Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Ser, Estar, AR, ER, IR

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old January 27, 2009, 02:05 PM
Opal

DaveG is on a distinguished road
Ser, Estar, AR, ER, IR

I am just starting to learn spanish and already having a tough time. What is all this Verb stuff in laymen terms? I mean Ser verb Yo Soy = "I AM" but Estar verb Estoy = "I AM" as well and what about these AR,ER and IR verbs?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Firstly, I bid you welcome.

Now it come the explication above your question.

Ser- To be
Estar- Are, Is first person and second person also in third person.

The endings Ar, Er, Ir, they only are endings of verbs or words, for example, eat (Comer), Go (Ir), To be (Estar).

I hope you can understand me.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:37 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
As an English speaker learning Spanish, Dave, I also say "welcome!" o, "Bienvenido!" You will find the people here to be EXTREMELY helpful, patient, and SOOOOooo encouraging!!

It has helped me to understand that the verb "ser" typically indicates a more permanent condition. Like "Yo soy de Buffalo, New York." It means that I am from Buffalo, NY - which can never change. It's a permanent thing about me.

But "estar" is a temporary thing. For example, "Yo estoy leyendo un libro." It means that I am reading a book. I obviously don't have a book surgically attached to my hand. I am only reading it right now. So it's temporary.

I think that it's a bit confusing to learn ser & estar at first. There are also very many idiomatic usages that will creep in. Keep learning, keep practicing, keep ASKING questions!

I'll let the grammarians answer the "-ar", "-er" and "-ir" question. The verb conjugations really knock me out!
Old January 27, 2009, 02:55 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
The Tomísimo dictionary gives presents the verb in question in all its forms. Just pick a verb, look it up, and you will see how much the dicionary will help.
Old January 27, 2009, 03:07 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Good done laepelba, you have explained him very well, keep improving your Spanish.
Old January 27, 2009, 03:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
I'm having a BLAST learning it, Crotalito!
Old January 27, 2009, 03:34 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
This thread tells you all you need to know about when to use SER and ESTAR. Because this question comes up so often, you'll find this post pinned to the top of the grammar forum (it'll always be on top).

The three classes of verbs are just that - three different types of verbs. Each type of verb has its own conjugation rules. Many chapters can be written about verb conjugation, so do yourself a favor - take everything one bite at a time! Eventually, it'll all make sense.
Most people choose HABLAR, COMER and VIVIR as a model for each verb type. They then learn how to conjugate each type into the present tense (the -AR ending is stripped off and a person-appropriate ending is added; the -ER ending is stripped off and a person-appropriate ending is added; the -IR ending is stripped off and a person-appropriate ending is added). Then they tackle another tense. And on it goes.

SER and ESTAR are irregular verbs, as far as conjugation goes, but are still classified by their ending (-ER and -AR). Adding another irregular verb to the list, IR, you've now got a model from each verb class (-AR, -ER- and -IR). Because these verbs are irregular, they deviate from the simpler rules the regular verbs 'enjoy'. I suggest you start with the regular verbs I listed above first. Tackle the irregular verbs only after you've got a handle on the regular verbs.

Last edited by Rusty; January 27, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 07:11 AM
Opal

Great!!!! Thanks to all and thanks to laepelba from your expanation I got it... estar = Sick, walking, drinking and so on Ser = Arm, Leg, Building, Work and so on.....

Now I am still confused on the IR,ER and AR thing but will study it

Thanks All!!!!!
Old January 28, 2009, 08:31 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Welcome, Dave. what don't you understand about the verb endings? I will try to help you
Old January 28, 2009, 09:42 AM
Opal

I understand the stem and how to add the ending but I am confused on what ending (ir,er or ar) to use. Take "You Work" = trabajas the "-as" is because it is "you" so tu trabjas can it not be trabajes as well??? tu trabjes??
Why or why not??? I just don't know when to change the stem to ir,er or ar

Thanks

Tags
estar, ser, ser vs estar

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: