Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages


Tagalog

 

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old February 22, 2011, 03:17 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Me alegro mucho, Vita.
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #42  
Old February 25, 2011, 12:03 PM
Apalánter's Avatar
Apalánter Apalánter is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 67
Native Language: American English
Apalánter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita32 View Post
Tagalog (Pilipino) is the national language of the Philippines. Philippines has so many different dialects that it is necessary to have a national language so that Filipinos from different regions can communicate and bring unity to the nation which comprises of so many islands (big and small). Tagalog is the language spoken in Manila and surrounding area. I guess it makes sense to make Tagalog as the national language because Manila is the capital city of the Philippines at that time and the seat of the Philippine government.

Example of Tagalog Language:

Kumusta 'ka? = how are you?
Magandang umaga =good morning.
Magandang araw = good day.
Magandang gabi = good evening.

Magandang gabi po sa inyong lahat = good evening everyone.

The "po" is a polite expression usually used in formal speech or communication. It is usually omitted if the person speaking is addressing an equal, a friend or a younger person or a younger family member.

Sometimes the "po" is replaced by "ho" which is not as formal as the "po".

Ano po'ng (po ang) pangalan ninyo (mo)? What is your name?

(A) saan po kayo nakatira? = where do you live? Always put "A".

Gusto ko ang sitiong ito dahil karamihan ng miembro ay mahilig makipagkaibigan = I like this site because most of the members are friendly.

Counting in tagalog = pagbilang sa Tagalog

isa = one
dalawa = two
tatlo = three
apat = four
lima = five
anim = six
pito = seven
walo = eight
siyam = nine
sampo = ten

Bicol Dialect which is the dialect of Southern Luzon is another matter. It varies from town to town or province to province.
It is spelled: Filipino not Pilipino

PS...I speak tagalog.

Last edited by Apalánter; February 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old February 25, 2011, 12:18 PM
Apalánter's Avatar
Apalánter Apalánter is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 67
Native Language: American English
Apalánter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Bughaw. Thanks. But I can see that Tagalog is difficult.
It's not that difficult if you learn it and speak it in advance. Here is the example of Tagalog short talk:


First person: Annong pagalan mo?


Second person: Aking pagalan i Júan. Ikaw, annong pagalan mo?


First person: Ang pagalan ko i Phillip(It was pronounce there as fe-li-pe)

Hehehehe...that's all I can think of.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old February 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalánter View Post
It's not that difficult if you learn it and speak it in advance. Here is the example of Tagalog short talk:


First person: Annong pagalan mo?


Second person: Aking pagalan i Júan. Ikaw, annong pagalan mo?


First person: Ang pagalan ko i Phillip(It was pronounce there as fe-li-pe)

Hehehehe...that's all I can think of.
Do you speak Tagalog, too?

I think the words are difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old February 25, 2011, 04:52 PM
Apalánter's Avatar
Apalánter Apalánter is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 67
Native Language: American English
Apalánter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Do you speak Tagalog, too?

I think the words are difficult.
Yes, I do speak it. It's my third language.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old February 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
vita32's Avatar
vita32 vita32 is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 522
Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalánter View Post
It is spelled: Filipino not Pilipino

PS...I speak tagalog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalánter View Post
It's not that difficult if you learn it and speak it in advance. Here is the example of Tagalog short talk:


First person: Annong pagalan mo?


Second person: Aking pagalan i Júan. Ikaw, annong pagalan mo?


First person: Ang pagalan ko i Phillip(It was pronounce there as fe-li-pe)

Hehehehe...that's all I can think of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalánter View Post
Yes, I do speak it. It's my third language.
Asaan
Saan (where in English)
Nasaan(literally means "in where" in English. It is a combination of two Fililipino words "nasa" (in, in the, on, on the;"nasa" identifies where objects, people and places are to be found or placed) and "saan"(where).

Annong
anong (ano ang)

pagalan
pangalan

i
ay

Pilipino
Filipino Please note that either spelling is accepted and native Filipinos pronounce "Filipino" as "Pilipino" and therefore when writing it in the vernacular, it is spelled as "Pilipino".

Ninyo is the plural form of "mo" and also "ninyo" is used to denote respect (e.g. when talking to people whom the speaker is not very familiar or people who has seniority or higher in rank than the speaker).


Please study Tagalog grammar and spelling before you start making corrections.
__________________
To love, live and learn.

All corrections are appreciated.

Last edited by vita32; February 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old February 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
Apalánter's Avatar
Apalánter Apalánter is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 67
Native Language: American English
Apalánter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita32 View Post
Asaan
Saan (where in English)
Nasaan(literally means "in where" in English. It is a combination of two Fililipino words "nasa" (in, in the, on, on the;"nasa" identifies where objects, people and places are to be found or placed) and "saan"(where).

Annong
anong (ano ang)

pagalan
pangalan

i
ay

Pilipino
Filipino Please note that either spelling is accepted and native Filipinos pronounce "Filipino" as "Pilipino" and therefore when writing it in the vernacular, it is spelled as "Pilipino".

Ninyo is the plural form of "mo" and also "ninyo" is used to denote respect (e.g. when talking to people whom the speaker is not very familiar or people who has seniority or higher in rank than the speaker).


Please study Tagalog grammar and spelling before you start making corrections.
Thank you for the corrections Vita32. Actually, I live in the Philipines for 8 years and I'm so fluent and since I went to Korea(my origin) and migrated again to California, so I forgot a little bit of my grammar in tagalog.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old February 28, 2011, 06:46 PM
vita32's Avatar
vita32 vita32 is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 522
Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalánter View Post
Thank you for the corrections Vita32. Actually, I live in the Philipines for 8 years and I'm so fluent and since I went to Korea(my origin) and migrated again to California, so I forgot a little bit of my grammar in tagalog.
You are welcome. Sana ay maala'la mo'ng lahat nang mga salitang natutuhan mo sa Pilipinas. (I hope that you'll remember all the words that you have learned in the Philippines).

Please talk to me in Tagalog if you wish in this forum. I would like to speak the language with a tagalog speaker also.
__________________
To love, live and learn.

All corrections are appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old February 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
Apalánter's Avatar
Apalánter Apalánter is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 67
Native Language: American English
Apalánter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita32 View Post
You are welcome. Sana ay maala'la mo'ng lahat nang mga salitang natutuhan mo sa Pilipinas. (I hope that you'll remember all the words that you have learned in the Philippines).

Please talk to me in Tagalog if you wish in this forum. I would like to speak the language with a tagalog speaker also.
Salamat po, hindi po naking makaka limutan ang tagalog. Saan po kayo na bansa ikaw nakatira? nakaka salita man ikaw ng english fluent. Sorry po sa mga mali po nakin. Puede mo po (i?) correct ito.
__________________
Let your brain use you and not your mouth. -Apalánter
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old February 28, 2011, 08:12 PM
vita32's Avatar
vita32 vita32 is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 522
Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalánter View Post
Salamat po, hindi ko po (naking) makakalimutan ang tagalog. Saan po kayong (na) bansa (ikaw) nakatira? nakakapagsalita man ikaw ng english fluent. Sorry po sa mga mali ko po (nakin). Puede mo po (i?)icorrect ito?
( ) = words in parenthesis are not needed in the above.

"Nakakasalita man ikaw ng english fluent." This can be better expressed like, "nakakapagsalita din po kayo ng English, fluent". Since you have used the formal "kayo" (ikaw=informal), in the preceding phrase, it is best to keep the formal tone to the end of the conversation.

Ang sagot ko sa tanong mo:

Ako'y nakatira sa Tennessee, USA. Oo (opo). Ako'y (ako ay) nakakapagsalita ng fluent na English.

Ok lang huwag kang magala'la sa mga mali mo dahil kaya nga tayo naririto, e, upang matuto ng iba't ibang salitain.

If I want to express the above in a formal way because, for example, if you are so much older than I am, I will say:

Ang sagot ko po sa tanong ninyo:

Ako po ay nakatira sa Tennessee, USA. Opo. ako po ay nakakapagsalita ng fluent na English.

Ok lang po, huwag po kayong magala'la sa mga mali ninyo dahil kaya nga po tayo naririto, e, upang matuto ng iba't ibang salitain (salita).


__________________
To love, live and learn.

All corrections are appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark this thread at:

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tagalog (Filipino native language) VivaEspana Other Languages 54 September 21, 2014 08:38 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X