Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Can you fix these for me?

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old May 27, 2010, 07:30 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Inglés
Esperar is on a distinguished road
Can you fix these for me?

Me gustan Espanolas mujeres.

Me gustan Espanoles y el país Espana.

I'm sure these two sentences are wrong, and it's most likely because I don't understand the grammar too well yet. Feedback would be great.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 27, 2010, 07:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Me gustan las mujeres españolas.
Me gustan los españoles y su país, España.

Not bad, Esperar. In Spanish any adjective is lower case. So "Españolas" is written "españolas".
If you say "I like Spaniards and the country of Spain" I give you my option, "I like Spaniards and its country, Spain".
Does that help?
Old May 27, 2010, 08:02 AM
Pearl

Helps a lot, because sometimes I'll form a sentence using English grammar, as I wouldn't know how to form it in Spanish grammar.. Of course I need to stop this, and I'm working at it.

¿Hablas Español?

Un poco, mi español es no bueno. Lo siento.

Is that right? I'm sure it's not.

Last edited by Esperar; May 27, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:11 AM
Diamond

This is totally fine, as far as Spanish goes. (just you don't say "es no" but "no es")
As far as 'attitude', I don't think you have to be 'apologetic' about not knowing Spanish. You are trying to learn, and that is VERY POSITIVE and any Spaniard will appreciate that.
So, you could say,
Un poco, mi español no es bueno todavía [yet]. Pero estoy aprendiendo. [But I am learning].
Not trying to put words in your mouth, you can say whatever you want... but while you may feel "uncertain" talking or writing in a foreign language, the more you show your willingness to learn, the more you will learn and the more people will help you... Sure, I can put my foot in my mouth when I use the English language, but we all learn from our 'errors' or our attemps!

Last edited by JPablo; May 27, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: I missed an error in my Spanish!
Old May 27, 2010, 08:28 AM
Pearl

What's the difference between "soy" and "estoy?"

When I was last in Spain, I had to explain to someone I was sick, and said "estoy enferma." Should I have said "soy enferma" instead? Is it like para and por, but it changes on the situation?

I'm not sure.

Also, todavía means "yet" in your sentence, but can that be used in more than 1 situation like "desde" can mean both "since" and "from?"
Old May 27, 2010, 08:48 AM
Diamond

Estoy enfermo. (Your gender is masculine)

No, you don't say "soy enfermo", unless you are "chronic". I.e, you can say "Soy inglés" because that is a permanent attribute of you as a being... (and that's chronic too! joke... a bad one.)

Estoy cansado (I am tired) (a temporary condition)
Soy traductor (I am translator) (something more 'permanent')

I just give you a couple of examples. (I believe this topic has been discussed somewhere in this forum, so you can check or search for more examples.) But to keep it simple, I hope the above helps.

As fas as todavía, it means many things... I give you here a bunch of examples, (if this is too much, let me know, but I hope these examples help)
1 a still; ¿todavía estás en la cama? are you still in bed?; todavía la quiero I still love her; todavía nos falta mucho para terminar we still have a lot to do
b (in negative phrases): ¿todavía no terminaste or no has terminado? haven’t you finished yet?; ¿ya terminó la película? — todavía no. has the movie finished? — not yet; todavía no está lista she isn’t ready yet; son las siete ya y todavía no está lista it’s already seven o’clock and she still isn’t ready
2 (in comparisons) even, still; sus primos son todavía más ricos her cousins are even richer o still richer o richer still; quiere más todavía he wants even o still more
3 (familiar) still; ¡le pagan hasta el alquiler y todavía se queja! they even pay his rent and he still complains!; ¿te engañó y todavía lo defiendes? he deceived you and yet you’re defending him? o and you still defend him?; y todavía tuvo la desfachatez de echarnos la culpa and not only that, she had the nerve to blame us!, and she even had the nerve to blame us!; ¡a ver si todavía nos rebajan el sueldo! if we’re not careful they’ll end up cutting our salaries!
Well, if you check these examples and learn "todavía" really well, and make sentences of your own invention with it, we will "still" have a lot more to learn, but at least you will have this one...
Old May 27, 2010, 09:03 AM
Pearl

Haha, I'm not that fond of being English. The weather is bad, and so are the women and food!

I thought using enferma would be feminine, but wasn't sure. I'll have to read what you posted more to take it all in!
Old May 27, 2010, 10:02 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Hello,

You're doing just fine. Just keep doing it, and you'll reap the benefits of acquiring a new language.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:09 AM
Diamond

Okay! Take your time. (I realized I maybe gave you a bite to big to take, but check it out when you have some time and let me know if you have questions...) And as Chileno says, you are doing just fine... keep at it!
Best wishes!
Old May 27, 2010, 02:10 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperar View Post
Me gustan Espanolas mujeres.

Me gustan Espanoles y el país Espana.

I'm sure these two sentences are wrong, and it's most likely because I don't understand the grammar too well yet. Feedback would be great.
It like so.

Me gustan las mujeres Espñolas.

Yes surely they are bad wrote.

It could works so.

Me gustan las españolas y el pais de España.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: