Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Translate to English please...

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old April 28, 2020, 11:48 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
Waitforme is on a distinguished road
Translate to English please...

Hi All - could you please help translate.....

I have looked up what Encanta means – but I have discovered it can mean many things in different many contexts.

So I will try an explain the background/ situation first:

• I have a French acquaintance, lets call her Anne - she also speaks fluent Spanish (she used to live in South America).

• It was her birthday recently and so we wished her well for the day, especially as she was not happy with the current restrictions about not going out.

• A few days later it was my birthday and Anne messaged to wish me a happy birthday & Easter and wished me a good day.

• Later that evening I replied : Thank you Anne - like yours, it was a nice but also a very different birthday. Stay safe, look after yourself and have a Happy Easter!

• 2 days later - Anne sent the following message to me by mistake (I think she meant to send it to her Spanish friend, as I don't speak Spanish) -

Le encanta "Thank you Anne - like yours, it was a nice but also a very different birthday. Look after yourself, stay safe and have a Happy Easter!"

Can somebody please explain what you think Anne means as she is quoting my message to her friend.

What is Anne saying to her Spanish friend about my message to her?

In case it makes a difference - I am male.

I would appreciate all translations and comments please - thank you.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 28, 2020, 12:21 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
'Le encanta' means 'likes'. The message that was liked appears in quotation marks.
Old April 28, 2020, 12:50 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
'Le encanta' means 'likes'. The message that was liked appears in quotation marks.
Hi and thanks - but who do you think is liking the message in this case
Old April 28, 2020, 01:27 PM
Señor Speedy

Anne liked/loved it, would be my guess. It would also be my guess that Anne was using Facebook, or some social media, and that she had selected Spanish as her viewing language. When she liked/loved the message, the media app placed the message in quotes and added 'le encanta'.

Last edited by Rusty; April 28, 2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old April 28, 2020, 01:30 PM
Opal

Quote:
Anne liked/loved it, would be my guess.
Would that not have been written as 'Me encanta'
Old April 28, 2020, 01:38 PM
Señor Speedy

You're correct to assume that, but the app developer has 'likes/loves' in English, and that translates as 'le encanta'. I don't view social media sites in Spanish, so can't be too certain, but if a friend likes/loves something I've sent to them, FB tells me that a friend 'likes/loves' the message they were sent.
Old April 29, 2020, 07:27 AM
Opal

Hi Rusty – firstly many thanks for your responses. I have a few more queries to try and get a better understanding – hope that’s ok.

My text to Anne and the text she sent by mistake to me were both via SMS texts.

So do you think she copied the words from Social Media into SMS and that’s how the quotes and wording ‘Le encanta’ originated from?

Also – I found this link http://www.visualmagnetic.com/html/f...-83-languages/

Which says Facebook uses 'Me gusta' for the like button in Spanish, based on that do you still think that a ‘liked’ comment would still possibly say ‘Le encanta’

Then I also thought – if Anne posted my message on SM – can she then like it herself and would she also get notification that she liked her own posted comment.

Hope you don’t mind me asking the – I am one of the few who don’t use facebook etc…so just want to try and understand more as the online translators were not much help with my example.

I hope all my comments above make some kind of sense to you and appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Old April 29, 2020, 07:58 AM
Señor Speedy

Yes, 'Me gusta' is the wording used for the icon in FB (viewing it in Spanish). If a user presses this icon, they then have a couple of icons they can press, like 'thumbs up' and 'love'. A user that selects 'love' has essentially said, "Me encanta'."
What we're talking about is what a person likes/loves, however. After the selection has been made (after the icon has been pressed), the originator of the message will be notified, and the message will say that the receiver loves ('Le encanta') the message they received.

I don't know the answer to the question you've asked about SMS texts.
Old April 29, 2020, 08:32 AM
Opal

Quote:
Yes, 'Me gusta' is the wording used for the icon in FB (viewing it in Spanish). If a user presses this icon, they then have a couple of icons they can press, like 'thumbs up' and 'love'. A user that selects 'love' has essentially said, "Me encanta'."
What we're talking about is what a person likes/loves, however. After the selection has been made (after the icon has been pressed), the originator of the message will be notified, and the message will say that the receiver loves ('Le encanta') the message they received.

I don't know the answer to the question you've asked about SMS texts.
Thanks –just to clarify – would that then mean that Anne may have posted my message on FB for example – and it was someone else who read it and liked it rather than Anne liking it.
Old April 29, 2020, 08:58 AM
Señor Speedy

Perhaps. In FB, you see a little 'thumbs up' or 'loves' icon when someone has pressed the icons I mentioned. You don't see any message formulated like the one in your original post. So, I don't know the source of that message. It looks like it could be an SMS version of the text, though, and if so, it's a notification of sorts, since it is prefixed with 'Le encanta'. It would read that way whether it was Anne or not, who loved it. But, since you know this came from Anne (or so I suppose), it was she that loved it. She is a third-person. That's why the third-person indirect object pronoun 'le' appears in front of the message.

While addressing someone, in first-person, we say, "Me gusta/encanta el mensaje que me enviaste (the message you sent me)". But if you are being notified that someone said this, you would receive it in third-person form: "Le gusta/encanta el mensaje que le envió".

I believe you're are being notified. Anne isn't responding to the message. The notification was computer-generated, and third-person is the proper way to render a notification.
If Anne were responding, you'd be reading a newly composed message, not a repeat of what she received.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: