Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Be an impersonator if you want to learn Spanish or anyother second language!

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Closed Thread

Old April 04, 2010, 01:48 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Be an impersonator if you want to learn Spanish or anyother second language!

I teach Spanish on Monday and Wed. nights to adults. I teach Italian to adults on Tues. and Thursday nights.
I'm having the time of my life. Would teach for free. I received a scholarship from the Italian government and went to
an Italian university in 2007. Rented an apartment in Perugia, Italy and went total immersion. I had lived in Italy for 2
years before that. Last summer I spent a month in Italy. I also received a scholarship and went to school in Mexico
in 1996. San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico.

I also speak French and Portuguese.

I wrote the following from my experiences learning languages:

Be an impersonator like Rich Little if you want to learn another language by Villa

Rich Little is one of the top impersonators of famous people in the world.
Rich studies their voices and then imitates the sound of their voice and
mannerisms. Last summer I visited my Italian friend in Vicenza, Veneto, Italia.
He's a teacher and talks constantly. I recorded him speaking Italian and then
listened to my recordings over and over until his speech patterns and the language
he spoke seemed to be coming from my own mouth. Later I visited in Milano, Italy and
the people there told me that my Italian was not only very good, but that I spoke with the
Italian of an Italian from the Veneto region of Italy!

From this experience of imitation, it occured to me(has occured to me) that learning a language is
the same as learning to be a language impersonator! To employ this simple technique,
buy a collection of Italian/Spanish/French/Portuguese audio books and/or languages conversations
on CD and then listen to them over and over until they seem very familar
to your ear and then imitate them. Italians have told me I speak as if I was born in southern Italy
as I've listened and then imitated their speech patterns and sounds by repeatedly listening
to recordings of that area. I've learned to imitate Spanish conversations from CDs of people
from Mexico, Cuba, Argentina,Colombia, Peru, and Spain. I can make my speech imitate language
sounds as if I've lived in those countries by listening and then imitating their regional language
and accents. A Colombian told me that I sounded like those who live in his home town in Colombia.
I accomplished this fete by listening to a conversation repeatedly between two Colombian brothers.
A fellow from Guadalajara, Mexico said I sounded like I was from Guadalajara because I had listened to
people from there. A Mexican fellow, while listening to my Spanish, told me he was attempting to figure
out what part of Mexico I was from by my accent. He said that I spoke perfect Mexican Spanish and
he thought I was Mexican! And all this from listening and then imitating!When I went to Cuba people
I met there asked me if I was from Mexico. One time I spoke like a Cuban when I was visiting in Mexico
and the Mexicans there thought I was Cuban! When I speak Spanish with my Italian accent people think
I'm from Argentina.

My point is that if you love languages like I do, simply listen and then imitate the language!

Last edited by Villa; April 04, 2010 at 01:54 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 04, 2010, 04:20 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Villa es muy bueno consejo, siempre olvido que es una herramienta fuerte pero cuando dices así es obvio. gracias por escribir!
Old April 05, 2010, 08:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I'd like to learn the French.

How can I start in the learning of the language?
Really I've not knowledge absolute of the language, I don't domain anything that language.

I don't know any words related to that language.
And well I'd like to start it with.

Please you give me advice of as can I start to the slow learning of the French.
Is it hard to learn?
Old April 05, 2010, 10:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Good advice, Villa . This is the way children learn their own language (a vestige from our primate forefathers ).
Old April 05, 2010, 10:37 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I'd like to learn the French.

How can I start in the learning of the language?
Really I've not knowledge absolute of the language, I don't domain anything that language.

I don't know any words related to that language.
And well I'd like to start it with.

Please you give me advice of as can I start to the slow learning of the French.
Is it hard to learn?

Bonjour
, Bonsoir, Bonne nuit, Salut, Au revoir, S'il vous plaît / S'il te plaît, Merci (beaucoup), De rien., Je vous en prie.

CrOtALiTo, Estas cambiando el tema pero ni modo.

Escuchame bien. Those of us who speak any of the Latin lanugages can learn any of them
relativamente facil/facile. Per esempio/por ejemplo: Was going to school in San Miguel De Allende,
Guanajuato, Mexico and in San Miguel they have this famous ice cream, candy, food place where
everybody goes. Well the guy who owns the place is from France married to a Mexican lady. The
French guy speaks fluent Spanish. I asked him how he learned Spanish and he said it was easy for
him because he speaks French.
Now here's the deal. It is easier for a Spanish speaker to learn Italian than learning French but Italian
is closer to French than Spanish is. So learn Italian before learning French and then you
can learn French easier.

All these words below are French, Spanish and look very similar to English words: Notice the first ones are the same as English.

actor doctor, tractor, interior, color, error, professor, exterior, conductor, favor, inventor,
superior, animal, central, personal, criminal, comercial musical, rural, social, canal
legal criminal, cable, posible, formidable, noble, notable flexible, hirrible, probable,
inevitable Atlantico, romantico automatico, presidente, excelente, accidente, cliente, inteligente...
Podemos seguir asi tutto il santo giorno con palabras asi.

Entre mas vocabulario you know in Spanish the easier it is to learn Italian, French and
Portuguese e visa versa. In other words the more eduacated you are in your own language
then you can learn other languages easier. If you are more educated then you have a higher
level of vocabulario in your own language. Sin embargo/however the reverse of this is also true.
When we study other languages it always makes us better at our own lanugage.
Es curioso pero cierto!

De todas maneras acabo de mandarte un corso de Frances. Fammi sapere/Dejame saber que te parece.

Last edited by Villa; April 05, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old April 05, 2010, 08:12 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post

Bonjour
, Bonsoir, Bonne nuit, Salut, Au revoir, S'il vous plaît / S'il te plaît, Merci (beaucoup), De rien., Je vous en prie.

CrOtALiTo, Estas cambiando el tema pero ni modo.

Escuchame bien. Those of us who speak any of the Latin lanugages can learn any of them
relativamente facil/facile. Per esempio/por ejemplo: Was going to school in San Miguel De Allende,
Guanajuato, Mexico and in San Miguel they have this famous ice cream, candy, food place where
everybody goes. Well the guy who owns the place is from France married to a Mexican lady. The
French guy speaks fluent Spanish. I asked him how he learned Spanish and he said it was easy for
him because he speaks French.
Now here's the deal. It is easier for a Spanish speaker to learn Italian than learning French but Italian
is closer to French than Spanish is. So learn Italian before learning French and then you
can learn French easier.

All these words below are French, Spanish and look very similar to English words: Notice the first ones are the same as English.

actor doctor, tractor, interior, color, error, professor, exterior, conductor, favor, inventor,
superior, animal, central, personal, criminal, comercial musical, rural, social, canal
legal criminal, cable, posible, formidable, noble, notable flexible, hirrible, probable,
inevitable Atlantico, romantico automatico, presidente, excelente, accidente, cliente, inteligente...
Podemos seguir asi tutto il santo giorno con palabras asi.

Entre mas vocabulario you know in Spanish the easier it is to learn Italian, French and
Portuguese e visa versa. In other words the more eduacated you are in your own language
then you can learn other languages easier. If you are more educated then you have a higher
level of vocabulario in your own language. Sin embargo/however the reverse of this is also true.
When we study other languages it always makes us better at our own lanugage.
Es curioso pero cierto!

De todas maneras acabo de mandarte un corso de Frances. Fammi sapere/Dejame saber que te parece.
I'm so sorry.

Only I wanted to express my feeling with the language
Old April 06, 2010, 08:48 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Yes, this is obvious and is the best you can do to learn pronunciation. The same can be done with grammar and vocabulary. Just take a interesant book of the language you are learning and try to read, it's the best. For example, if you know Spanish, with, let's say eight hours of French or Italian grammar, you can read almost everything that is at your hand without too much effor, with a dictionary at your side.
Old April 06, 2010, 02:01 PM
Diamond

Yes, I believe that everybody here are agree with the reading of grammatic's books, and well I'm too.

And well I believe even in the methodology of the learning in the schools with a excellent teacher foreign in the school, of thus mode I can be sure that mix up that two ways to learn the language, you'll be able to learn the more faster possible.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: