Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Which next book? And other book questions...

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old June 07, 2016, 05:02 PM
Ruby

AlwaysLost is on a distinguished road
Which next book? And other book questions...

So I have finished Madrigals Magical Key To Spanish and currently in the middle of Living Language(Audio CD and Work Book)........ Now between the two I definitely learned more quickly with Madrigals book and I am now convinced that writing exercises in sentence form is the way to go. BUT Madrigals book is dated and some what simplistic. Living Language is great for pronunciation, and I am able to spot words more quickly when I hear them at work(with the ESL guys).

I am looking for my next book and I am trying to decide between two....
1. Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish Grammar by Gilda Nissenberg
2. Easy Spanish Step-By-Step by Barbara Bregstein

Also I have read that A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish (Volume 1) by John Butt is the best Grammar Text Book you can get, would you recommend this? I currently own the Vistas 4th edition I bought used for $12, IMO is not very good, kinda of a waste actually.

Any alternative recommendations are welcome.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 08, 2016, 08:03 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
I have a copy of the 4th edition of Butt & Benjamin's grammar: as an advanced learner, I like it a lot as a reference (a book that one consults to answer specific questions about Spanish grammar).

In my opinion, it's an excellent grammar reference.

However, it isn't designed as a text book; it doesn't have any learning exercises or suggestions about how to go about mastering language habits, it doesn't have an accompanying work book or set of audio recordings. Its best use is as a reasonably reliable authority written in English about the current RAE recommendations for what constitutes "standard Spanish".
Old June 15, 2016, 03:42 AM
Ruby

AlwaysLost is on a distinguished road
Yes, I am aware that it is meant only as a reference book. Thanks for the positive review, I got it in the mail today.

I also got Easy Spanish Step-By-Step by Barbara Bregstein. So far so good, will give a review at some point.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: