Old March 31, 2014, 02:30 PM
Opal

fox11sevens is on a distinguished road
How do I live and learn Spanish abroad?

I am craving every day to live and study Spanish abroad but I just don't know how to make it happen. I just finished college and am in debt. I'm working to pay off my school debts right now but I'm already 26 and am thinking that maybe my time for living abroad is over because I need to start thinking about beginning my life, saving for a house, car, etc...
I see so many other people saying that they've lived abroad for a year or 2 or even 3 years! How is this possible if your not swimming in money?
What are my options? How do I live my dream?

My goal in life is to become quad-lingual. I want to know 4 different languages fluently and I've been trying to learn Spanish on my own for a year now and I feel like I've made very little progress.

I have a strong passion for this and if anyone can help me, please let me know what I can do...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:09 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Rather than spending lots of money on courses in other countries, do some research to find out if there are any Spanish courses available to you locally. Junior colleges offer courses, and if you live in a big city there is a good chance that they have a branch of the Cervantes Institute which offers classes in language as well as cultural activities. Dedicate yourself to communicating in Spanish, and over time you will communicate. The USA, at least the part I know, is bilingual. At work there is almost always a Spanish speaker, and you can speak with them in Spanish. Most foreign language speakers see an effort to communicate with them in their language as a friendly gesture, and you learn better that way. Once you gain some confidence, you can travel to places like Mexico or Puerto Rico and communicate with waiters and taxi cab drivers with ease. If you are still motivated to learn more, and find that you have little opportunity to speak Spanish in your community, then, perhaps, courses abroad make sense, but they are not essential for learning.
Old March 31, 2014, 09:38 PM
Opal

fox11sevens is on a distinguished road
Learning locally is a slow and tedious process. What I really want is to surround myself with culture and language and start living out of the norm. I want new experiences and to meet the locals of the countries and find out how they live, what they do, how things work.
I want more than just to learn a new language. I want to live it.

My questions are:
What are my avenues to make that possible?
What are most people doing while living aboard?
What kinds of jobs can people in the western world get while living in Europe or South America?
What can I do, step by step, to start making things possible?

I'm looking for enlightenment and for education!
Old April 01, 2014, 01:37 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Come to Madrid and work for the community of Madrid as an English teacher, they need native speakers, they don, t pay a lot but enough to live on. That way you, ll learn in situ and have fun at the same time.
Old April 02, 2014, 06:49 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Hello fox11sevens, I applaud your motivation and your awareness that the language encompasses more than mere words. Your questions are too broad for me to answer but I urge you not to discount poli's suggestion about making the most of opportunities here and now. The US really is a bilingual country, and becoming more so every year. Travel will be available in its own good time. Good Luck to you!

Last edited by Glen; April 02, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old May 22, 2014, 07:55 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Hola Fox. I lived in Italy and then went back to school there on a scholarshipe from the Los
Angeles, California Italian consolate. I got a scholarship grant and went to school in Mexico
taking advanced Spanish conversation, Mexican history and Mexican literature.
I lived with a Mexican family that only spoke Spanish. I've been to to France 4
times. Also went to two French churches here in California where the preachers
gave the sermon all in French. So I learned Italian, Spanish and French. Portuguese
I learned from my Brazilian students when I taught ESL classes to adults.
Once you know one Latin based language the others are easy to learn so learn
Spanish well and you'll have a basic idea of Italian, Portuguese and French.
Italian is like a bridge between Spanish and French. Portuguese is a bit of a mix
of Spanish, Italian and French.

Last edited by Villa; May 22, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:46 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
Hanita is on a distinguished road
Have you thought about doing a scientific summer?
In the world there are many countries does it.

google traductor helped me to write this...

English:

Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto

Spanish:

Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto

pero hay que tener en cuenta que los seres humanos gastamos dinero fácilmente or naturaleza(?)

Saludos/ regards!
Old May 22, 2014, 01:10 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox11sevens View Post
I am craving every day to live and study Spanish abroad but I just don't know how to make it happen. I just finished college and am in debt. I'm working to pay off my school debts right now but I'm already 26 and am thinking that maybe my time for living abroad is over because I need to start thinking about beginning my life, saving for a house, car, etc...
I see so many other people saying that they've lived abroad for a year or 2 or even 3 years! How is this possible if your not swimming in money?
What are my options? How do I live my dream?

My goal in life is to become quad-lingual. I want to know 4 different languages fluently and I've been trying to learn Spanish on my own for a year now and I feel like I've made very little progress.

I have a strong passion for this and if anyone can help me, please let me know what I can do...

You don't need to dream the you want to do in the life if you want to move other place, you can do it without planning a lot, I got move into my same country for example, I change my house for other in the Yucatan State, I'm living here since four years, in the beginning it was hard for me, because you need to make great change in your radical live when you are conform with a life that always you have had it.

But you must to think the great changes are for a great new life, I have family three children, I'm a Computer Engineer, I had to move me of residence, because in the city I was the life is so hard with the violence all the days in the insecurity too.

But well when I arrives to city where I'm nowadays I need to start everything again and always, I was wondering myself and which ones will be the next step in my life, I would to do now, what will be my new form to earn me the life, where I should to work or get a job.

All the was resulted thinking in new ideas, I made a investigations between the people around me what kind to things or services they need, and I when I found the need of the people, I set me to work making possible a new business for me, I became a ISP Provider in my city, I sell my beach's house for invert in my new company, yes you say, you had money for do that possible, well simply you need to think in new methods for make money, because if you don't make the possible for change your style life always you will be in the same until the day you die rueful to never you did nothing for yourself.

Always you think yourself, I mercy more than now and all I have just now, I can increase itself with my work my handy work.

I hope you can get everything to you want it

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: