Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Does this paragraph have any errors?

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old August 02, 2010, 08:54 PM
Ruby

richard148 is on a distinguished road
Does this paragraph have any errors?

¡Yo estudio mucho! Tú para encontrar mí en la biblioteca casi todo el tiempo. Yo tomo las clases de las mathmaticá, la computación y la historia. Me favorito es clase de historia. Me gusta historia y estudio el pasado. La profesora es muy bien y enseña excelente. Los profesores de la computación y las mathmaticá no es bueno. Los estudiantes en las clases son amistoso y para ayudan con la tarea.

This is basically what I am trying to say.

I study a lot! You can find me in the library almost all the time. The classes I am taking are math, computer science and history. My favorite class is history. I like history and studying the past. The teacher is very nice and can teach really well. The professors of computer science and math are not good. The students in the classes are friendly and like to help with homework.

¡Gracias!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 02, 2010, 09:57 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I moved your post to the 'Practice & Homework' forum because I assume you wouldn't want us to just translate the paragraph. In this forum, we'll try to give you hints and help you to understand why things need changed.

Your paragraph has many errors.
What is your level of Spanish? (What verb tenses have you studied? What is your vocabulary level?) We can tailor our help to your level, if you let us know.
Old August 02, 2010, 10:29 PM
Ruby

Hey Rusty,

I appreciate you moving the topic to the appropriate thread. I am indeed looking for hints and advice.

I just started Spanish two weeks ago. I have a really basic vocabulary and have gone through the present tense ar verbs as well as the basics of estar.

Thanks for your help.
Old August 02, 2010, 10:52 PM
Señor Speedy

Two weeks!? Most people would start with a much smaller set of vocabulary than what you've chosen to use.

Let's tackle one sentence (even one phrase) at a time.

¡Yo estudio mucho! There's nothing really wrong with this sentence, except that you don't need to say the subject pronoun yo. The correctly-conjugated verb ending tells us who the person is.

"You can find me" is an English phrase that is referencing no one in particular. In other words, the "you" in this phrase isn't really a person you're addressing. In Spanish, this type of construct also needs to be written in an 'impersonal' way - it shouldn't address a second person. For that reason, Spanish has an 'impersonal se' construct. English has the same thing - it's the not-so-colloquial 'one can find me' construct. To use this construct in Spanish, the impersonal pronoun se precedes the conjugated verb. Now, the problem is, you didn't write the correct verb in your phrase. There should be a conjugated form of poder (to be able) in your phrase, followed by the infinitive encontrar. Then, the direct object pronoun me needs a home. So, there are four parts of speech needed. See if you can come up with them. The rest of your second sentence is fine.
Old August 02, 2010, 10:53 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Richard:

That's an excellent effort you've done.

But I would recommend you to translate form Spanish to English. So that you can get more acquainted with translating, and manage a bit better, instead of guessing so much and hoping that you will be right.

Do you know English grammar?

I always ask that question.
Old August 03, 2010, 12:23 AM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Two weeks!? Most people would start with a much smaller set of vocabulary than what you've chosen to use.

Let's tackle one sentence (even one phrase) at a time.

¡Yo estudio mucho! There's nothing really wrong with this sentence, except that you don't need to say the subject pronoun yo. The correctly-conjugated verb ending tells us who the person is.
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

Quote:
"You can find me" is an English phrase that is referencing no one in particular. In other words, the "you" in this phrase isn't really a person you're addressing. In Spanish, this type of construct also needs to be written in an 'impersonal' way - it shouldn't address a second person. For that reason, Spanish has an 'impersonal se' construct. English has the same thing - it's the not-so-colloquial 'one can find me' construct. To use this construct in Spanish, the impersonal pronoun se precedes the conjugated verb. Now, the problem is, you didn't write the correct verb in your phrase. There should be a conjugated form of poder (to be able) in your phrase, followed by the infinitive encontrar. Then, the direct object pronoun me needs a home. So, there are four parts of speech needed. See if you can come up with them. The rest of your second sentence is fine.
Should it look like this?
Se poder encontrar me en la biblioteca casi todo el tiempo.

Since its being written in an "impersonal" way what should the ending of the infinitive be? Do I keep it ar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno

But I would recommend you to translate form Spanish to English. So that you can get more acquainted with translating, and manage a bit better, instead of guessing so much and hoping that you will be right.

¡Gracias! Thanks for the advice and I do know English pretty well. I have been speaking it for several years.
Old August 03, 2010, 01:05 AM
Señor Speedy

Escribiste: Se poder encontrar me

The first word (the impersonal se) is correctly used.
The next word needs to be conjugated. Be careful, this particular verb is irregular. If you don't already know it, the box in the upper left-hand corner of this page will provide verb conjugations. All you need to do is type in 'poder' and select 'Conjugations' from the menu. The present indicative tense is the first block of conjugations given. Just pick the correct one for the person. Wait! I said there was no subject. So, what person is used with the impersonal construct? The third person. Use the singular form.

The direct object pronoun me appears in the correct place, but it needs to be suffixed to the infinitive encontrar. 'Infinitive' means that it isn't conjugated, so the -ar ending remains untouched. It is the verb poder that needs to be conjugated.
Old August 03, 2010, 02:06 AM
Ruby

Quote:
Escribiste: Se poder encontrar me

The first word (the impersonal se) is correctly used.
The next word needs to be conjugated. Be careful, this particular verb is irregular. If you don't already know it, the box in the upper left-hand corner of this page will provide verb conjugations. All you need to do is type in 'poder' and select 'Conjugations' from the menu. The present indicative tense is the first block of conjugations given. Just pick the correct one for the person. Wait! I said there was no subject. So, what person is used with the impersonal construct? The third person. Use the singular form.

The direct object pronoun me appears in the correct place, but it needs to be suffixed to the infinitive encontrar. 'Infinitive' means that it isn't conjugated, so the -ar ending remains untouched. It is the verb poder that needs to be conjugated.
Makes sense now!

Se puede encontrar me
Old August 03, 2010, 05:25 AM
Señor Speedy

Very close! What did I say to do with the direct object pronoun?

Before we do the next sentences, look up how 'math' is spelled, and make sure you know the gender of all the nouns you used. Adjectives must agree in number and gender with the nouns they modify. Verbs must agree with their subjects.
A number of your mistakes fall into these areas. Perhaps you can change a few more things and lessen their numbers.
Old August 03, 2010, 07:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Richard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard148 View Post

¡Gracias! Thanks for the advice and I do know English pretty well. I have been speaking it for several years.
I never doubted you spoke English well. It is precisely why I am advising you to translate from Spanish to English.

I, in turn, do not speak English or Spanish well, despite the fact that I've been living in the US for thirty years and I am a native of Chile. I call it ignorance, of which I am conscientiously aware.

Then it seems your native language is not English?

Thank you anyway.

Hernan.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: