Old May 02, 2012, 01:31 PM
Opal

Native Language: Portuguese
RuiX-8 is on a distinguished road
Hello from Portugal!

Hello to all. My name is Rui, i'm a 33 year-old single male from Portugal, passionate about life in general and languages in particular, including mine, wich i think is beautiful-sounding and very rich.
I speak english fairly well i think, beginner-to-intermediate spanish, a bit of french and a bit of german.
Despite my passion always had little to no time to learn, until now.
Projects for the future are to improve the languages i already speak a little, and learn three more: mirandes, wich is a portuguese dialect, creole from Cabo Verde, and japanese.
Congratulations on a great forum by the way.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:46 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Bem vindos.
People will be happy to help you here with questions about Spanish or English.

I agree Portuguese sounds very nice. Do you fine Brazilian Portuguese difficult to understand?
Old May 02, 2012, 02:53 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Español
Don José is on a distinguished road
Welcome.

By the way, creole from Cabo Verde is the language Cesária Évora used in her songs?
Old May 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums!
Old May 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Bem vindos.
People will be happy to help you here with questions about Spanish or English.

I agree Portuguese sounds very nice. Do you fine Brazilian Portuguese difficult to understand?
Thank you all for the friendly welcome.
Sorry for correcting, somehow it doesn't feel polite, but that's how we help each other, so here it goes.
'Bem-vindos' is plural, i mean for when the welcome is aimed at more than one subject.
'Bem-vindo' is the correct way for this case.
And it's hyphenated. It's 'bem-vindo' and not 'bem vindo'. Portuguese makes frequent use of the hyphen, but a lot less now that it has been revised to make it simpler and to make it more like the brazilian portuguese.
Regarding brazilian portuguese, we understand it perfectly. Many words are different, or used in a different manner, and many expressions of the spoken language are different, but it's 100% understandable, despite the accent being completely different. Because of this difference in accents we understand brazilian portuguese perfectly but they tend to find it dificult to understand us when we speak a bit faster.
This happens because their accent is much more 'open' and ours is much more closed. I don't know how to explain this technically..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don José View Post
Welcome.

By the way, creole from Cabo Verde is the language Cesária Évora used in her songs?
Thanks.
Yes, her songs are in creole from Cabo Verde.
Cheers.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; May 02, 2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:08 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
¡Bienvenido Rui! I took Japanese in high school because I felt like everyone and their grandma took it so I wanted to do something different. Oh the irony. Now I'm passionate about Spanish and can only remember a few things about Japanese. It is a cool language. They have three alphabets; Hiragana, Katagana, and Kanji so that could be a little tough. But nonetheless, I hope you enjoy the forums. I've found them very helpful.
Old May 04, 2012, 09:58 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Hello Rui.

My name is George and I'm from Mexico, I was born in Carmen City around of the 80's well, I'm a integrated more in the forums since the 2008 and I have learnt a lot of here with all in the forums, in fact here I have leant the majority of my English practising and writing a lot of during all the day, therefore I have got a lot experience speaking and writing, although sometimes I made one and other mistake in my writings, but the y are corrected immediately.

Sometimes I wrote in the forums in the small hours although I had sleep, but my compromise with myself was learn a lot of about the language in the less possible.

And it has help me much in my labour world, already since I know speak a little English and I'm able to take a conversation with a foreign in English, I had a lot chances to earn more money fortnightly and it has result advantageous for me.

I hope you can read all my repertory hahahah, and if you need help with your learning, I will pleased to give you a hand pal.

Greetings.
Old May 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Opal

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Cheers.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:11 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Benvindo

Link to this thread