Old November 07, 2017, 03:32 AM
Desmond's Avatar
Desmond Desmond is offline
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 72
Desmond is on a distinguished road
Spanish Jug

doubt that this is a cultural question. I want to get one of those Spanish drinking jugs that comes out in a stream and you have to drink from it. What is this called. In English pref as I can buy in UK.
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 07, 2017, 11:12 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,821
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I think you may be referring to a porrón. I don't think there's an English equivalent to the word (Spanish decanter maybe). I would use porron, and good luck finding it in a store, because there probably isn't much demand for them. How do you clean them? Your best bet for purchasing it in US and probably UK is on-line.
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Old November 08, 2017, 08:20 AM
Desmond's Avatar
Desmond Desmond is offline
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 72
Desmond is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Found one.
Old November 08, 2017, 08:21 AM
Tomisimo's Avatar
Tomisimo Tomisimo is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 5,664
Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
If what you're looking for is a porrón, it looks like they are available on amazon.

As for what it's called in English, I'd just use "porron" or maybe "Spanish wine decanter"
If you find something wrong with my Spanish, please correct it!
Old November 22, 2017, 02:49 AM
explorator's Avatar
explorator explorator is offline
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Spain
Posts: 138
Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
We have at least three types of drinking jugs matching your description: the previously mentioned "porrón", generally made in glass, and used to drink wine. The second one is the so called "botijo" [bo'tixo]. It is made of clay, and traditionally used to keep water cold in summer, during agricultural work. The third one is the "bota" or "bota de vino", (wine boot) made of tanned an impermeabilized leather. It is a kind of canteen with the particularity that you have to drink from a wine jet, avoiding touching the container with your mouth, a common feature of the three types of container mentioned, what prevents the spread of diseases and improves hygiene.
Closed Thread

porron, porrón, spanish


Link to this thread
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Madrigal’s Magic Key to Spanish a great book for learning Spanish Villa Teaching and Learning Techniques 4 August 01, 2013 11:16 AM
Qué onda?!Mexican Spanish vs Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Latin America Villa Culture 6 April 08, 2010 11:50 AM
When you watch a Spanish-language movie, use Spanish, not English, subtitles Tomisimo Teaching and Learning Techniques 19 November 30, 2009 06:54 AM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.