Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

You're helping and you don't even know it :)

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old June 09, 2010, 08:33 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
LibraryLady is on a distinguished road
You're helping and you don't even know it :)

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say that many times I've started to post questions, and then in the process of typing out the question and making myself understood I come to the answer without ever posting. So you guys have been helping me without even knowing it ¡Gracias!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 09, 2010, 11:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
¡Fantástico! ¡Gracias! (Me doy por aludido)
Old June 10, 2010, 01:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
It great then.

You're welcome.
Old June 10, 2010, 05:24 AM
Emerald

Native Language: english
hermit is on a distinguished road
Quite right - the process of editing/posting is so exacting; makes one
very demanding of oneself...great workout.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:26 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Tarential is on a distinguished road
I must admit this is one of the very reasons I have so few posts. I begin to post something and think "I'll do it in Spanish for practice." Then in order to post the question in Spanish I must be able to coherently compose such an idea in Spanish. By the time I have looked up how to do that, the answer is usually clear to me already.

Also, another way everyone here is helping "without knowing it" is, for example, when other people post questions/answers about things. I like to browse through and see the answers so I'll know it if I ever encounter the same problem. Often times I will further research answers given to see why they are the way they are.

Just today I learned what "non-finite verbs" are (in terms of English language) in their three categories of infinitives, gerunds and participles. Not being an English major and not ever having paid attention in English class, I was well aware of the usage of these principles without being aware of their technicalities and nomenclature. I only learned this because of someone else making a mistake in using the participle form of "escribir" where the preterit form should have been (at least to my understanding now). It sparked my interest because I thought it was wrong but I couldn't put my finger on exactly why, so I looked it up.

Anyway, thank you all for your continual help in both asking and answering questions.
Old June 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Hello.

Just I want to give you my own point of view refer to your commentary.
Maybe you could to have reason in that you are telling us about the way that you learn the language.

There're a lot of ways to learn the language in miles of ways in understand the same phrase in both languages, but I don't believe that everyone have the capacity to do the same than you.

For instance here in my country if you come a English school while you try to learn the language, the grammatic and the nomenclature that you told us before, it taught of different way.

But you're right, the practice become the teacher.
Old June 12, 2010, 05:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarential View Post
I must admit this is one of the very reasons I have so few posts. I begin to post something and think "I'll do it in Spanish for practice." Then in order to post the question in Spanish I must be able to coherently compose such an idea in Spanish. By the time I have looked up how to do that, the answer is usually clear to me already.
That's why I recommend you write first what you are going to say in English, and then make your try in Spanish. It is hard enough as it is, and you are imposing yourself the task of "thinking" in Spanish without having the slightest idea of how to do it. Same thing happens to Spanish people.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: