Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Correctly conjugating into the imperativo

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old August 04, 2011, 01:45 AM
Opal

DeeJayCruiser is on a distinguished road
Correctly conjugating into the imperativo

Hey all I attended a Spanish school over a year ago and miss it so i wanted to brush up.

Here's the example in my textbook but I am having a having a hard time conjugating the examples correctly

Basically I must take a phrase and conjugate it using the conditional

So for e.g.

"Me traerias mi chaqueta por favor" ---- Traeme mi chaqueta por favor

So here are the other examples, perhasp if someone could guide me through how to properly conjugate to conditional it would be great

Me pasarias el pan por favor ---- (I Put) Pasariasme al pan, por favor

Me ayudarias a subir esa caja ---- (I Put) Ayudariasme a subirlo

Me acercarias en coche a la estacion? ---- Acercariasme en cocho a la estacion?

Please correct as necessary and let me know how I can fix my conjugations for the future.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 04, 2011, 02:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
It's not clear what you need. You have there sentences using conditional and a model turning it into imperative. "Me traerías" becomes "tráeme", not "traeríasme", so you have to get the conjugations of your verbs and, for example, look for "traerías" in "traer" and get the imperative "trae" for the same person -second person singular-, and that's it.

Give it a try. We can correct what you have done, once you have done it. I hope you and other recent members realize that we can't give away solutions for exercises and tests; we can correct or confirm when a reasonable effort is evident.
Old August 04, 2011, 12:14 PM
Opal

Native Language: UK English/Spain Spanish
languagelover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayCruiser View Post
Hey all I attended a Spanish school over a year ago and miss it so i wanted to brush up.

Here's the example in my textbook but I am having a having a hard time conjugating the examples correctly

Basically I must take a phrase and conjugate it using the conditional

So for e.g.

"Me traerias mi chaqueta por favor" ---- Traeme mi chaqueta por favor

Please correct as necessary and let me know how I can fix my conjugations for the future.
It would appear that what your text book is asking you to do is change the conditional to the imperative. Not the other way around.

What you appear to have done is simply moved the pronoun (i.e. "me") to the end of the already-conditionally-conjugated example, without having changed from the conditional conjugation to the imperative conjugation.

I fear you may be trying to run before you can walk. Are you familiar with the conditional tense? Are you also familiar with the imperative tense? Because you're jumping way ahead to conditional+imperative+indirect object pronouns.

Anyway, if you're happy that you understand how to use Spanish indirect object pronouns and how to conjugate both the conditional and imperative tenses...

What you need to do is:

(1) work out what subject of your original sentence is from the conditional conjugation that you've been given. In your example, "traerías" in full would be "tú traerías" (you would bring); in other words, the subject is "tú" (you - 2nd person singular). You will need this in step 3 to select the correct imperative conjugation. Check out http://www.wordreference.com/conj/ESverbs.aspx?v=traer under the column condicional.

(2) work out what the infinitive of your conditionally-conjugated verb is. In your example, "traerías" comes from the verb "traer" (to bring).

(2) then find the imperative conjugation for "traer" for the same person/subject as in step 1. In your example, "traer" becomes "trae" ([you] bring). See the imperative conjugation for "tú" in the link above, this time under the column imperativo.

(4) Finally, you add the original pronoun to the end of the imperative to complete the conjugation. In your example, "trae" + "me" = "tráeme" (note the additional accent due to the position of the emphasis in the word - correct use of accents is another topic altogether).

Good luck!

Last edited by languagelover; August 04, 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: