Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Barcelona - Spanish?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old March 28, 2012, 10:17 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English/Ingles
satchrocks is on a distinguished road
Barcelona - Spanish?

I've heard varying things about languages in Barcelona; from what I understand, Catalan is preferred, but Spanish is taught in schools. Is this right? Also:

Does anyone know any idiomatic Spanish phrases specific to the Catalan region that might be useful in traveling there?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchrocks View Post
I've heard varying things about languages in Barcelona; from what I understand, Catalan is preferred, but Spanish is taught in schools. Is this right? Also:

Does anyone know any idiomatic Spanish phrases specific to the Catalan region that might be useful in traveling there?
Tancat means cerrado.
Sortida means salida.

When I visited, I found everyone I encountered spoke Castillian, much
the way almost everyone in Montreal speaks English. I have heard that communities outside of Barcelona are less inclined to speak Castillian.
I believe, in school, courses are taught predominantly in Catalán. Much of the language is easy to translate to Castillian.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchrocks View Post
From what I understand, Catalan is preferred, but Spanish is taught in schools. Is this right?
Spanish is taught as a subject, but is not the vehicle of instruction for other subjects.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
That might be the case in Valencia pjt, but in Barcelona, Girona, Lleida and Tarragona I think you'll find almost education is conducted in catalá. In fact in all local authority business catalá is the default language unless you request castellano.
Old March 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
I think you missed the word "not".
Old August 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
Ruby

Native Language: European Spanish
Esppiral is on a distinguished road
I'm from Barcelona I'm bilingual (native spanish-catalan) and I can ensure you EVERYONE speaks spanish, and everyone will understand you if you talk in spanish to them, you don't need to learn catalan.

It would be usefull if you visit isolated towns far away from the capital, where the population is not used to speak in spanish.
Old August 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I agree with Esppiral.
There has been a pendulum swing in terms of "linguistic policy". Franco forbade the usage of Catalonian, but even in his life, Catalonian started to get used in Church and became widely used... even though it was repressed, and far from being officially promoted. When he died, after few years, Catalan was enforced all over the place in Catalunya...

My dad, (a Manchego in Barcelona for many decades) when visiting some farmer, he would tell him: "Parli, parli catalá, que l'entenc perfectament"... although these were the only Catalan words he could actually utter, with a Manchego accent beyond belief... At any rate, he understands Catalán pretty well...

When I go to Barcelona and speak catalán, I have no problem, except my occasional interjection of some English words (you know?) or some Gallicism... je ne sais quoi..., comme il faut!
Old November 03, 2012, 06:04 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Interesting story about Catalan is my brother-in-law's father was from Barcelona and spoke both Spanish and Catalan. He told us that when he moved and immigrated to the east coast of the U.S. he got a job in an Italian restuarant. Said he could communicate with the Italians right away. They said, "look a long lost cousin." Catalan is similar to Italian, French and of course Spanish. Also there is a town on the Italian island of Sardegna that speaks Catalan. This is from the time when Sardegna was controlled by Catalan.

Last edited by Villa; November 03, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old November 03, 2012, 06:37 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
That's right...
Interestingly enough, phonetically speaking Catalan or Catalonian is closer to Italian than to Spanish Castilian... (even closer to Portuguese, than to Castilian)...
It's a nice language, I love listening Radio4 (RNE).
Old November 04, 2012, 01:07 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
That's right...
Interestingly enough, phonetically speaking Catalan or Catalonian is closer to Italian than to Spanish Castilian... (even closer to Portuguese, than to Castilian)...
It's a nice language, I love listening Radio4 (RNE).
Hola Pablo. Així que parlar català molt bé aleshores? El pare del meu germà-en-llei em va ensenyar alguns català. He conegut a tota la família. Ells viuen a la Florida. Són persones molt agradables. Vostè m'entén?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: