in your language, utilize what you already know.

I have the feeling once you find out, you are going to feel bad. It has happened to me.

Quote:
If you're not going to call me Lou Ann, at least spell "laepelba" correctly!
OK Diane.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:00 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The reason why they are included, I guess, is because one does not expect a possessive adjective in any of those sentences in Spanish, but they are actually expected in their English equivalents.

As for the reason why there are no possessive adjectives in those sentences, the first one is more or less easy: his eyes, as a part of his body, are obviously his, so in this case, it is redundant to use possessive adjectives, unless one is making an emphasis.

I think "del libro" instead of "su libro" is because the sentence "levantó los ojos de su libro" is ambiguous: his book's eyes?
Standard Spanish correctness is supposed to avoid amphibological sentences.

"Se levantó el sombrero" necessarily means he's wearing it, so one assumes it's his.
If one says "levantó su sombrero", he's either wearing it or he's lifting it from the floor, a table or somewhere else.

I hope I didn't make it more confusing.
Old January 24, 2010, 02:47 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Standard Spanish correctness is supposed to avoid amphibological sentences..
You have made my day. I love it when I come across English words I've never heard before, especially in a sentence relating to clarity. Amphibological is perfectly correct, but is not found at all in the BNC, whereas ambiguous occurs 800 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
I think "del libro" instead of "su libro" is because the sentence "levantó los ojos de su libro" is ambiguous: his book's eyes? understood

"Se levantó el sombrero" necessarily means he's wearing it, so one assumes it's his. understood
If one says "levantó su sombrero", he's either wearing it or he's lifting it from the floor, a table or somewhere else. understood
Thanks - OK, so what would Levantó el sombrero mean? Simply that he lifted a hat, not necessarily his?

Quote:
I would actually never say "raise the hand". Ever.
I think it's fair to say the English is out of step here, not Spanish, because at least both French and German as well as Spanish assume a default option for possession when it comes to parts of the body. It may sound odd in English, but that's what it's like elsewhere.

By the way, some comedian on stage once said: Will all those who believe in telekinesis please raise my right hand.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 24, 2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old January 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You have made my day. I love it when I come across English words I've never heard before, especially in a sentence relating to clarity. Amphibological is perfectly correct, but is not found at all in the BNC, whereas ambiguous occurs 800 times.
That is EXACTLY what I said to her about that word. Well, almost. I had to look it up, too. Never heard of it. So, if you (who are infinitely smarter than I) have never heard of it, then I feel better.

Quote:
I think it's fair to say the English is out of step here, not Spanish, because at least both French and German as well as Spanish assume a default option for possession when it comes to parts of the body. It may sound odd in English, but that's what it's like elsewhere.

By the way, some comedian on stage once said: Will all those who believe in telekinesis please raise my right hand.
I've heard that one before. And I'm sure that the English is out of step. The more Spanish I learn, the more I'm convinced that there are ideas that can be expressed in other languages that English will never be able to express. Spanish allows so many nuances of meaning that English simply can't come close!

I'll keep working on the pronominal vs. definite article stuff.... I'll get there eventually....
Old January 24, 2010, 03:26 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thanks - OK, so what would Levantó el sombrero mean? Simply that he lifted a hat, not necessarily his?
Necessarily from somewhere.

If you're wearing your brother's hat, for instance, you "te levantas el sombrero". But if you see a hat on the floor, you "levantas el sombrero del suelo".

Old January 24, 2010, 08:15 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I learnt it in Spanish in the context of ambiguous sense of sentences, so that's how I applied it in English.
You obviously wouldn't find it in everyday speech in Spanish either, but that's where the richness of languages is.

Quote:
Right. Irma has replied nicely to that one.

Quote:

Tags
block, hide, stop, to cover, veil

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: