Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things


Learning a Spanish Accent

 

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old December 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
Oops. I didn't mean to start a debate I promise. I meant nothing bad when I said I had a neighbor who is Mexican. I may have been able to word that better


Well, is your friend a Mexican or an American.
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #22  
Old December 22, 2011, 04:18 AM
aleCcowaN's Avatar
aleCcowaN aleCcowaN is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 2,913
Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Not sure what you are talking about, but, since you mentioned you are trying to get the Italian citizenship, and here I am assuming, I take it you have an Italian surname.
No. Cowan is my surname. And Alec what my family use to call me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I bet some people in Argentina, friends and others would call you "tano" (Italian) even though you were born in Argentina.
That never happened and it's unlikely for it to happen. I don't have the lookings nor the habits of a "tano".

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Well, are you Italian or are you Argentinian? You cannot be both.
What would have to do "having a citizenship" with "being" something. I can be as Italian as you can be 'American(USian)'. Nor more, nor less.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
When you say the rest of America, you're talking about the continent, clearly.

Estado unidense, is indeed clunky, moreover, it is wrong because Mexican could be called estado unidenses too, since there is that "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" in the name of their country.

Norteamericano isn't a choice either, since Canada and Mexico co-exist with America, in America (the continent)

OK, I'll lay it off now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I'm sure I've written something similar to this before but most natives of the USA do not refer to themselves as Americans because of Teddy Roosevelt's or Monroe's expansionist visions, but because of a lack of a good easy way of saying it any other way. There is no term United Statesians. As of yet we have little other choice. When US citizens call themselves Americans, it may sound jingoistic(although some are) to the rest of America, but it's used mainly because of a lack of a better term. Of course in Spanish you may say estado unidense, but that sounds very clunky to me too. I use it nevertheless.
I understand but those still look as explanations after the fact, not a real causation, and very far from being justified. It just looks as "we chose a horrible name for our country; let's enslave a demonym"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
Oops. I didn't mean to start a debate I promise. I meant nothing bad when I said I had a neighbor who is Mexican. I may have been able to word that better
Don't worry. It wasn't you. One both advantage and demand of learning a foreign language is that you must be aware of the prejudices hardcoded in your language and change them by the prejudices within the new one. This debate is just for that sake and it's a positive one as it fosters personal growth that is one of the more important side effects of leaning languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Italy isn't good either Alec, but at least they got rid of Il Cavaliere. In English we often say the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. From what I've seen, Argentina has a good standard of living.
It's not the economy. Economy goes well everywhere. It's the increasingly authoritarian ambience together with the social disorder and disruption that is sold as "democracy" and "tolerance". Just to start, government confiscated my retirement funds by law, retirement funds that I was forced by law to finance. I'm not good at the Continental China model -political and economical- that is developing here, specially when they may kill you in the streets and public transportation is a nightmare -what I don't think it's happening in China-. I'm not selling my rights and freedom for money, as many seem to do here.
__________________
[gone]
¡Jorbáis! Me fui en busca de mejores puertos.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old December 22, 2011, 06:37 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
No. Cowan is my surname. And Alec what my family use to call me.



That never happened and it's unlikely for it to happen. I don't have the lookings nor the habits of a "tano".


What would have to do "having a citizenship" with "being" something. I can be as Italian as you can be 'American(USian)'. Nor more, nor less.
I see, so the ASSume and woulds are not enough.

No problem.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old December 22, 2011, 07:35 AM
aleCcowaN's Avatar
aleCcowaN aleCcowaN is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 2,913
Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I see, so the ASSume and woulds are not enough.

No problem.
I understood that as you were really asking those questions to me. If they were just rhetorical ones or you were trying to pull out some specific answer on my part, I wouldn't have replied at all .
__________________
[gone]
¡Jorbáis! Me fui en busca de mejores puertos.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old December 22, 2011, 08:49 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
I understood that as you were really asking those questions to me. If they were just rhetorical ones or you were trying to pull out some specific answer on my part, I wouldn't have replied at all .
As I said, no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old December 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
caliber1's Avatar
caliber1 caliber1 is offline
Pearl
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon's great Northwest
Posts: 345
Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post


Well, is your friend a Mexican or an American.
Yes . LOL. Technically, she would be American (US citizen), but going along with the discussion, why does she refer to herself as Mexican if she was born and raised in the States? I completely understand what Alec is saying and it does make sense, but this seems contradictory. Does that make sense ?

Angelica: Thanks for the info on the generational citizenship for Mexico. That is a very interesting fact. I had no idea. Thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old December 22, 2011, 11:08 PM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
Yes . LOL. Technically, she would be American (US citizen), but going along with the discussion, why does she refer to herself as Mexican if she was born and raised in the States? I completely understand what Alec is saying and it does make sense, but this seems contradictory. Does that make sense ?

Angelica: Thanks for the info on the generational citizenship for Mexico. That is a very interesting fact. I had no idea. Thanks,
Because she is American!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old December 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
caliber1's Avatar
caliber1 caliber1 is offline
Pearl
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon's great Northwest
Posts: 345
Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old December 23, 2011, 02:48 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
It's not the economy. Economy goes well everywhere. It's the increasingly authoritarian ambience together with the social disorder and disruption that is sold as "democracy" and "tolerance". Just to start, government confiscated my retirement funds by law, retirement funds that I was forced by law to finance. I'm not good at the Continental China model -political and economical- that is developing here, specially when they may kill you in the streets and public transportation is a nightmare -what I don't think it's happening in China-. I'm not selling my rights and freedom for money, as many seem to do here.
You might be interested in this article about an exodus of Europeans to countries such as Argentina. This is the result of the dire economic situation in Europe at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old December 23, 2011, 06:34 AM
aleCcowaN's Avatar
aleCcowaN aleCcowaN is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 2,913
Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
You might be interested in this article about an exodus of Europeans to countries such as Argentina. This is the result of the dire economic situation in Europe at the moment.
Well, though it's not the topic, a lot of pretty informal people who doesn't stand work order and efficiency become here "the ideal German worker" just by contrast. Additionally, any woodyalenesque person may find Buenos Aires his or her place in the world. Like it's said in the movie "Cuento chino" when looking at a Chinese man stranded in Buenos Aires: "Mirá qué lindo pelo que tiene ¡Y claro! ¡Son 5000 años de cultura!", any old-world fellow will do great here, a place not exotic at all but allowing you to live as exotically as you need in order to call you and adventurer or a free spirit.
__________________
[gone]
¡Jorbáis! Me fui en busca de mejores puertos.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark this thread at:

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with learning Spanish Anna Teaching and Learning Techniques 14 October 03, 2008 09:41 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X