Old July 04, 2008, 02:40 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I'm agree with you Alfonso.

Es decir Tu eres mi nube es una expresion de sentimiento o de amor, o de aprecio hacia alguien. No creo que sea algo dirigido a un idioma.
Si, ya me di cuenta de que es una expresión de sentimiento (una palabra cariñosa), pero en inglés, no lo es. Por eso digo que es una frase hecha en español.
It isn't understood as a term of endearment in English. You can't call someone a cloud and be understood.
Tendrás que elegir una de las expresiones que se entiende en inglés, como my angel.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 04, 2008, 02:47 PM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
I'm sorry, Rusty, in Spanish tú eres mi nube is not a frase hecha. Of course, you can say such a sentence, but it's not something repeated by many meaning always the same thing independently of the meaning of the words it's formed of. Not everything that sounds weird in Spanish is a frase hecha.
Old July 04, 2008, 03:05 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Estáis en las nubes, chicos.
Acabo de comerme un par de nubes, y estaban la mar de buenas. No muy de dieta...
Old July 04, 2008, 03:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Rusty, but you can to say same cloud in phrases, same in poems.

I've seen in some books, the meaning of clouds, it's is utilized mainly in poems books.

And, in Spanish the sentences ( I dream about clouds), ( You're my clouds), ( My clouds are you).

It aren't words made in
Old July 04, 2008, 03:32 PM
Diamond

Rusty, but you can to say same cloud in phrases, same in poems.

I've seen in some books, the meaning of clouds, it's is utilized mainly in poems books.

And, in Spanish the sentences ( I dream about clouds), ( You're my clouds), ( My clouds are you).

It aren't words made in Spanish, it are sentences very common, for you can demonstrate love, apreciation to somebody.

And I don't believe if, I tell to a girl, You are my clouds, she doesn't understand me.

In really the sentence is very easy, and it has much understanding.
Old July 04, 2008, 03:39 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
I'm sorry, Rusty, in Spanish tú eres mi nube is not a frase hecha. Of course, you can say such a sentence, but it's not something repeated by many meaning always the same thing independently of the meaning of the words it's formed of. Not everything that sounds weird in Spanish is a frase hecha.
It doesn't sound weird, it's just a phrase I didn't readily recognize as a term of endearment, because I would not choose to use that word in English. But in Spanish, it appears to be a term of endearment. That is why I called it a set phrase (just like my angel, cutie pie). Using that word doesn't literally mean that you think the person is a visible body of fine water droplets suspended in the atmosphere. It means something else to you.

In English, we can compare someone to the attributes we metaphorically assign to a cloud. For instance:
When I fall, you are my cloud. (You 'catch me' when I fall. You pick me up after a hardship, or you soften the blow of a failure.)
She was a cloud on a blistering day. (She was a welcome sight.)
Old July 04, 2008, 04:57 PM
Diamond

I'm understanding you, but still I believe, What the word cloud, in a phrase isn't bad or is a mistake, although I know, that a cloud isn't tangible.

At least, it are hangs very distintic in both language.

Regards.
Old July 05, 2008, 02:36 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Si, ya me di cuenta de que es una expresión de sentimiento (una palabra cariñosa), pero en inglés, no lo es. Por eso digo que es una frase hecha en español.
Tu eres mi nube no es una frase hecha en español.
Y suena rara.

No opino de la expresión equivalente en inglés: you are my cloud, pues no hablo de lo que no sé: doctores tiene la iglesia.

Tags
cloud, nube

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: