Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Why are these "Subjunctive" ?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old February 10, 2014, 09:19 PM
Ruby

Wahooka is on a distinguished road
Why are these "Subjunctive" ?

Ola todos!

I'm reading Harry Potter in Spanish, at the suggestion of one of your members.

I've come across a lot of phrases that use the subjunctive, but I'm not sure why that form is being used.

For instance:

"no habrian soportado que se supiera lo de los Potter"

and

"eran lo mas opuesto a los Dursley que se pudiera imaginar"

I thought that the subjunctive was used for phrases about doubt or a wish.

I think these examples are "imperfect subjunctive"... can someone tell me why it is used?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:09 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Hola a todos
Besides doubt and denial or wishes (verbs of volition), you have emotion, impersonal expressions, recommendations and ojalá (in the WEIRDO group).
Anything contrary-to-fact, abstract or unreal is also expressed using the subjunctive.
There are several set phrases that invoke the use of the subjunctive, as well.

The first sentence is dealing with an emotion. It's main clause verb is in the conditional, so the imperfect subjunctive must be used in the secondary clause.
The second sentence deals with an imaginary or fanciful idea (unreal). Again, the main clause contains a past tense verb, so the imperfect subjunctive appears in the secondary clause.

There's an "Accent" drop-down menu above where you type so that you can select accent marks and other special characters when writing in Spanish.

Last edited by Rusty; February 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old February 11, 2014, 12:21 PM
Ruby

Thanks Rusty!

So I'm wondering if the Imperfect Subjunctive is the exact same thing as the Past Subjunctive?

Also, some grammar books list TWO types of Imperfect Subjunctive, like type 1 and type 2... do you know why that is?
Old February 11, 2014, 04:40 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The imperfect subjunctive is the name given to what some call the past subjunctive. Don't let it bother you too much. The Spanish call it el pretérito imperfecto de subjuntivo.

The imperfect subjunctive has two forms. One ends in 'ra' and the other ends in 'se'. You can choose either one. They are completely interchangeable.
If you find that only one of the forms is favored in a certain area, follow suit.
Old February 13, 2014, 12:33 PM
Ruby

Thanks!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: