Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

I need opinions of Spanish courses

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old March 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
Ruby

tmember is on a distinguished road
I need opinions of Spanish courses

I'm interested in learning Spanish and have done my homework on the Net researching courses that might be helpful. Because a few of them seem of equal value I came to this forum to hopefully get some opinions on the different courses other members are using.

But one rule here gave me pause. It says, "Do not post advertisements or do any self-promotion of any product, service, website or affiliate link. Legitimate discussions of notable language-learning products and services are encouraged."

I've read a lot of posts to search out opinions on Spanish courses but find the mention of them by name by the various posters here are removed for some reason, which pretty much guts the purpose of their posts, and the information I need most. It looks like there are only two courses that are allowed to be mentioned here, and they happen to be two that I've already ruled out (Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone).

Are we not allowed to get guidance here from others about the various Spanish courses members have used and found helpful? So far, because the names of other Spanish courses have been removed, the only advice I see left is to listen to the radio and watch TV. That's obvious and not too helpful. I'd really like to know what courses others have used and like and have found helpful. I sure hope that's possible.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 27, 2010, 11:56 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
My opinion:

Very few members have used courses other than the two you have ruled out, and they came here to augment their learning. They aren't looking for another course.

I believe the best advice has already been given - read books, translate them back into your native tongue, watch movies, listen to TV and radio programs, and befriend native speakers. The last is, in my opinion, the very best option because you get the opportunity to speak the language.

Speaking as a moderator:

If links have been removed from posts, it is because the links were mostly promotional in nature. This is not allowed, and that is the only reason for censure. Legitimate discussions of Spanish courses are allowed. Legitimate links to helpful sites (not necessarily Spanish courses) and learning materials (including books, movies, etc.) are allowed. You, yourself, may not post ANY links until sufficient time has passed.

This topic, however interesting it may be, attracts many spammers. Spamming our forums is not tolerated, so some of the replies you receive will be edited or removed.
Old March 28, 2010, 11:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
The better learning in the language is the practice.
Inclusive here you can learn the language together between the forum users, because normally the users goes to resources found in the internet and sometimes they aren't understanding for the beginner.
Old March 28, 2010, 12:07 PM
Emerald

Native Language: english
hermit is on a distinguished road
Right - If you know the basics, and have a good textbook/study guide,
and a comprehensive dictionary (I have used Cassel's for years, but there are other good ones, too.) the only thing lacking is to post your questions here; you'll be pleased, I'm sure, with the resources available on this site.
Old March 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
Right - If you know the basics, and have a good textbook/study guide,
and a comprehensive dictionary (I have used Cassel's for years, but there are other good ones, too.) the only thing lacking is to post your questions here; you'll be pleased, I'm sure, with the resources available on this site.
Yes exactly, I said the same, he needs post more here in the forums, everything your doubts above the language or questions that you have.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:57 AM
Ruby

Thanks for all your responses. I'm really interested in getting right into conversational Spanish. There are two programs I'm trying to decide between and am wondering which one is the best overall program. One is Visual Link Spanish and the other is Rocket Spanish. Both of them get good reviews, but Visual Link seems to be a little more conversational oriented. Does anyone here have an opinion as to which one you think is the overall best or most comprensive program of these two?
Old March 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
Pearl

Native Language: inglés/ British English
Here4good is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmember View Post
I'm interested in learning Spanish and have done my homework on the Net researching courses that might be helpful. Because a few of them seem of equal value I came to this forum to hopefully get some opinions on the different courses other members are using.

But one rule here gave me pause. It says, "Do not post advertisements or do any self-promotion of any product, service, website or affiliate link. Legitimate discussions of notable language-learning products and services are encouraged."

I've read a lot of posts to search out opinions on Spanish courses but find the mention of them by name by the various posters here are removed for some reason, which pretty much guts the purpose of their posts, and the information I need most. It looks like there are only two courses that are allowed to be mentioned here, and they happen to be two that I've already ruled out (Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone).

Are we not allowed to get guidance here from others about the various Spanish courses members have used and found helpful? So far, because the names of other Spanish courses have been removed, the only advice I see left is to listen to the radio and watch TV. That's obvious and not too helpful. I'd really like to know what courses others have used and like and have found helpful. I sure hope that's possible.
Here are some links to free stuff on the internet that you might find interesting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...r-1860929.html

http://www.practicespanishonline.com/
Old March 29, 2010, 02:13 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4good View Post
Here are some links to free stuff on the internet that you might find interesting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...r-1860929.html

http://www.practicespanishonline.com/
I know the Bbc one and I think it's quite good.
Old March 29, 2010, 02:17 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmember View Post
Thanks for all your responses. I'm really interested in getting right into conversational Spanish. There are two programs I'm trying to decide between and am wondering which one is the best overall program. One is Visual Link Spanish and the other is Rocket Spanish. Both of them get good reviews, but Visual Link seems to be a little more conversational oriented. Does anyone here have an opinion as to which one you think is the overall best or most comprensive program of these two?
Good if you are interesting in the learning of the language, as you say, then you should to start for read a lot of books with the language that you need to learn, so I believe that your knowledge will be more consistent in the sense that you will be able to understand a conversation in Spanish, and I feel that also you would consider a teacher Spanish in your routine daily.

Good luck with your learning beginner
Old March 31, 2010, 04:57 PM
Ruby

Has anyone here had actual experience with Rocket Spanish or Visual Link Spanish?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: