Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

One sentence from a video

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old February 20, 2010, 01:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question One sentence from a video

I have mentioned that I am using videos from http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html to help me with my listening comprehension. Most of the videos come with a Spanish transcription, and an English translation.

In the video I've just been listening to, about purchasing clothing, the following were given for the last sentence given by the speaker as the Spanish transcription and the English translation:

Spanish: Nadie le va a dar un premio por pasar un examen, pero comprarse un regalito a ninguna persona le viene mal, ¿no?

English: No one is going to give you a reward for passing an exam, but buying yourself a gift, who doesn't like that, right?

I get the first part, I'm not so sure I follow.
- "comprarse"? Does using "se" with "comprar" make it something that one does to oneself? So if I buy myself a gift, I say "me compro un regalo"? Etc.?
- "a nunguna person le viene mal"?? This is the part that I really don't get. Does that really translate to (roughly) "who doesn't like that"?

Thanks!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 20, 2010, 03:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I have mentioned that I am using videos from http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html to help me with my listening comprehension. Most of the videos come with a Spanish transcription, and an English translation.

In the video I've just been listening to, about purchasing clothing, the following were given for the last sentence given by the speaker as the Spanish transcription and the English translation:

Spanish: Nadie le va a dar un premio por pasar un examen, pero comprarse un regalito a ninguna persona le viene mal, ¿no?

English: No one is going to give you a reward for passing an exam, but buying yourself a gift, who doesn't like that, right?

I get the first part, I'm not so sure I follow.
- "comprarse"? Does using "se" with "comprar" make it something that one does to oneself? So if I buy myself a gift, I say "me compro un regalo"? Etc.?
- "a nunguna person le viene mal"?? This is the part that I really don't get. Does that really translate to (roughly) "who doesn't like that"?

Thanks!
Hola laepelba , con tu pregunta sobre venir mal + un objeto indirecto creo que es así
Me viene bien recibir mucha nueva gente - It suits me well to go out and meet new people
Te viene bien hablar en el español y mudarte al Ecuador - it suits you well to speak spanish andmove to Ecuador
A los gatitos les vienen mal jugar los perros grandes - IT doesn´t suit the kittens to play with those big dogs.

Un poquito más de aquí http://spanish.about.com/od/usingpar...bs/a/venir.htm
Quote:
Especially when used with bien or mal, venir can be used to indicate suitability:
  • No ser muy famoso me viene bien. Not being very famous is fine with me.
  • A ningún país le viene mal la globalización. Globalization doesn't serve any country well.
  • Al libro le venía bien la promoción. The promotion was good for the book.
Y creo que es buena tu traducción
Old February 21, 2010, 12:43 AM
Diamond

Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thanks!
Looks like litotes to me. I'd understand it literally as it doesn't suit nobody = it does suit everybody = more or less what you said.
Old February 21, 2010, 04:32 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Looks like litotes to me.
"litotes"??

Quote:
I'd understand it literally as it doesn't suit nobody = it does suit everybody = more or less what you said.
Spanish and double negatives. Another thing on my list to try to figure out.... Sometimes the two negatives negate each other, sometimes they emphasize the negative meaning.......

So basically what Bob said about "venirse + bien/mal" has to do with suiting or not suiting one.
Old February 21, 2010, 04:44 AM
Diamond

Quote:
"litotes"??
A figure of speech in which an affirmative is expressed as the negative of the contrary.

If you taste something and you say "Hmmm - that's not bad", you really mean "that's good".

So that's bad for nobody = that's good for everybody but this seems tricky in Spanish because a double negative is hardly ever a positive. Unmathematical.
Old February 21, 2010, 04:52 AM
Diamond

Quote:
A figure of speech in which an affirmative is expressed as the negative of the contrary.
Interesting. Litotes (En) lítotes (Sp). Take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litotes - Thanks, P, you "learned" me a new word this morning!

Quote:
If you taste something and you say "Hmmm - that's not bad", you really mean "that's good".

So that's bad for nobody = that's good for everybody but this seems tricky in Spanish because a double negative is hardly ever a positive. Unmathematical.
Well, in some ways unmathematical, but you can always have ~(~A). I teach mostly beginning Algebra. My students often struggle with what to do with "-x" when "x<0". I have run out of ways to explain it to them, because it is SO obvious to me......
Old February 21, 2010, 05:27 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Bob and Perikles are correct.

"a ninguna persona le viene mal" means that is not unsuitable to anyone, it isn't unwelcome by anyone.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:51 AM
Diamond

Quote:
- Thanks, P, you "learned" me a new word this morning!
You are welcome. The word is not unknown () to crossword compilers, because it is an anagram of toilets, with plenty of scope for baffling clues.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sí. Pero es un poco complicado, porque comprar + objeto directo + objeto indirecto puede significar dos cosas distintas: el objeto indirecto puede ser la persona para quien compras el objeto directo, o la persona de quien la compras. Me parece que en general se puede deducir del contexto de cuál se trata, pero si alguien tiene algunas normas para estar seguro me gustaría saberlas.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:20 AM
Diamond

bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are welcome. The word is not unknown () to crossword compilers, because it is an anagram of toilets, with plenty of scope for baffling clues.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: