Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

To know the score

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old July 05, 2010, 09:00 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
To know the score

In Tomísimo, (idioms section) Rusty explains its meaning,
To be well-informed. To be aware of the situation. To be on top of things.
One translation I give is 'saber lo que vale un peine'. Yet, my translation is a little bit too colloquial, and/or has a connotation of 'challenge' and/or 'threat', to some degree.
Anyone have a better translation into Spanish?
Estar bien informado. Ser consciente de la situación. Estar al tanto [de las cosas], are already known options that are valid... What I am looking for is more in the realm of an idiomatic expression, which is an idiom, but with a higher register than "saber lo que vale un peine"... on the lines of "saber lo que te haces" "saber de qué va la historia" "saberte la partitura"
Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 05, 2010, 10:11 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for trying to provide suitable translations of idiomatic expressions in the Idioms Dictionary. I added a lot of idioms that may need reviewed for accuracy, or Spanish equivalents. Some may be outright wrong.

A friendly word to all who might want to add or correct idioms:
Please make sure your addition is an idiom (the whole phrase having a meaning that the individual words cannot possibly convey), and please convert the phrase to a 'standardized' format.

For instance, "To check one's ticker," is the standardized format of "Check your ticker," or "Checked his ticker?" When we say, "He kicked the bucket," the standard format of the phrase is "To kick the bucket." Other examples:
"To give somebody the creeps" instead of "He gives me the creeps."
"Tomarle el pelo a alguien" instead of "Ellos me tomaron el pelo." ("To pull somebody's leg," instead of "They pulled my leg.")

Carefully select which language the idiom is in when you're adding a new one, and make sure the translation you give is either an equivalent idiom in the other language, or mark it as 'a translation only' if you don't think there's an equivalent phrase. Use the comments section for any and all information that may help another member to provide a suitable translation, if you didn't give one, or provide an alternate translation.

We can have the largest repository of idioms on the internet if we all "chip in." By the way, there is no Spanish idiomatic expression listed for that entry. We only have a translation of it. Anybody have any ideas?
Old July 06, 2010, 12:31 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
[...]Anyone have a better translation into Spanish?
Estar bien informado. Ser consciente de la situación. Estar al tanto [de las cosas][...]
I can't think of anything more universal, but here are some proposals from Mexican sayings:
· Saber de qué pie (alguien) cojea.
· Saber de qué lado masca la iguana.

A more neutral one: "saber cómo está la cosa/el asunto" (also "saber cómo está la onda").
Old July 06, 2010, 01:48 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
I can't think of anything more universal, but here are some proposals from Mexican sayings:
· Saber de qué pie (alguien) cojea.
· Saber de qué lado masca la iguana.

A more neutral one: "saber cómo está la cosa/el asunto" (also "saber cómo está la onda").
Saber donde canta el gallo.

Esto es lo contrario de "escuchar cantar el gallo, y no saber donde"
Old July 06, 2010, 04:22 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
We can have the largest repository of idioms on the internet if we all "chip in." By the way, there is no Spanish idiomatic expression listed for that entry. We only have a translation of it. Anybody have any ideas?
I just added one
Old July 06, 2010, 08:56 PM
Diamond

Thank you all. Good to work with people who know the score!
Old July 07, 2010, 03:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
The phrase to know the score sound more a kind to punctuation in some kind to game or concourse.

Sincerely yours.
Old July 07, 2010, 11:07 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
The phrase 'to know the score' sounds more like a some kind of to punctuation 'record of points' in some kind of game or concourse competition/contest.

Sincerely yours.
Hello, CrOtALiTo. I fixed a few points in your post. (Ask me if any question.)
Yes, literally, you are right, but the phrase is used as an idiom, as noted before in this thread.
Old July 08, 2010, 07:05 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I feel a bit uncomfortable with "saber lo que vale un peine"... it's a regional expression (nobody I know had heard it ever before) and it's more a threat than a statement... I asked some people around and someone said "saber cómo va la tonada", but I'm afraid it's one more for the regional sayings.
Old July 08, 2010, 07:20 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
I feel a bit uncomfortable with "saber lo que vale un peine"... it's a regional expression (nobody I know had heard it ever before) and it's more a threat than a statement... I asked some people around and someone said "saber cómo va la tonada", but I'm afraid it's one more for the regional sayings.
Thank you. I agree with you. The version with 'peine' is a rather low register, although well known and used in Spain. But yes, it is not something I would use indiscriminately, and it's to a large degree, the reason I asked in the first place. The one with 'tonada' while probably regional as well, is a good option, more usable in more contexts anyhow... so thank you very much for your input and understandable concern.

Tags
score

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: