Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Las Posadas

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old December 14, 2008, 11:00 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Las Posadas means inns. In the article, they said it was a holiday. Either the article is wrong and you are right, or the article is actually right... :P

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 14, 2008, 01:18 PM
Emerald

Native Language: spanish
lee ying is on a distinguished road
yes, posada is inn. these ares hotel`s names: holiday inn. fiestas inn.. plaza inn.
Old December 20, 2008, 05:52 PM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
Posadas

In the sense that you are asking Posada means......asking for lodging.

A group of people get together for 9 days before Christmas and they walk around the neighborhood or their small town or community and they pray and sing. They are re-enacting Joseph and Mary's travel to Bethlehem to find a place to stay where Mary would give birth to the Baby Jesus.

On the last stop of their journey they arrive at a pre-determined house where the doors are open and everyone is allowed to come in and eat and drink and break piñatas and celebrate.

It is a very nice sight to see when they are all going to different houses, at night, with lit candles asking for "posada".

It is almost like a novena that is prayed or done for 9 days..... except this is for Christmas.

Old December 20, 2008, 06:09 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
yes yes that is what I read about I tried telling that to Crotalito.
Old December 20, 2008, 06:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Elaina, the posada, you said in your previous post, almost not is realize on my country, here on Mexico a Posada, simply is a day of party, the posada here on my country a is not necessary to do it, but either is a law of holiday, we only celebrate our Christmas day, then Jchen saids me before, what a posada is a holiday and also a law, but I don't know if the Posada in other countries or in your country being it a holiday, then you have said in your previous post above the Jesus's birth, that story is very pretty, on my country in the theaters the people does dramas above the Jesus story.

Happy Christmas.
Old December 20, 2008, 06:58 PM
Diamond

I hate to disagree with you BUT......

I have been to many, many small towns in Mexico where this is done. it may not be done in the big cities but it is still very much alive in the small, rural towns.

It is a celebration of prayer and song and then the partying begins. It is not just a party.

I am surprised at what you are saying about posadas......surely I would think you would know about them and what really happens during a posada. It is not necessary to have a posada buy many places in Mexico still have them and not only that but the tradition is brought to the U.S. by the many people that have migrated to the U.S. I have participated in a couple here in the states.
Old December 20, 2008, 07:06 PM
Diamond

Ok, you have said, in some place of my country, but only it's celebrate in small towns, but in the big cities of my country a posada is a party, it's only a party, we haven't the habit to do religious posadas. I'm sorry.
Old December 20, 2008, 07:58 PM
Diamond

Would you consider Guadalajara a small or big town?

The last posada I attended was in Guadalajara, it was religious, there was song, prayers and yes, a party afterwards. The reason I say it was religious is because they had a "live" San Jose, a "live" Virgin Mary and a "live" donkey which are all biblical representations.

I can understand you personally not having one or going to a religious one but the original idea for the Posada was a religious one and I think it is still done countrywide in Mexico.

Old December 20, 2008, 08:16 PM
Diamond

Yes, I guess that, well, there are people with their culture, but anyhow, we always decide the what each person wants or needs to does for this Christmas.
Old December 21, 2008, 01:43 AM
Diamond

The city of Guadalajara is a city very big, and well, you know exist a lot people in this planet that they have differents cultures, if you were to Guadalajara is ok, but on my state is very hard that the people celebrete the Posada as a holiday or as saids Jchen, the Posada is a holiday, here on my state or my island, we have the habit of to do our party named posada, but it mostly is made for the employed of any company or family, but the posada is not necessary, then I don't know your view point above this thread but, I respect each opinion of the people.

Good night.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: