Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Pronouns exercise 7-2

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old September 05, 2011, 12:58 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Pronouns exercise 7-2

This was a translation exercise, and I only have a few quick questions. I think the answers will probably be simple.... Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!! (By the way, I think that the English sentences are not necessarily well-written to begin with....)

2) English sentence: Seventy percent of the dentists use this toothbrush, and the rest use a stick.
The book's Spanish answer: El setenta por ciento de los dentistas usan este cepillo de dientes y los demás usan un palo.
My question: A stick!? Is that some sort of cultural thing? I don't get it, in Spanish or in English....

5) English sentence: Diego likes parties. He's always the last to leave.
The book's Spanish answer: A Diego le gustan las fiestas. Siempre es el último en salir.
My question: I wrote "la última" because I was thinking that he is always the last PERSON ("persona") to leave... Is that correct also?

12) English sentence: Usually, thousands of people come to the ceremony, but this year there are obviously fewer.
The book's Spanish answer: Usualmente, miles de personas vienen a la ceremonia, pero este año hay obviamente menos.
My question: I wrote "pero este año obviamente hay menos". Is that okay, too?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 05, 2011, 01:23 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
This was a translation exercise, and I only have a few quick questions. I think the answers will probably be simple.... Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!! (By the way, I think that the English sentences are not necessarily well-written to begin with....)

2) English sentence: Seventy percent of the dentists use this toothbrush, and the rest use a stick.
The book's Spanish answer: El setenta por ciento de los dentistas usan este cepillo de dientes y los demás usan un palo.
My question: A stick!? Is that some sort of cultural thing? I don't get it, in Spanish or in English....

I guess it's a joke...

The book's Spanish answer: A Diego le gustan las fiestas. Siempre es el último en salir.
My question: I wrote "la última" because I was thinking that he is always the last PERSON ("persona") to leave... Is that correct also?

As the last person, yes, but not as him "el último en irse es él"

12) English sentence: Usually, thousands of people come to the ceremony, but this year there are obviously fewer.
The book's Spanish answer: Usualmente, miles de personas vienen a la ceremonia, pero este año hay obviamente menos.
Old September 05, 2011, 02:22 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Just adding to Chileno's answers:

Quote:
This is a typical slogan for a commercial. The best toothbrushes are supposed to have different kinds of bristles (the more, the better, or so they say). If 30% chooses any other toothbrushes (namely those with only one kind of bristles), they're using nothing better than just a stick with no bristles.

No, it isn't. You're not talking about any person, but about DIEGO (he has a gender and even a name). And "persona" would only work if you're already talking about "personas". Besides, when talking impersonally about a group of people, one always assumes the corresponding pronoun is "ellos", unless stated otherwise.
·De todas las personas a quienes les gustan las fiestas, ésa siempre es la última en salir.
·A esas personas les gustan las fiestas. Siempre son las últimas en salir.
·A esa persona le gustan las fiestas. Siempre es la última en salir.
Old September 05, 2011, 02:53 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Thank you both for your replies!! Some follow-up questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post

I guess it's a joke...

As the last person, yes, but not as him "el último en irse es él"

First of all, I wrote the book's answers, not mine. So in #2 and #5, you're telling me that the book made grammar mistakes? That in #2, it should be "usa" not "usan"? (In English, it would be plural.) And in #5, it should be "le gusta las fiestas"? I don't understand why it's not "le gustaN las fiestas". Help!!

I understand your answers to my specific questions for #2 and #5. But I don't get it for #12. You just wrote after the book's answer. Is it okay with "obviamente hay" instead of "hay obviamente"?

Thanks!!
Old September 05, 2011, 04:44 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Lou Ann: For #12 your answer is right.

As for "usa"/"usan", I agree with Chileno. Many people use the verb in plural because they are thinking about a group of persons, but the subject in the sentence is "el 70%", a singular.

And I disagree about "le gusta las fiestas" because the subject there is "las fiestas", so "le gustan".
Old September 05, 2011, 05:01 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Lou Ann: For #12 your answer is right.

Correct, I guess I put the second check mark incorrectly.

And I disagree about "le gusta las fiestas" because the subject there is "las fiestas", so "le gustan".
Oh? I thought it was Diego...

So "A Diego le gustan el pie de manzana" would be OK?

Quote:
Thank you both for your replies!! Some follow-up questions...

First of all, I wrote the book's answers, not mine. So in #2 and #5, you're telling me that the book made grammar mistakes? That in #2, it should be "usa" not "usan"? (In English, it would be plural.) And in #5, it should be "le gusta las fiestas"? I don't understand why it's not "le gustaN las fiestas". Help!!

I am sure that is how I would say those. That doesn't mean I am correct.

I understand your answers to my specific questions for #2 and #5. But I don't get it for #12. You just wrote after the book's answer. Is it okay with "obviamente hay" instead of "hay obviamente"?

Thanks!!
I placed the second check mark incorrectly. Your answer is correct too.
Old September 05, 2011, 05:13 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Oh? I thought it was Diego...

So "A Diego le gustan el pie de manzana" would be OK?
A Diego is the indirect object.
The subject is 'el pie'. This is a singular subject, so:
A Diego le gusta el pie de manzana.
Old September 06, 2011, 06:24 AM
Diamond

Angélica y Rusty:

Muchas gracias. Tienen toda la razón.

Hace mucho tiempo que no pienso en función de la gramática. Desde que salí del colegio para ser más exacto. (1971)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: