Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Saliste o ido?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old September 26, 2008, 01:59 PM
Pearl

hola is on a distinguished road
Saliste o ido?

would anybody be able to explain why if you want to say "you never should have left" you can not use the word "saliste" at the end. i thought it was "te nunca deberias saliste". that made the most sense. but why is the word "ido" used? where did that come from? and where does haber come from? i am thinking the pretirito of salir in the subjuctive is "saliste" which is the way to say "you left." but it is very confusing because you do not know which words to use and when.

and how do you say "when you left". i thought it was "cuando saliste". someone once told me that was correct but someone else said it should be "cuando fuiste". whats the truth?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 26, 2008, 02:50 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hola View Post
would anybody be able to explain why if you want to say "you never should have left" you can not use the word "saliste" at the end. i thought it was "te nunca deberias saliste". that made the most sense. but why is the word "ido" used? where did that come from? and where does haber come from? i am thinking the pretirito of salir in the subjuctive is "saliste" which is the way to say "you left." but it is very confusing because you do not know which words to use and when.

and how do you say "when you left". i thought it was "cuando saliste". someone once told me that was correct but someone else said it should be "cuando fuiste". whats the truth?
salir = to leave
saliste = you left (preterite indicative)
(salieras is the subjunctive form used when the action is in the past)

deberías haber salido = you should have left
nunca deberías haber salido = you never should have left

ir = to go
fuiste = you went (preterite indicative)
has ido = you have gone (the past participle form of ir is ido)

irse = to leave
te fuiste = you left (preterite indicative)
te has ido = you have left

cuando saliste = when you left
cuando te fuiste = when you left
cuando fuiste = when you went

Spanish verbs can be quite confusing. Find a good on-line tutorial, preferably one that gives English and Spanish examples, in order to learn more about them.
Old September 26, 2008, 04:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Look, I didn't know that, thanks for your examples.
Old September 26, 2008, 04:53 PM
Pearl

hola is on a distinguished road
wow rusty i can't believe how you can apparently know more than the native mexican crotalito i don't know if you have some kind of degree in spanish or something but you're pretty informative thank you once again for all your help. i have a question was i correct when i said that "when you left" is "cuando saliste" or did i get that wrong?
Old September 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hola View Post
wow rusty i can't believe how you can apparently know more than the native mexican crotalito i don't know if you have some kind of degree in spanish or something but you're pretty informative thank you once again for all your help. i have a question was i correct when i said that "when you left" is "cuando saliste" or did i get that wrong?
I answered that question above.
Old September 26, 2008, 09:21 PM
Diamond

Hey, only I didn't know that the word Saliste in English is translate as left, it doesn't say that I don't knew nothing about my country, please you offed me with that commentary I'm sorry if before I can't help you, and Rusty is very intelligent, I believe that he read books a lot, instead I don't read books for that sometimes I don't know some things but if again you need help, I will be glad in help you, Rusty please you don't think that my commentaries are some personal, it isn't nothing personal, anyhow you are my friend.
Old September 27, 2008, 12:04 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Hey, only I didn't know that the word Saliste in English is translate as left, it doesn't say that I don't knew nothing about my country, please you offed me with that commentary I'm sorry if before I can't help you, and Rusty is very intelligent, I believe that he read books a lot, instead I don't read books for that sometimes I don't know some things but if again you need help, I will be glad in help you, Rusty please you don't think that my commentaries are some personal, it isn't nothing personal, anyhow you are my friend.
Crotalito, what you wrote would be easier to understand with the following modifications:
Hey, I just didn't know that the word saliste is translated as left in English. I didn't say that I don't know anything about my language. Please, you've offended me with that comment. I'm sorry if I couldn't help you before. Rusty is very intelligent. I believe he reads a lot of books. I don't read books, so I don't know as many things. But, if you need help again, I will be glad to help you. Rusty, please don't think that my comments are personal in any way. They aren't. You are still my friend.

~~~

Luis, no te preocupes por lo que te digan, ni por lo que piense yo. Claro que somos amigos.

A decir verdad, no fue todo muy clarito que escribiste antes en este hilo. Te faltaron detalles que, si fueran incluidos, no habría confusión por nuestra parte.

Last edited by Rusty; September 27, 2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:50 AM
Diamond

Okis, you don't worry.
Old September 30, 2008, 03:14 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
"salir" to leave a place
"ir" to go
Usually they can be use both ways. But "salir" usually means "out of the house" and "ir" meass "going to other places"
"No salgas" don't go out (don't left)
"No te vayas" don't left
For example, if you see a comic, with a woman crying and a man leaving
If the woman says "No salgas" usually means "don't go ot to town and drink, don't left me alone"
If the woman says "No te vayas" usually means "don't go out of my life, don't left me alone"
Depending on the context you can use both verbs, but usually "salir" is a temporal thing, somewhere near, where "ir" is more "hard"

"you never should have left" "Nunca deberías haberte ido" is the nor mal translation. You can use "nunca deberías haber salido", but it' more unusual.
You can use it sayin" Nunca deberías haber salido del hospital" meaning "You never should have left the hospital" but also "Nunca deberías haberte ido del hospital". Usually you can use "ir" always, but "salir" only meaning "out of a place"

"when you left" "cuando te fuiste"
"when you left (the office)" "cuando saliste (de la oficina)"

Saludos
Old September 30, 2008, 06:00 AM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Jane will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
"salir" to leave a place
"ir" to go
Usually they can be use both ways. But "salir" usually means "out of the house" and "ir" meass "going to other places"
"No salgas" don't go out (don't left leave)
"No te vayas" don't left leave
For example, if you see a comic, with a woman crying and a man leaving
If the woman says "No salgas" usually means "don't go ot to town and drink, don't left leave me alone"
If the woman says "No te vayas" usually means "don't go out of my life, don't left leave me alone"
Depending on the context you can use both verbs, but usually "salir" is a temporal thing, somewhere near, where "ir" is more "hard"

"you never should have left" "Nunca deberías haberte ido" is the nor mal translation. You can use "nunca deberías haber salido", but it' more unusual.
You can use it sayin" Nunca deberías haber salido del hospital" meaning "You never should have left the hospital" but also "Nunca deberías haberte ido del hospital". Usually you can use "ir" always, but "salir" only meaning "out of a place"

"when you left" "cuando te fuiste"
"when you left (the office)" "cuando saliste (de la oficina)"

Saludos

Great exaplanation, BTW.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: