Old September 12, 2010, 01:51 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Yes JPablo, I understand that. I wanted to know which is the view of the (es obligatorio este the?) religion about a "sacred marriage". .

.but they can do it since long time ago to realize if it's true or no, and in antique Greece it was allowed and was quite popular, more than anything between intelligent people.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here, but whatever it is, (homo)sexuality in Ancient Greece has nothing to do with present-day homosexuality, and they most certainly never had gay marriages. It is always misunderstood, but I think that particular topic is outside the scope of this forum.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 12, 2010, 02:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I see marriage as a contract. You can be a religious person and sign this contract following religious rules. But there are civil marriages with the same validity in law.

Five years have passed here since homosexual marriages were approved here and a lot of people have married. I think if people in society demand something, laws must be adapted to the demand. That's my point of view.

Another question is the term adopted, since in Spanish "matrimonio" comes from "matrem", madre (mother) and "monium", calidad de. So, I'm not sure if the term is correct, although I'm not able to think of a term appropriate.
Old September 12, 2010, 03:01 AM
Opal

Kalmetam is on a distinguished road
As I see it, marriage is a religious matter.. not to be decided by the government.. but rather by the religion you wish to be married under..

Even if the government allows you to achieve gay marriage and you're let's say.. Catholic. God will not recognize it anyways because a marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman.

You don't need to be married to be a couple... Marriage is a ceremony to be shared by heterosexual couples who wish to undertake it... I don't know why gay people feel the need to be married if it won't even be recognized by their religion.

Last edited by Kalmetam; September 12, 2010 at 03:07 AM.
Old September 12, 2010, 03:16 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmetam View Post
. I don't know why gay people feel the need to be married if it won't even be recognized by their religion.
Sometimes there are practical reasons. There are laws which relate to married couples which do not apply for people living together. For example, pensions paid to on partner when the other dies, or residence permits in a country. Sometimes a gay couple marry just to enable them to enjoy the same benefits.
Old September 12, 2010, 03:25 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Sometimes there are practical reasons. There are laws which relate to married couples which do not apply for people living together. For example, pensions paid to on partner when the other dies, or residence permits in a country. Sometimes a gay couple marry just to enable them to enjoy the same benefits.
Maybe there should be a special relationship status for gay couples so that they do get those benefits (wow that's a great idea).. however.. I don't think marriage is the solution.. because doesn't that defeat the purpose of marriage itself?
Old September 12, 2010, 03:45 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmetam View Post
Maybe there should be a special relationship status for gay couples so that they do get those benefits (wow that's a great idea).. however.. I don't think marriage is the solution.. because doesn't that defeat the purpose of marriage itself?
Perhaps, but laws change slowly and never keep up with changes in society. There are impossible questions. For example, the standard model is a husband who works for 40 years, gets a pension, dies. The widow has a right to a widow's pension. Suppose it was a gay man, living with a male partner. Does the partner have the right to a pension? If they have lived together for 40 years, then yes. But if only 2 years? How do you prove it? At present, a marriage certificate is the only way of proving this. All very difficult questions.
Old September 12, 2010, 04:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
"The standard model of a husband......"

I don't think there is a standard model of a husband or a wife! Not anymore. Maybe a few years back. What you are describing is a situation, many years ago, where society was faced with having to deal with many "displaced homemakers"....women that had lived their lives as homemakers/moms/wives/caretakers, etc. All of a sudden they found themselves widowed, and too young to collect any type of pension either from the company the husband worked for or social security. They were lost!

Nowadays, I think you will find that that is not the norm anymore. You will find a lot of "house-husbands" that are very happy with their role in the marriage. Moms that work outside the home. Women are no longer just staying home waiting for the husband to come home with a paycheck.

It is true what they say.........Religion and politics are too controversial for discussion in a forum especially because people are so passionate about their beliefs.

My
Old September 12, 2010, 04:36 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina View Post

I don't think there is a standard model of a husband or a wife! Not anymore. Maybe a few years back. What you are describing is a situation, many years ago, where society was faced with having to deal with many "displaced homemakers"....women that had lived their lives as homemakers/moms/wives/caretakers, etc. All of a sudden they found themselves widowed, and too young to collect any type of pension either from the company the husband worked for or social security. They were lost!

Nowadays, I think you will find that that is not the norm anymore. You will find a lot of "house-husbands" that are very happy with their role in the marriage. Moms that work outside the home. Women are no longer just staying home waiting for the husband to come home with a paycheck.

It is true what they say.........Religion and politics are too controversial for
discussion in a forum especially because people are so passionate about their beliefs.

My
I know, this generation is very different!
You'll find many families with either as a working parent
In my family though, both of my parents worked...
And I have to say.. I prefer relationships in which both people work
Who says you can't raise a kid while two parents are working?
I came out great.. a generally happy kid with great grades (yes I'm still in school)
Old September 12, 2010, 04:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
Oh I think it is wonderful that both parents work although there will be "those people" who think children must be with a parent at all times. I believe children learn values, independence and ethics and the value of money when both parents work. Children are like sponges and they absorb everything that the parents do and say and act.

I agree with you! You came out great.. a generally happy kid with great grades.....

Old September 12, 2010, 04:56 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina View Post
I was referring to the model used, say 50 years ago, on which laws are still based. Problems arise because this standard model no longer exists, as you say.
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: