Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Frases de "Dinero y Conciencia"

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old February 20, 2010, 01:38 AM
Pearl

Native Language: inglés/ British English
Here4good is on a distinguished road
Frases de "Dinero y Conciencia"

I'm reading a (Spanish) book that has some highlighted phrases that I've been trying to translate. Could sb have a look at them??

1. Hay que preguntarse, a costa de qué o de quién se obtienen los beneficios.

You have to ask yourself who or what does it cost to get (the) profit.

2. Para que las cosas cambien, es necesaria una mayor preocupación por el impacto de nuestras acciones sobre la Humanidad y la Naturaleza de la que formamos parte.

To make things change/ a greater concern is needed
In order for a change to take place/ we need to display a greater concern/ for the impact that our actions have on the Humanity and the Nature that we are part of.

3. Si milliones de personas en todo el mundo no queremos las guerras, ¿cómo es posible que las guerras continúen de forma inexorable, y seamos impotentes para detenerlas?

If millions of people all over the world don't want wars, how is it that wars continue to take place inexorably and we are powerless to halt them?

PD. El libro se llama Dinero y conciencia ¿A Quién sirve mi dinero? de Joan Antoni Melé Recien publicado en España

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 20, 2010, 05:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4good View Post
I'm reading a (Spanish) book that has some highlighted phrases that I've been trying to translate. Could sb have a look at them??

2. Para que las cosas cambien, es necesaria una mayor preocupación por el impacto de nuestras acciones sobre la Humanidad y la Naturaleza de la que formamos parte.

In order for a change to take place/ we need to display a greater concern/ for the impact that our actions have on the Humanity and the Nature that we are part of.

3. Si milliones de personas en todo el mundo no queremos las guerras, ¿cómo es posible que las guerras continúen de forma inexorable, y seamos impotentes para detenerlas?

If millions of people all over the world don't want wars, how is it that wars continue to take place inexorably and we are powerless to halt them?

PD. El libro se llama Dinero y conciencia ¿A Quién sirve mi dinero? de Joan Antoni Melé Recien publicado en España
No soy una hablante natural pero, me parece buena esa traducción
Old February 20, 2010, 07:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You have to ask yourself, at what or whose cost benefits are obtained.

For things to change a greater concern is needed because of the impact of our actions over Humanity and nature that/of which we are part of.

If millions of people all over the world don't want wars, how is it possible that wars continue to take place inexorably and we are powerless to halt them?

Are you translating for money?
Old February 20, 2010, 11:36 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Are you translating for money?
Interesting comments. Thanks for having a look.
I do do a little translation, but it's so badly paid... If I only did translating I wouldn't have to think about Dinero y conciencia cos the money would just about go round feeding the family and little else!
Also I do short texts and not books, so this translating is for "pleasure", not money

Last edited by Here4good; February 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old February 20, 2010, 12:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Difícil. Hace falta más contexto para estar seguro, pues "de quién" podría referirse a quien paga el precio (en el sentido de ser quien sufre una bajada en sus bienes) o quien es el precio (en el sentido de vivir y morir en esclavitud, sea de verdad o esclavitud económica que le exige trabajar en condiciones horrorosas para ganar algunos céntimos).

Quote:
Discrepo un poco contigo y con chileno.

In order for things to change there needs to be a greater concern for the impact of our actions on humanity and on the nature we are part of.

En particular, me parece mejor poner "humanity" sin artículo y "nature" con.
Old February 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Interesting comments. Thanks for having a look.
I do do a little translation, but it's so badly paid... If I only did translating I wouldn't have to think about Dinero y conciencia cos the money would just about go round feeding the family and little else!
Also I do short texts and not books, so this translating is for "pleasure", not money
I gathered that much. I made the question because in another of your replies you said it was best to translate to Spanish.
Old February 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post

Referring to:Hay que preguntarse, a costa de qué o de quién se obtienen los beneficios.
Difícil. Hace falta más contexto para estar seguro, pues "de quién" podría referirse a quien paga el precio (en el sentido de ser quien sufre una bajada en sus bienes) o quien es el precio (en el sentido de vivir y morir en esclavitud, sea de verdad o esclavitud económica que le exige trabajar en condiciones horrorosas para ganar algunos céntimos).

There is no more context. These are phrases that are scattered throughout the text in little boxes to make them stand out. The context is the book itself which is talking about ethical banking and things that should be taken into account when investing your money ie does the bank invest in arms and tobacco or ecological farming and social projects. Therefore i like the way chileno has expressed it.

Discrepo un poco contigo y con chileno.

In order for things to change there needs to be a greater concern for the impact of our actions on humanity and on the nature we are part of.

En particular, me parece mejor poner "humanity" sin artículo y "nature" con.

Here, I don't know and the doubt you have about using the article are the same doubts that I had
Many thanks for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I gathered that much. I made the question because in another of your replies you said it was best to translate to Spanish.
I know that you were refering to another post I made!
However I didn't say that it was best to translate to Spanish!!

Last edited by Rusty; February 20, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old February 21, 2010, 12:48 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here, I don't know and the doubt you have about using the article are the same doubts that I had
My only doubt is that my preference is universally true among native English speakers. In my dialect humanity must go without article and nature with because the former is unqualified and the latter is not.
Old February 21, 2010, 02:46 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
My only doubt is that my preference is universally true among native English speakers. In my dialect humanity must go without article and nature with because the former is unqualified and the latter is not.
Sorry, I'm not following you here...

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: