Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Can someone proofread this (Una receta)

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 26, 2010, 07:27 PM
Opal

Liliacam is on a distinguished road
Can someone proofread this (Una receta)

Quote:
We are presenting on Spanish food and need to use "Se Impersonal" so please correct my grammar. This is a simplified version of a recipe for paella mixta.

Also, I used "poner" many times...is there another word I could use that implies "add" or "put in"? This is supposed to be very simple so I can't introduce too much new vocabulary.

La receta para Paella Mixta:

1. Los ingredientes que se necesitan son: tomates, calamar, almejas, arroz, pollo, aceite de oliva, azafrán, y camarón.

2. Primero, se cortan el pollo.

3. Luego, se limpian y se cortan los calamares en anillos. Entonces, se cortan los tomates

4. Se pone aceite de oliva en el sartén. Entonces se ponen los tomates y el pollo en el sartén.

5. Se pone el arroz en forma de cruz. Se revolve (I want to say "to stir") el arroz para cinco minutos.

6. Se pone azafrán y se revolve todo. Luego, se pone los camarónes y se arreglan las almejas alrededor del (I want to say put the clams around the edge of the pan, in a circle. I'm not sure if this is the proper phrase for it) sartén.

7. Se cocinan todos los ingredientes para diez minutos.

8. Finalmente, se disfruta! (trying to say "Enjoy!" in the way that recipes tell you to enjoy your meal...)
Thank you all for your corrections. Here's my final version with the corrections, if I forgot anything please respond and that's all I need:

1. Los ingredientes que se necesitan son: tomates, calamar, almejas, arroz, pollo, aceite de oliva, azafrán, y camarón.

2. Primero, se corta el pollo.

3. Luego, se limpian y se cortan los calamares en anillos. Entonces, se cortan los tomates.

4. Se pone aceite de oliva en el sartén. Entonces se le ponen los tomates y el pollo.

5. Se pone el arroz en forma de cruz. Se revuelve el arroz por cinco minutos.

6. Se pone azafrán y se revuelve todo. Luego, se ponen los camarones y se arreglan las almejas alrededor del sartén.

7. Se cocinan todos los ingredientes por diez minutos.

8. Finalmente, ¡se disfruta!

Last edited by Liliacam; April 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: response to everyone

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliacam View Post
We are presenting on Spanish food and need to use "Se Impersonal" so please correct my grammar. This is a simplified version of a recipe for paella mixta.

Also, I used "poner" many times...is there another word I could use that implies "add" or "put in"? This is supposed to be very simple so I can't introduce too much new vocabulary.

2. Primero, se cortan el pollo. (Pollo is singular)

3. Luego, se limpian y se cortan los calamares en anillos. Entonces, se cortan los tomates.

4. Se pone aceite de oliva en el sartén. Entonces se ponen los tomates y el pollo (en el sartén). (You've already mentioned the pan, so it's understood that's where you'll add the tomatoes and the chicken).
Btw, you could have said "Entonces se le ponen los tomates y el pollo", and it would be clearer that they'll be fried in the oil you've poured before.

5. Se pone el arroz en forma de cruz. Se revolve (I want to say "to stir") (revolver is the right verb, but conjugation is wrong) el arroz para ("para" indicates a purpose, but you're using time here. You need another preposition) cinco minutos.

6. Se pone azafrán y se revolve (irregular verb, wrong conjugation) todo. Luego, se pone ("camarones" is a plural) los camarones y se arreglan las almejas alrededor del (I want to say put the clams around the edge of the pan, in a circle. I'm not sure if this is the proper phrase for it) sartén (alrededor would be well understood).

7. Se cocinan todos los ingredientes para (purpose vs. duration again) diez minutos.

8. Finalmente, ¡se disfruta! (trying to say "Enjoy!" in the way that recipes tell you to enjoy your meal...) ("Se disfruta" is correct)

Good job.
Some hints and comments above.

"To add" in recipes can be "añadir", "incorporar", "agregar"...

"To stir" can be "revolver", "mezclar", "mover"...

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; April 26, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:58 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
For the "impersonal se" construction, I've been taught to use a singular third person all the time. For the "passive se" construction, I've been taught to match the number.

"Impersonal Se"
Se mezcla la sal y el ajo en polvo ...
You mix / One mixes the salt and the powdered garlic ...

"Passive Se"
Se mezclan la sal y el ajo en polvo ...
The salt and the powdered garlic are mixed ...

I used the passive voice for the second translation to make the difference clear.
Old April 26, 2010, 09:01 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
¿Por qué se pone los camarones y se arreglan las almejas?

¿No debiera ser "se ponen los camarones y se arreglan las almejas?
Old April 26, 2010, 09:09 PM
Señor Speedy

I would use the singular form for both.
Look here or here. The "impersonal se" uses the singular 3rd person only. It differs from the "passive se".

Last edited by Rusty; April 26, 2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: provided additional source
Old April 27, 2010, 12:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
No se usa sartén para cocinar paella. Hay que usar una paella. (Hay algo de desacuerdo de vocabulario aquí: algunos la llaman una paellera, pero en Valencia, de donde viene la paella, una paellera es una mujer que cocina paella).

Además, no se revuelve, y los tiempos que has puesto son bastante cortos. Después de añadir el arroz necesita algo como veinte minutos.
Old April 27, 2010, 12:53 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Es lo que pensaba yo, que con diez minutos, ni las gallinas se lo comen...

El arroz mejor echarlo con un movimiento circular, lo de tirarlo en cruz no lo había oído nunca. Y aquí se dice remover .
Old April 27, 2010, 07:43 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I would use the singular form for both.
Look here or here. The "impersonal se" uses the singular 3rd person only. It differs from the "passive se".
Thank you Rusty.

Would you point me exactly to the rule? I didn't find it.

What's more. The link you provided, under "Passive SE" first rule, makes me think that it is the other way of what you proposed.

Can you straighten me out, please?

Last edited by chileno; April 27, 2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old April 27, 2010, 09:44 AM
Señor Speedy

Liliacam's assignment is to use the "impersonal se" construction. Look only for that construction in the two links I gave.
In the first link I gave (to the page written in English), the IMPERSONAL SE heading is the second heading. The first sentence reads "Impersonal se appears only with third-person singular verb forms." That is the rule.
In the second link I gave (to the page written in Spanish), the Se impersonal heading is the seventh heading. The second sentence ends "son oraciones unimembres, sólo con Predicado, con un verbo en tercera persona singular." That is the rule.

What Angelica proposed was the "passive se" construction.
Old April 27, 2010, 12:42 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Liliacam's assignment is to use the "impersonal se" construction. Look only for that construction in the two links I gave.
In the first link I gave (to the page written in English), the IMPERSONAL SE heading is the second heading. The first sentence reads "Impersonal se appears only with third-person singular verb forms." That is the rule.
In the second link I gave (to the page written in Spanish), the Se impersonal heading is the seventh heading. The second sentence ends "son oraciones unimembres, sólo con Predicado, con un verbo en tercera persona singular." That is the rule.

What Angelica proposed was the "passive se" construction.
Got it. :-)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: