Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary

Boletos loteria or billetes lotería

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old September 18, 2009, 02:15 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I really depends on the country, but you son is pretty close saying it the
right way if he is in the USA. What you would say is boleto de lotería/loto. In Spain ticket is billete. I think in Argentina loto is called la quiniela (but that may be a special lottery game based on the horses)
In Spain quinielas are based on football.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 18, 2009, 10:37 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudoin leblanc View Post
So in the case of 'buy a lottery ticket' would you say 'buy a lottery ticket'? Or 'buy a ticket for the lottery game'?

Comprar un boleto para la lotería or Comprar un boleto para el juego de la lotería

Is one preferred over the other, or is it a matter of personal taste? Also would the location (different countries) be considered for the correct sentence?

Buy a lottery ticket: Comprar un billete/boleto de lotería.
Buy a ticket for the lottery: Comprar un billete/boleto para la lotería.

Which expression you use, is your personal choice. Just a little note: "juego de la lotería" is the Mexican equivalent of your "bingo", and it has nothing to do with the lotto, even if words are almost the same. Still, your original question has been answered before the introduction of this other meaning of "lotería".

Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
In Spain quinielas are based on football.
Here, a "quiniela" is a bet of many people on many results of one kind of sport or competition. There are quinielas for a group of football matches (in the case also for baseball or American football), or horse races, dog races, etc.
Old September 18, 2009, 04:08 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudoin leblanc View Post
So in the case of 'buy a lottery ticket' would you say 'buy a lottery ticket'? Or 'buy a ticket for the lottery game'?

Comprar un boleto para la lotería or Comprar un boleto para el juego de la lotería

Is one preferred over the other, or is it a matter of personal taste? Also would the location (different countries) be considered for the correct sentence?
Exactly, if you go to buy lottery ticket then you can ask the ticket in any way, I mean, you can use your own expression always if you give the understanding of the you need in the moment.

I'll give you a littles examples.

Joven me puede vender ese boleto de loteria, gracias.

Joven puede venderme cualquier boleto loteria o juegos.

As you can see the examples are defined for the same you've said before, and well it refer to the you have asked about if is the same word in severals countries, really I can telling you, I don't know, because I think that there're any places where the ticket isn't said in the same way that my country.

At least in my country is said so.

Tags
lottery

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: