Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 14, 2011, 06:51 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Random and randomness

These words in informal American language puzzle me as I can get a fixed notion and I suspect that it has different meaning according to age group or its meaning may be evolving "as we talk" and it hasn't stabilized yet.

Of course, I think it's fair to say that all of us understand the basic meaning of "azaroso" or "aleatorio", and all its associations with chance and patternless outcomes. But the actual use seems to be random itself. For instance I think I understand "random thoughts" as an unchained sequence of thoughts and "ideas que van y que vienen" typical of people who is relaxed, or tired, or in any other situation that prevents them from focusing their thoughts. In that case I think "ideas sueltas" and "pensamientos desordenados" may do. Options are welcome.

On the other hand today I came across a video about some "pool randomness" with some teenagers fooling around by and in a pool to the point of hospitalization. It was apparent to me that they were just, if you excuse my French, "boludeando", "haciendo pendejadas" and other "gilipolleces variadas".

But I remember an interview maybe a couple of years ago where Letterman got Matt Daemon making an impression of Mathew McConaughy, talking with a Texan accent and speaking of barbecuing something and recommending Letterman "taking his shirt off to get more chicks". Letterman congratulates Daemon with an "Excellent!!" and Matt replies "Random!!". What did he mean by "random"?

Any insight on this random word is welcome.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: