Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Study recommendations?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 20, 2015, 09:10 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Excellent poli! That's very usefull. I'm going to study it and then I'll tell you my experience.
Here I can buy it in digital format... But I'm soon travelling to London, so maybe I'll find it in some London (or Spain) bookstore. Thanks!

*question: is "maybe I will ..." correct? or is it reiterative?
As Rusty stated, "maybe I will" is correct and natural -sounding, but the London (or Spain) bookstore needs a tweak. A London bookstore is OK, but Spain should be Spanish. You can say Madrid bookstore. England bookstore is wrong, but English bookstore is right.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:19 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Thank you both!
Old January 31, 2015, 04:50 AM
Sapphire

Can you recommend me some online radio with clear pronunciation in order to practice? I'm only familiar with BBC London and Kiro Radio.

Thanks in advance!
Old January 31, 2015, 12:37 PM

National Public Radio (NPR) often presents well educated Americans on talk shows that may be an alternative to BBC. Some programs like "All Things Considered" and "Morning Edition" can be interesting.
Old February 01, 2015, 09:05 PM
Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
National Public Radio (NPR) often presents well educated Americans on talk shows that may be an alternative to BBC. Some programs like "All Things Considered" and "Morning Edition" can be interesting.
Thanks poli, I'll listen to it and I'tell you latter!
Old February 15, 2015, 09:43 AM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Roxerz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
It's hard to find English teachers in Buenos Aires onduring January and February .
Why is that? I would assume that it's nice and warm during that time since you're in the opposite hemisphere. I am interested in going to Buenos Aires in the future to travel and practice my Spanish even though I have heard the accent and the slang is much harder to understand for a native English speaker.

I agree on listening to NPR.
Old February 16, 2015, 01:04 PM
Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxerz View Post
Why is that? I would assume that it's nice and warm during that time since you're in the opposite hemisphere. I am interested in going to Buenos Aires in the future to travel and practice my Spanish even though I have heard the accent and the slang is much harder to understand for a native English speaker.

I agree on listening to NPR.
January and February = holidays. The "Ciudad Autónoma of Buenos Aires" lowers a lot its rythm, and people travel to anothers cities with beaches or mountains, or to other countries, or to their native towns, etc. Institutes generally close their doors till March or April. But you surely will find a particular teacher, or an institute with summer courses.

From the other hand... warm and nice may depend on what you are accustomed... Don't forget Buenos Aires is VERY humid, and 35 º C with 99% of humidity can easily be 45 º C of termic sensation and... humidity makes everything very uncomfortable.

Look at this table of how humidity can affect how you fell the temperature.

It's common around here to have between 50% and 99% of humidity, all year round, so if you live in a place with low humidity, when reading that in Bs As's winter you have 12ºC, take at least 5ºC , and in summer if you read 30ºC, add at least 5ºC!

When informing the temperature, the media always use the "sensación térmica" (heat index in EEUU). For example today we have 27ºC and near 30ºC of ST, with 50% of humidity. 30ºC of ST is the important one.

About the accent... I can't say a lot about it, but I've heard that you get use quite fast to our pronunciation, and then it's just Spanish. About our slang... I think it will not be a problem... I mean... we can talk without it.

------------------------

Argentinian best known radio
Another classy one
Another one
Retro music, but sometimes they talk
Both, music and chat

------------------------

I'm listening to NPR, thanks! Another one to recommend? with a different approach?

Last edited by ookami; February 16, 2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old February 18, 2015, 09:26 AM

January and February = holidays. It's when the rhythm slows down in "Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires". People travel to other cities with beaches or mountains, or even other countries, or to their home towns, etc. Schools generally close their doors until March or April, but surely you can find a teacher or institute with summer courses.

On the other hand, warm and nice may depend on what you are accustomed to. Don't forget Buenos Aires is VERY humid, and 35 C(I cannot find the degree symbol on my keyboard) with 99% humidity can create a heat index of 45C. Look at this table to see how humidity effects the heat index.

It's common around here to have between 50% to 99% humidity all year round, so if you live in a region with low humidity, the heat index may make temperatures unbearable for you.

Sensación térmica is the term we use for what is known in the USA as heat index. For example, today temperatures will reach 27C, but humidity will make it feel like 30C. The ST is a more important gauge than the actual temperature for measuring comfort.

About the accent, I can't say a lot about it, but I've heard that you can get used to our pronunciation quite quickly.
About our slang, I think it will not be a problem. I mean we can talk without it.

Nice English but it needed some tweaks. Quote didn't work, so I hope I didn't make too many transcription errors.
Old February 18, 2015, 04:00 PM
Sapphire

Thank you a lot poli! those corrections really help me!
I realize I've serious expression and grammar problems. I need practice, practice, and more practice.

Regards
Old May 16, 2015, 08:21 PM
Opal

Native Language: Spanish
Doncruz is on a distinguished road
What I do is combine something I love to do / learn and then search for that in english.
Ex, I love anything astronomy, so instead of reading or watching it in spanish I just look for it in english. I never read or watch anything random or just because is there, I tried it before and I got really bored too easily. It just got to be fun and I'd do it for hours.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: